Obika

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I’m not normally one to deal in absolutes but Obika is complete gash and always will be. The split second last night where I thought he was going to connect Marco Van Baston style with a through ball gloriously over the keeper which he actually stubbed out for a goal kick was comedy gold – He is worth keeping as someone to laugh at.

He is certainly the worst forward in the Amex era by a mile.
He rivals McCammon for the worst in the Withdean era although to be fair to McCammon he did score 2 against Sunderland, something Obika will never ever achieve
Albion during the Gillingham years is about his level.

I think you mean Derby. Chippy got our first against Sunderland.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The Nathan Jones bashing on this thread is really tiresome. Why is it that a significant minority of the posters on here don't like him. Did he steal someone's girlfriend or something?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The Nathan Jones bashing on this thread is really tiresome. Why is it that a significant minority of the posters on here don't like him. Did he steal someone's girlfriend or something?

He is hilarious to watch. He's like a drunk, psychotic toddler

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
It's probably the same people who didn't like peas as children. They don't know why they don't like them but it gives them attention.

But peas are good for you. We've no proof Jones is good for us.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
He only had 15 mins and was playing up front on his own without support. Something that we can agree that Ulloa has lacked recently.

The problem is during his 15 minute cameo he was presented with 3 oppurtunities to hit Hull on the counter, one he completely faffed the control and poked it miles ahead of himself which allowed the defender to beat him to the ball, the second he zig zagged himself into the middle of the pitch to where the Hull players had congregated and promptly gifted them possession, and the third could have been his moment, he was in the box and could have struck a half volley at goal but he waited and waited and waited until he was closed down and stabbed aimlessly at the ball. The bloke is pony.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
The problem is during his 15 minute cameo he was presented with 3 oppurtunities to hit Hull on the counter, one he completely faffed the control and poked him miles ahead of himself which allowed the defender to beat him to the ball, the second he zig zagged himself into the middle of the pitch to where the Hull players had congregated and promptly gifted them possession, and the third could have been his moment, he was in the box and could have struck a half volley at goal but he waited and waited and waited until he was closed down and stabbed aimlessly at the ball. The bloke is pony.

Exactly the way I saw it too,

A very poor show.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So apart from the bloke who has decided 177 minutes isn't enough to form an opinion, we all seem agreed: "Tracey" Obika is trousers.

He's not even a "handful" - the oft-used euphemism for strikers who can't score and have no pace but are vaguely muscley. For this reason, I think he might actually be worse than Billy Paynter.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
So apart from the bloke who has decided 177 minutes isn't enough to form an opinion, we all seem agreed: "Tracey" Obika is trousers.

He's not even a "handful" - the oft-used euphemism for strikers who can't score and have no pace but are vaguely muscley. For this reason, I think he might actually be worse than Billy Paynter.

When we signed him countless fans from his previous clubs rushed to laugh at such a cack loan, I thought to myself can he really be that bad? He confirmed my worst fears when presented with a delightful drifted cross when away at Derby. As the ball floated towards him at chest height I thought he's going to control it and shoot or go for a diving header, what he actually did was neither of these, instead opting to do some wierd head/knee scissor attempt and completely missed the ball. Unforgiveable. He is not a footballer, hell I'm not even sure he's an athlete, just a fella in a football kit.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The problem is during his 15 minute cameo he was presented with 3 oppurtunities to hit Hull on the counter, one he completely faffed the control and poked him miles ahead of himself which allowed the defender to beat him to the ball, the second he zig zagged himself into the middle of the pitch to where the Hull players had congregated and promptly gifted them possession, and the third could have been his moment, he was in the box and could have struck a half volley at goal but he waited and waited and waited until he was closed down and stabbed aimlessly at the ball. The bloke is pony.

There were frustrating moments from most of them last night. Ulloa's free header had to be the easiest chance of the game, JFC giving away a cheap free kick just outside our box, Calde missing his golden oppertunity, Andrews not being aware and easily poached, KLL not passing to Chickson when he made strong runs on the wing, KLL going down and staying down on several occassions, Ince's pass rate wasn't 100% either.

All last night showed about Obika was lack of game time and experience. We see poor first touches all the time in football, even the Prem by the best of them week in week out.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
You only had to look at his record before he came here at this level, to realise what we were getting. Never a championship player, yet some believed that scoring shed loads of goals in reserve games made him the real deal....Cms coming back and hitting form and Spanish Rodney is the hope we have to cling too, unless we get another loan in. Although I don't believe short term loans are the answer, as they are very rarely committed to the cause.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
IMHO this is a player who's trying too hard, hence the poor first touch and poor decision making. He needs to calm down and not rush it but first control the ball as he never seems to have it under control. At the moment if it was the choice between keeping him on loan and spending the cup money on bringing in a decent loan striker, you'd have to spend the money cause if Ulloa get's injured our season's over.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

You say that like giving a player who has had to get match fit after a long injury, while also getting used to playing in a new team more than two games before passing judgement is a bad thing.

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?290837-Conway ("Has there ever been a worse loan signing than this shit limp? What a waste of breath, he should walk out of the ground now and begin his long journey back to South Wales as he is as useful as Ryan Harley" ... "Poor first half like most of our midfield except for Ince. Two good crosses in the 2nd half inbetween a number of bad passes and poor touches. Buckley and Kazenga can't come back quick enough for me")

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?289230-Conway-not-good-enough ("No pace Doesn't get in behind his man Poor delivery As a winger I don't see the point of him. Surely we'd be better off this season bringing through young talent that we actually own. Rather than this guy" ... "Not doing enough at the moment. Expect far more from a player who has come from Cardiff City and has played international football. Ashley Barnes looked better than him on the left when he moved out there." ... "Thought he offered nothing, may as well have just fielded 10 men from kick off" ... "He is woeful. He's got no pace or skill, his delivery is average at best and worst of all he just doesn't want to be here. He doesn't go looking for the ball and he doesn't get stuck in, which is the very least a player with minimal talent should be doing. He just waits for it to come to him, which it rarely does. I really cannot see why we are paying money for this waste of space rather than giving March a try in that position or just abandoning the idea of having a left-winger and bulking up the midfield instead")

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?288685-Craig-Conway ("Based on his performances so far, we haven't got much to look forward to. One of the worst loanees I've seen for some time" ... "The weakest loan signing so far. I can see something in all the others - including Agustien who has clearly not been fit - but can't see the point in Conway when we have Buckley, KLL, March and even Dickenson. " ... "So far he has been. Paynter was rubbish for us, I'm sure he knows it too. But at the very LEAST he put himself about and worked hard. He is clearly a pretty poor player, but he gave it a go. He wasn't lacking effort, just ability. Craig Conway, however, has shown very literally NOTHING so far. No spirit, no fight, no desire and no determination at all. He has looked like a classic loan signing - some random player signed who really doesn't care.")

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?288817-Craig-Conway ("A a lot of people on here think he is amazing because he was our best player against yeovil. but when a winger has the stats he did at Cardiff yes he played 26 games but he only scored one goal and two assist surely this tells you something??")

Give him game time, give him a chance to get to know his team mates, our system and he puts in the sort of performances that lead to...

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?292423-Conway-How-Quickly ("How quickly can he be bought back by loan or by permanent transfer ? Any chance of him being in place for Bournemouth ? " ... "He was poor to start with but, having settled in, played really well towards the end of his loan spell. He was a key part in Cardiff's promotion and could be an important part of a promotion push for us too if we get him back." ... "Conway the only winger we have had that can cross the football shame all his time here coincided with ulloa being injured. Good winger good crosser him and ulloa could be the watson/zamora partnereship should we resign him in jan." ... "Conway proved he was quite a classy little player, it took him a while to settle but he was very influential after that. ")

http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...we-may-struggle-to-be-able-to-get-Conway-back ("I think we should sign him because he's an above-average Championship player that is: -- consistent -- to the best of my knowledge, and unlike our wingers, relatively injury-free, and -- an excellent crosser of the ball, again unlike Buckley and especially KLL, which plays to our greatest strength in Ulloa's heading ability.")

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?294133-Conway-Will-Join-This-Week-or-not ("Hope you are right, we miss him. Also hope he can Carry on from were he left off with us" ... "Great news if true" ... "Assuming this is true, I'm glad he's gonna be back. He'll prove to be a backbone player if he shows the consistency at the end of his loan spell" ... "Not counting my chickens but great news if it comes off")

Amazing how opinions change when you give someone a little time, even when they look like they don't know anything about football at first.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
You say that like giving a player who has had to get match fit after a long injury, while also getting used to playing in a new team more than two games before passing judgement is a bad thing.

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?290837-Conway ("Has there ever been a worse loan signing than this shit limp? What a waste of breath, he should walk out of the ground now and begin his long journey back to South Wales as he is as useful as Ryan Harley" ... "Poor first half like most of our midfield except for Ince. Two good crosses in the 2nd half inbetween a number of bad passes and poor touches. Buckley and Kazenga can't come back quick enough for me")

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?289230-Conway-not-good-enough ("No pace Doesn't get in behind his man Poor delivery As a winger I don't see the point of him. Surely we'd be better off this season bringing through young talent that we actually own. Rather than this guy" ... "Not doing enough at the moment. Expect far more from a player who has come from Cardiff City and has played international football. Ashley Barnes looked better than him on the left when he moved out there." ... "Thought he offered nothing, may as well have just fielded 10 men from kick off" ... "He is woeful. He's got no pace or skill, his delivery is average at best and worst of all he just doesn't want to be here. He doesn't go looking for the ball and he doesn't get stuck in, which is the very least a player with minimal talent should be doing. He just waits for it to come to him, which it rarely does. I really cannot see why we are paying money for this waste of space rather than giving March a try in that position or just abandoning the idea of having a left-winger and bulking up the midfield instead")

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?288685-Craig-Conway ("Based on his performances so far, we haven't got much to look forward to. One of the worst loanees I've seen for some time" ... "The weakest loan signing so far. I can see something in all the others - including Agustien who has clearly not been fit - but can't see the point in Conway when we have Buckley, KLL, March and even Dickenson. " ... "So far he has been. Paynter was rubbish for us, I'm sure he knows it too. But at the very LEAST he put himself about and worked hard. He is clearly a pretty poor player, but he gave it a go. He wasn't lacking effort, just ability. Craig Conway, however, has shown very literally NOTHING so far. No spirit, no fight, no desire and no determination at all. He has looked like a classic loan signing - some random player signed who really doesn't care.")

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?288817-Craig-Conway ("A a lot of people on here think he is amazing because he was our best player against yeovil. but when a winger has the stats he did at Cardiff yes he played 26 games but he only scored one goal and two assist surely this tells you something??")

Give him game time, give him a chance to get to know his team mates, our system and he puts in the sort of performances that lead to...

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?292423-Conway-How-Quickly ("How quickly can he be bought back by loan or by permanent transfer ? Any chance of him being in place for Bournemouth ? " ... "He was poor to start with but, having settled in, played really well towards the end of his loan spell. He was a key part in Cardiff's promotion and could be an important part of a promotion push for us too if we get him back." ... "Conway the only winger we have had that can cross the football shame all his time here coincided with ulloa being injured. Good winger good crosser him and ulloa could be the watson/zamora partnereship should we resign him in jan." ... "Conway proved he was quite a classy little player, it took him a while to settle but he was very influential after that. ")

http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...we-may-struggle-to-be-able-to-get-Conway-back ("I think we should sign him because he's an above-average Championship player that is: -- consistent -- to the best of my knowledge, and unlike our wingers, relatively injury-free, and -- an excellent crosser of the ball, again unlike Buckley and especially KLL, which plays to our greatest strength in Ulloa's heading ability.")

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?294133-Conway-Will-Join-This-Week-or-not ("Hope you are right, we miss him. Also hope he can Carry on from were he left off with us" ... "Great news if true" ... "Assuming this is true, I'm glad he's gonna be back. He'll prove to be a backbone player if he shows the consistency at the end of his loan spell" ... "Not counting my chickens but great news if it comes off")

Amazing how opinions change when you give someone a little time, even when they look like they don't know anything about football at first.

Spot on Acker79 :thumbsup:

The blokes hardly had any game time for crying out loud.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

I realise the point you are making, however.......

Do you not think Obika trains with his teammates all week? Movement into open space and basic control are not rocket science, nor should they be beyond the limits of a professional footballer.

Re Conway - Other than one may be two games Conway was poor and whilst I may have been in the minority, an alright or ok signing is not what we should be aiming at. The vast difference to Obika is that he had a degree of ability, albeit with only his right foot....... Solly could have been given an earlier opportunity, though of course hindsight is a wonderful thing. I can't help thinking that Obika, is preventing Dickenson and Goodwin being given a chance.

Of course if Obika turns it round (and I hope he does), I'm quite happy for all my comments to be bounced, as hopefully it will mean we have won.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports