Obika

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I think the best comparison is with Junior McDougald. A Spurs striker, who looked like he might be useful, but never lived up to his pedigree.

If it had been Shamir Goodwin, coming on last night and putting in that performance, I would be on here now fighting his corner. It wasn't one of our youngsters, it was a Spurs loanee. How many Spurs youth team products are part of their first team squad ? I am not trying very hard, but other than Jake Livermore at Hull, who has come through their ranks in recent years ?

I would suggest we could produce a list of a dozen premiership loan players, who have made a bigger impact at Championship clubs, without breaking sweat, he looks a poor signing.

Caulker, Livermore, rose, Kane, Carroll,Townsend, king, mason among others have played in past couple years

Plus you could argue we brought through Lennon, thud, Dawson

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Slightly harsh on Obika taking into account the fact he was mostly isolated and only came on for 13/14 minutes. One or two poor touches granted.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I always thought that Farrington was unfairly maligned. He was injured most of the time and in a poor team.

McCammon was comedy gold, Tiltman shocking, Frank Stapleton a miserable pensioner and Willie Young's (final) performance in an Albion shirt when we lost 5-1 at Pompey still gives me nightmares nearly 30 years later.

To be fair, I should have originally said worst forward......

Tilts was comfortably better than Obika, scored at Championship level and was playing in a poor team.
Stapleton, still had a degree of intelligent movement - not a lot more though
McCammon, once held the ball up, something Obika seems incapable of doing.

Though must admit I'd forgotten McCammon.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Now, I'm not one for overly criticising individuals and I HATE it when people say "oh he's shit". You sit there and think "well, no. He's obviously not shit if he's become a professional footballer".

However.....he was diabolical. Now I play footy with my mates and I wouldn't say i'm any good at all but I can control a ball. The one bit of play that sent me MAD was where he had the ball on the left in acres of space. Either take on your man or play it to solly. But no....he just KICKED IT FORWARD like a ****ing four year old does and then just CAUSALLY jogged after it whilst the Hull player stepped in......almost falling over in the process whilst holding back the tears of laughter at what he'd just seen.

What on EARTH was he doing. It wasn't a heavy touch. I'm pretty sure he meant to kick it like that.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
What exactly did Burke and his team search for on their copy Football Manager when they found Obika?

"Available on loan"
"Low wages"
"Realisitic target"
"Ball control at least 2"

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
When we were 1 up, we had a great chance to break, Obika had the ball and kept it, ran with it a bit STILL NO ONE within 40 yards of him. I thought he wasn't exactly helped in link up until they scored and THEN we got people up in support. I still have not seen enough of him to make an EDUCATED decision.
That is a fair point, we'd gone very deep at that point, March too had at least one run where he had no not cross to in that period before they scored. But I was genuinely shocked at how slow he was when he was one on one in that race for the ball with the Hull defender. Not all footballers are in the Usain Bolt class by any means, but he was positively glacial!

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
I think the best comparison is with Junior McDougald. A Spurs striker, who looked like he might be useful, but never lived up to his pedigree.

If it had been Shamir Goodwin, coming on last night and putting in that performance, I would be on here now fighting his corner. It wasn't one of our youngsters, it was a Spurs loanee. How many Spurs youth team products are part of their first team squad ? I am not trying very hard, but other than Jake Livermore at Hull, who has come through their ranks in recent years ?

I would suggest we could produce a list of a dozen premiership loan players, who have made a bigger impact at Championship clubs, without breaking sweat, he looks a poor signing.

Spurs have one of the worst youth teams for a 'big club' in the last 25 years.

Only produced Ledley king and Campbell.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Slightly harsh on Obika taking into account the fact he was mostly isolated and only came on for 13/14 minutes. One or two poor touches granted.

There were more than one or two bad touches in his attempt to get the ball under control before going wide.

The last person to have so many bad touches was Dave Lee Travis (although all of them cuddly friendly ones)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports