Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Obscure albums from the Seventies....Eighties, etc

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
The Roaring boys - self titled album

They were signed for a huge advance in 1985, given access to the best stylists and record producers . 6 public school boys that were all at Cambridge university together. They were hyped up to be the new Duran Duran .

The album was released in 1986 but didn’t make even the top 40 .They were quickly dropped from their label and disbanded soon after .

Shame, some good tracks on it . My favourite was strange girl .

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
This is my kind of thread.

For me, probably Edward Ka-Spel/Legendary Pink dots. Got over 30 albums and nobody has heard of them.

But there are countless bands...

Burning skies of Elysium
Tuxedomoom
Modern Eon
Minimal Compact
Hector Zazoo
Holger Czukai
Danse Society
Dave Howard Singers
Moev
Skinny Puppy
Sopwith Camel
Sassafrass
Michael Chapman

Best post this now before I accidentally delete it like the last post on the other thread. FFS. :lolol: :thumbsup:

Oh and my best wishes to all posters on this thread - some of the good guys.

'Michael Chapman'...yes please! First saw him in Bristol about 1973. He was still touring gently a couple of years back 👍😎

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
https://youtu.be/1BAcTOStxIc
A good folk singer and guitarist - used to watch him in Bristol pubs. He now lives in Belgium :bigwave:

I spent ages hunting this down on youtube before it was on youtube. I taped the title track from a Bob Harris or John Peel programme back in the day. Magical :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I spent ages hunting this down on youtube before it was on youtube. I taped the title track from a Bob Harris or John Peel programme back in the day. Magical :thumbsup:

Nice one! Harris and Peel were a great source of obscure musicians...has anyone posted Ivor Cutler yet?! Dave Evans was a real easy going guy, he'd chat away to us spotty students in the launderette in Clifton, then we'd pay 20p and watch him in the pub later that evening.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Probably not obscure enough for the usual suspects but I’ve introduced this album to many over the years. Axe Victim Be Bop Deluxe especially the brilliant No Trains to Heaven track.

Good shout - I’ve all their albums and saw them at the Dome a couple of times. Led by very talented Bill Nelson.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
:)
I saw the thread title and immediately thought of you.

We all thought of HWT before we thought of our obscure album or artist. But he's let himself down a bit. There's only half a dozen there that I haven't heard or heard of:lolol:

I'll throw in my two pennorth with Amazing by Kathy Dalton. Released on Frank Zappa's Discreet label and backed by Little Feat, it ain't great, but I enjoyed it at the time and it certainly ticks the obscure box. Not to be confused with her more critically acclaimed, near namesake, Karen Dalton.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just in case it's not posted already
https://youtu.be/uwNcxd9Jf9I

I have the first four of his releases on CD. What a character. Loved listening to his stuff on Peel. I taped loads. The one about the Black Book is a particularly fabourite. Gruts, of course. 'Come and sit beside me' came up on the iPOD yesterday. His missus (Phyllis King) reads poems on some of the CDs. Hers are typically extremely short, and sometimes quite startling. He was a boxer in the army (hence the cover pic) but I'm sure you know that :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here