Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Obika

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Of course it not the data base at fault, it is the fault of whoever is feeding the input. Whats that saying, you put Sh*t in and you will get sh*t out.
But Obika and Agustien do not fit what Burke described was the purpose of the data base, in an effort to stop the Albion making poor signings, So how does Obika with his poor previous loan record and Agustien with his previous injury problems fit with what David Burke said on Albion Roar?

It obviously hasn't worked out for Agustien, but I am not making a judgement on Obika because I've never trained with him. We did well to pick up Ince, Ward, Chickson, Stephens, and Spanish Rod, and Conway was useful. Upson didn't hesitate re-signing for us either.

We are sitting pretty in the league, relegation is not an issue and a play off place is possible so we are obviously doing something right even if it's not fairy tale perfect.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Mr Barber. Please travel up to Hull on Monday, pay for Mr Bruce and the crazy owner chap to have a LOVELY dinner out at a NANDO's after the match and ask NICELY if we can borrom Matty Fryatt for a bit.

Let them have extra sides if that will swing the deal in our favour.

You never know, this might just work. I have it on good authority that Steve Bruce had three helpings of breakfast at the hotel Hull were staying at on Monday morning!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Not a cat in hell's chance.

Oscar may not have had a say in Obika coming here, but he will certainly be the one the decides if he plays. Given that he's picked Obika a few times, it's clear Oscar thinks he's worth trying.

I really hope you're right.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
It obviously hasn't worked out for Agustien, but I am not making a judgement on Obika because I've never trained with him. We did well to pick up Ince, Ward, Chickson, Stephens, and Spanish Rod, and Conway was useful. Upson didn't hesitate re-signing for us either.

We are sitting pretty in the league, relegation is not an issue and a play off place is possible so we are obviously doing something right even if it's not fairy tale perfect.

You have to have a database of players, every club has one. I don't think it will help going back to making A-Z paper files of the thousands of players who play throughout the leagues. If there is a problem with our transfer dealings it is not with the online database software.

Anyway we got Spanish Rodders and Dale Stephens, both of whom didn't go through the database system, come to think of it probably neither did Obika, though I am sure Conway, Ward, Andrews and Agustien were was found via that method.

Can I ask from the couple of points I have highlighted, are you a member of the staff at the club, because you state you have never trained with Obika inferring you have with the others and more importantly how do you know Spanish Rodders and Dale Stephens did not go through the data base?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Can I ask from the couple of points I have highlighted, are you a member of the staff at the club, because you state you have never trained with Obika inferring you have with the others and more importantly how do you know Spanish Rodders and Dale Stephens did not go through the data base?

No, I've never trained with any of them. I don't know if Rodders or Stephens didn't go through the data base, but it has been said on here that Stephens & Obika were influenced by Jones, and I suspect that because Rodders came here quickly Oscar may have played a big part in it, outside the database system.

I'm not saying this is 100% accurate but with what little evidence I have, this is my conclusion.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It really does depend on just how much influence Jones has at the club. He appears to me to be doing and saying far more than any previous assistant at the club.
We don't know what say Nathan has, but there's no way he chooses the team. He'll give his opinion to Oscar, but Oscar makes the decision. He hasn't just finished coaching school, he was a fantastic player, and we're not his first managerial job. There is no way he doesn't make the decisions. He sees Obika in training, and if he decided he wasn't good enough, that would be that.

What alternative does he have lets think a minute ermmmmmm none so maybe that forces his selection a little
He doesn't have much choice, but I wouldn't say none. When he brought him on against Hull, I thought he should have brought on Rodriguez, due to his pace (and us defending a lead). But even if it's because of a lack of alternatives, it's still Oscar's choice.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
No, I've never trained with any of them. I don't know if Rodders or Stephens didn't go through the data base, but it has been said on here that Stephens & Obika were influenced by Jones, and I suspect that because Rodders came here quickly Oscar may have played a big part in it, outside the database system.

I'm not saying this is 100% accurate but with what little evidence I have, this is my conclusion.

Oh Ok I must remind myself in future when reading your posts that give the impression of fact, they maybe although not stated, just your conclusions.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Oh Ok I must remind myself in future when reading your posts that give the impression of fact, they maybe although not stated, just your conclusions.

What part of my post isn't fact?

Pretty sure it didn't need a disclaimer included.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
Can't be bothered to trawl through 17 pages of what looks like moans about Obika but we could have saved you a lot of time, he was utterly useless for CPFC and acted like he didn't want to be there.

It's not often a player plays for both Palace and Brighton and is cack for both sides.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I am thoroughly enjoying his contribution. He is laughably bad at even the most basic skills, like controlling the ball, which makes him very amusing to watch. I think a brick wall has more subtlety in its touch than our Jon. And that's before you even consider that odd running style or his rather hopeless expression. I think he's a trier, but it's so obvious he's terrible that it's impossible to get angry about it. Just sit back and enjoy the ride, because if he gets more minutes I think we're in for plenty more moments as hilarious as that 40-yard first touch on Monday.

And incredible that he's still on Spuds payroll. I can only think that they hope to dupe a club to pay a transfer fee.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I just have no faith in the quality of a player 'well known to Jones'. I like Obika but he looks a bit Div 1. I'll probably get slaughtered, but Stephens see
ms to me to need too much time on the ball for the way we play.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I greatly look forwards to him steadily improving, culminating in him having a run of excellent games towards the end of his loan spell when we all choose to forget threads like this ala Conway.

brightonbaz

Feb 22, 2009
Both my mate and I thought after he had that fluffed shot the he looked like a boxer who'd been hit on the chin.....his legs were shaky and he seemed to be gasping for air. Maybe he isn't fit but I can't believe that would be the case. Not a good player from what I have seen......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here