Obika

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I can't decide who is the worst ever player to wear a Brighton shirt, Obika or Harley .......

Harley had more chances to show something than Obika has of yet, so it's still Harley ... Useless lump

Graeme Smith, who masqueraded as a goalie for a brief spell in our Withdean years, is the worst I've seen.

Even positive fans, who always see the best in an Albion player, thought he was crap.

Obika - if he's not impressing anywhere at age 23, he almost certainly will not cut it as a striker for a pro club. Seems incredible that Spuds are still paying him a wage, especially with their relentless spending and buying-in players policy.

Ravids

Jun 19, 2013
Fishersgate Maritime Village
He's like... 24, and never managed a PL appearance for Tottenham...

I said from the start he will do sod all, I have no idea why we got him in to be honest. He's a 20 goal a season league 1 striker at best.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Is Nathan Jones running the team now, if he is this quote is worrying.

Obika Could Get Spurs Recall

Brighton are bracing themselves for a possible Tottenham recall of Jonathan Obika but Nathan Jones has told the Argus that he's keeping his fingers crossed this doesn't happen.

When Albion brought the striker in on loan a three month deal, when we wanted him for the season, was all that Tottenham permitted but they also included a recall clause that would allow them to recall him after 28 days.

Obika wasn't involved against Watford, a second game in a row he was an unused sub, but Jones has said that he'll have plenty of involvement between now and the end of his loan and hopes that he will see out it's duration and that is meant to be until April 11th.

That recall period comes this week, if Tottenham don't think he is getting enough involvement they could recall him and send him out on loan to someone else

http://www.bha.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=540590

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Brighton are bracing themselves for a possible Tottenham recall of Jonathan Obika but Nathan Jones has told the Argus that he's keeping his fingers crossed this doesn't happen.

When Albion brought the striker in on loan a three month deal, when we wanted him for the season, was all that Tottenham permitted but they also included a recall clause that would allow them to recall him after 28 days.

Obika wasn't involved against Watford, a second game in a row he was an unused sub, but Jones has said that he'll have plenty of involvement between now and the end of his loan and hopes that he will see out it's duration and that is meant to be until April 11th.

That recall period comes this week, if Tottenham don't think he is getting enough involvement they could recall him and send him out on loan to someone else

Lets hope they do take him back another Lita adds nothing to the team

Ravids

Jun 19, 2013
Fishersgate Maritime Village
Graeme Smith, who masqueraded as a goalie for a brief spell in our Withdean years, is the worst I've seen.

Even positive fans, who always see the best in an Albion player, thought he was crap.

Obika - if he's not impressing anywhere at age 23, he almost certainly will not cut it as a striker for a pro club. Seems incredible that Spuds are still paying him a wage, especially with their relentless spending and buying-in players policy.

Playing nowadays for the mighty Brechin City...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

PL defenders can very much relax, if they have to mark Obika.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
When he came on last night or shortly after, I watched as he went to the halfway line, stood within the centre circle in a clear space between two Hull defenders then went and marked one of them and waited for the Albion goal kick (free kick, can't remember.)

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Ah, so we got him through Nathan's connections? Another mark down for Mr Jones in my book.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
He's a 20 goal a season league 1 striker at best.

A 20-goal-a-season league 1 striker would be brilliant as a loan signing. He is nowhere near that standard.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Movement into open space isn't just "ooh, there's a space, I'll run into it". There has to be consideration to offsides, where the ball is and how it can come to you if you move into that space, whether you and your team mate are on the same wavelength about passes/runs - an understanding that develops and improves with time.

But if you haven't got the nous in the first place, you will never have it. It doesn't just happen.

I would also imagine that often times training involves the same team that is going to be starting the game, since Obika is often on the bench, he isn't often played with the main team in training, so doesn't have as much time working with the players he played with in 7 of his nine appearances, and the other two appearances are with a team that is a mixture of first team and second.

I'm also sure there is a big difference between the controlled, low-pressure environment of training, and a competitive full speed match in front of tens of thousands of expectant fans when you come on with ten minutes remaining and are supposed to slip right into a system he has little competitive experience with as if you haven't only just stepped on the pitch.

However, training matches and matches are played in a tight compact situation, with first team squad players (I'm sure Spurs wouldn't let him come to train with the reserves) rotating on a smaller pitch, where movement and learning about colleagues 'habits' are key, so other than replicating match pressure I don't accept that at all.

Goodwin wasn't given a squad number at the start of the season, so I'm not sure he would have been deemed ready or the step up, Dickenson didn't even make it on to the bench when we had no Lita no Obika and No Ulloa, and has since gone out on loan, so I don't think he would have been given the opportunity to step if Obika wasn't here, either.

Perhaps and probably has to be the most likely reason.

I am certain he is better than he has shown, that the supposed lack of basic skills is not an actual lack of those skills, just lack of match practice/result of unfamiliarity with he system and team mates. Give him a run of five or more 80+min appearances and we'd see him come on leaps and bounds, as most posters seem to agree Conway did. Having said that, I think it is incredibly unlikely he will get that run, and that it is more likely he will get a few 5-15min appearances at the end of games, possibly disappear from the bench altogether if/when rodriguez gets up to speed and finds form and we have Ulloa, Rodriguez, CMS, Buckley, Lualua, March, Ince, Orlandi, Lopez, Andrews, Ince, fit and fighting for places.

As you can tell I'm less confident with you, but we can hope and apparently (as someone else has highlighted) at least 3 of his 7 other loan clubs felt the same as they the loan as ended early. As per my previous post, movement, basic body shape when receiving the ball and touch doesn't just happen, I really don't think he's got it, but you never know and if he scores the winner against Wigan I'll be delighted.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Dale Stephens is also a Jones recommendation and it is to early to say how that one is going to go.

The difference with Stephens is, despite his early shortcomings in terms of retaining possession. His ability to get on the ball and be available is actually very good. With Stephens I think he is trying too hard......

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
The difference with Stephens is, despite his early shortcomings in terms of retaining possession. His ability to get on the ball and be available is actually very good. With Stephens I think he is trying too hard......

If you listen to the supporters of the previous club you can tell a lot. Watford fans said Buckley was great - when he was available. Charlton fans seemed to think Stephens would be a big loss as their game came through him.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
It wasn't that long ago Ulloa was being criticised for terrible first touches throughout his time on the pitch. In fact it was against Leeds. His first touch was awful throughout that game. I'm sure he trains with the squad all week, too.

Movement into open space isn't just "ooh, there's a space, I'll run into it". There has to be consideration to offsides, where the ball is and how it can come to you if you move into that space, whether you and your team mate are on the same wavelength about passes/runs - an understanding that develops and improves with time.

I would also imagine that often times training involves the same team that is going to be starting the game, since Obika is often on the bench, he isn't often played with the main team in training, so doesn't have as much time working with the players he played with in 7 of his nine appearances, and the other two appearances are with a team that is a mixture of first team and second.

I'm also sure there is a big difference between the controlled, low-pressure environment of training, and a competitive full speed match in front of tens of thousands of expectant fans when you come on with ten minutes remaining and are supposed to slip right into a system he has little competitive experience with as if you haven't only just stepped on the pitch.

Goodwin wasn't given a squad number at the start of the season, so I'm not sure he would have been deemed ready or the step up, Dickenson didn't even make it on to the bench when we had no Lita no Obika and No Ulloa, and has since gone out on loan, so I don't think he would have been given the opportunity to step if Obika wasn't here, either.

I am certain he is better than he has shown, that the supposed lack of basic skills is not an actual lack of those skills, just lack of match practice/result of unfamiliarity with he system and team mates. Give him a run of five or more 80+min appearances and we'd see him come on leaps and bounds, as most posters seem to agree Conway did. Having said that, I think it is incredibly unlikely he will get that run, and that it is more likely he will get a few 5-15min appearances at the end of games, possibly disappear from the bench altogether if/when rodriguez gets up to speed and finds form and we have Ulloa, Rodriguez, CMS, Buckley, Lualua, March, Ince, Orlandi, Lopez, Andrews, Ince, fit and fighting for places.

How long did you give Paynter before accepting he was shit?

While he was poor straight away, he looked like a footballer, just a poor one, i'm not sure Obika does. He certainly doesn't look like he's going to be able to perform meaningfully in the next month and as we've only got him till mid-April, it seems a bit odd.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports