Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O'Brighton and Hove O'Albion

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The question might be why would you think 'he would be better' ??

I am not commenting directly on the lad, I genuinely wish him well, but he has I am guessing been at numerous clubs, unlikely he has turned down one Premiership club to sign for us, no chance.

So common sense should tell you that he is likely to fall within the talent pool below those prodigious talents that invariably get snapped up by big clubs.

Therefore he is no better than the best Sussex lads but will be afforded greater support beyond perhaps his talent commands.

Again this isnt aimed at this lad, its the policy of getting kids from Iceland and Ireland whilst squirting out local talent.

I personally can't form an opinion on a player I've never seen kick a football, but those responsible have, over the course of a week's trial, including a trial match. From that they have decided that he has more potential than the abstract 'skinny local kid' that might otherwise have occupied the slot.

This lad HAS had trials elsewhere, too, but your assumption that ANY Irish lad signing is only here because nobody better wants him, is well wide of the mark, IMO.

Firstly there is the personal relationships that Morling or other members of the coaching team might have with a club or with the player or his family. Then the significant number of other young Irish lads already within the academy will be seen as a huge plus.

Finally, the parents will have influence and are likely to look at pastoral care, and the general well-being of the academy youngsters - all stuff we will be able to demonstrate.

A very highly rated young Irish lad - a good freind of my 17 year old (Irish) nephew arrived in England yesterday ready to start his scholarship, with Southampton - having visited Chelsea and turned down their offer as the environment / atmosphere didn't sit right with him or his folks.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
We're going to have half the Ireland national team in a few years time.

Served as well in the past - our best years (so far!) were with Michael Robinson, Lawrenson, Sully, Gerry Ryan, Steve Penney, Tony Grealish and Gary Howlett

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Served as well in the past - our best years (so far!) were with Michael Robinson, Lawrenson, Sully, Gerry Ryan, Steve Penney, Tony Grealish and Gary Howlett

O'Sullivan played for WALES (and Penney for Northern Ireland).

You can have Kieran O'Regan instead, though.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
That response is just stuffed with your assumptions and has very little basis in fact.

You would think he's better because John Morling and his guys have been working with and watching Sussex lads over the years and their experience and skills tells them that having watched, scouted and trialled this lad, he is a prospect good enough to warrant a 3 year deal.

You are assuming he has been at numerous clubs.

You are assuming it is unlikely that he has turned down one premiership club. We have a youth on our books from Ireland who turned down West Brom. We have a category 1 Academy, better than some Premier league teams. Well advised kids (along with their parents rather than agents) might think their future career is better served by joining a set up where their talents are properly nurtured rather than become lost in the crowds of youth at a "big team" and eventually end up in the lower divisions.

No one's suggesting that he is a prodigious talent but common sense should tell you that youth footballers develop at different rates and there isn't simply 2 talent pools, one for prodigies and one for lesser players. A player can trial at one club and look poor but make the grade at another the following month.

Therefore your therefore is based on a totally false premise so it is incorrect to assume that he will be afforded greater support beyond what his talent commands.

You are assuming that we are squirting out local talent. Isn't it possible that we are assessing Icelandic and Irish talent and local talent too?

You really cannot accuse me of assumption then spill a lorry load of your own assumptions.

There is not a definitive answer here, and I am trying not to point at our Irish or Icelandic contingent that are on our books, but to think we somehow talk these players around from signing from the big teams is unlikely, we therefore recruit players with a similar talent as the best players here in Sussex.

The margins become extremely tight on assessment and personal background can effect recruitment decisions based not entirely on comparable talent.

To simplify, if you analysed the nationality/background of any recruitment team within any academy then the nationality/background of those players within it are likely to represent that nationality/background disproportionately (now that is an assumption, but one I believe true).

That suggests that decisions on young players can be disadvantaged or advantaged based on personal circumstances/relationships just as much as talent, it inevitably skews the decision process.

To think that any youngster that has been recruited from a position of personal circumstance and then given a 3 year deal, with a recruitment department now with a vested interest in the success of that player has somehow not been given an advantaged over another youngster with a similar skill set but without a similar relationships, is just naive.

Professional football is an industry that lends itself to this anomaly more than most, I guess its all based on subjective decisions, non more-so than with the youngest of players.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
You really cannot accuse me of assumption then spill a lorry load of your own assumptions.

There is not a definitive answer here, and I am trying not to point at our Irish or Icelandic contingent that are on our books, but to think we somehow talk these players around from signing from the big teams is unlikely, we therefore recruit players with a similar talent as the best players here in Sussex.

The margins become extremely tight on assessment and personal background can effect recruitment decisions based not entirely on comparable talent.

To simplify, if you analysed the nationality/background of any recruitment team within any academy then the nationality/background of those players within it are likely to represent that nationality/background disproportionately (now that is an assumption, but one I believe true).

That suggests that decisions on young players can be disadvantaged or advantaged based on personal circumstances/relationships just as much as talent, it inevitably skews the decision process.

To think that any youngster that has been recruited from a position of personal circumstance and then given a 3 year deal, with a recruitment department now with a vested interest in the success of that player has somehow not been given an advantaged over another youngster with a similar skill set but without a similar relationships, is just naive.

Professional football is an industry that lends itself to this anomaly more than most, I guess its all based on subjective decisions, non more-so than with the youngest of players.

And I find your rambling inconclusive response just as naive. Perhaps we ought just to agree to disagree, along with our respective understanding of the quantity involved in a lorry load.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That response is just stuffed with your assumptions and has very little basis in fact.

I'll give you a brief tour now.

The fire exits are there in front of us, and then of course there's the main doors where you came in and 2 further exits north and south.
The toilets are just down this corridor.
The canteen is through that door and on the left.
No smoking on the premises, there is a designated area in the car park.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
And I find your rambling inconclusive response just as naive. Perhaps we ought just to agree to disagree, along with our respective understanding of the quantity involved in a lorry load.

Yep I agree it was a little bit rambling .....................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here