Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Obscure R.I.P. Threads.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Time to get a little controversial, (unlike me l know), but with the recent flood of R.I.P. threads on the board, it strikes me that many of the recipients really are sooo obscure.

Don't get me wrong l feel sorry when absolutely anyone passes away, (well ok not so much Adolph Hitler or Attilla the Hun maybe), but you get my drift.

I suppose the problem is, where does one draw the line, or even should a line be drawn at all? R.I.P. my cat Blossom maybe? l mean she passed away in the summer without any mention at all.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Time to get a little controversial, (unlike me l know), but with the recent flood of R.I.P. threads on the board, it strikes me that many of the recipients really are sooo obscure.

Don't get me wrong l feel sorry when absolutely anyone passes away, (well ok not so much Adolph Hitler or Attilla the Hun maybe), but you get my drift.

I suppose the problem is, where does one draw the line, or even should a line be drawn at all? R.I.P. my cat Blossom maybe? l mean she passed away in the summer without any mention at all.
I do tend to agree. I see some and think blimey where have I been all this time as I have never heard of them, or indeed many never heard of the band etc.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I like them. The more obscure the better.

I'd ban them for anyone over a certain level of celebrity. E.g. Some session guitarist who did one Bowie record - YES; Pele - NO.

To be decided by the mods in their ineffable wisdom.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Perhaps have a RIP-thread for all non-Brighton-related celebs?

Maybe with some exceptions if some ultra-mega-celeb (like the Queen or Pele) dies.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

I would've thought any RIP threads involving human deaths, whether historical or celebrity, are a time of passage for anyone who posts or reads the thread.
The person who has kicked the bucket, might have some connection, personal or other.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
I find myself perfectly capable of scrolling past threads I’ve no interest in. If a thread is hovering near the top, it suggests a number of people are interested and wish to register their feelings among their peer group, if they sink into oblivion then their obscurity is confirmed.

R.I.P. this idea.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

Who died and made you King? Oh wait, you can't tell us as that would need an RIP thread.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It does seem to have become a bit of an obscure-off.

With that, and not obscure in the slightest, I'd like to RIP Anita Pointer, of Pointer Sisters fame, who died recently and does not seem to have been recognised on these hallowed pages yet.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

With that, and not obscure in the slightest, I'd like to RIP Anita Pointer, of Pointer Sisters fame, who died recently and does not seem to have been recognised on these hallowed pages yet.
Edit - Dear God, did I get confused. The Pointer sisters aren't the Weather Girls who weren't sisters. And it was a poor joke anyway.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

👉👇👆👈☝️RIP

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

The third of the original 4 Pointer Sisters to pass away. I found that to be very sad. None of them survived to a good old age. On the plus side, the Pointer Sisters are still performing featuring the last surviving original with daughters and granddaughters.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I like them. (Well, as much as one can ever really 'like' a thread about someone's passing, that is.)

They and other threads (e.g. mental health) help to make NSC a more reflective, appreciative place which unites rather than divides.

Long live the RIP threads.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

The third of the original 4 Pointer Sisters to pass away. I found that to be very sad. None of them survived to a good old age. On the plus side, the Pointer Sisters are still performing featuring the last surviving original with daughters and granddaughters.

In which case, 👇👇👇👆

(Sorry, poor taste)

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

I think my thread re the late Tom Karen has tipped the Op over, that said surely the designer of the legendary Raleigh Chopper Bike deserves some kind of nod on his demise from blokes of a certain age?

Due to some kind of morbid curiousity I'm a frequent visitor to the the Recent Deaths page on wikipedia and am more than happy to become NSC's unoffical RIP monitor for the next 12 months. :thumbsup:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Looking back at the past week or two, I'm on 2/10 that I've heard of. Both footballers

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
We really should just be working our way through this. A fair few on there that I thought had already gone to be honest!

�������������������������������������������������
RankPrev YearAppearNameAgeDescriptionDiscuss
118Dick van Dyke98Actor
2211Henry Kissinger100Diplomat
347Bob Barker100The Price is Right
455Alan Greenspan97Economist
562Nigel Starmer-Smith79Rugby Commentator
698Jimmy Carter99Ex US President
7106Tony Bennett97Crooner
8115Dick Cheney82Politician
9135Harry Belafonte96Singer
10144Mel Brooks97Comedian / Director