Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oatway out until Christmas

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Good, can't wait to see the back of Oatway anyway, had his day a long time ago. People can prattle on about good for team spirit, excellent servant etc etc but when your times up your times up - At least it forces Magoo into getting someone half decent in.

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
Goring Gull said:
Good, can't wait to see the back of Oatway anyway, had his day a long time ago. People can prattle on about good for team spirit, excellent servant etc etc but when your times up your times up - At least it forces Magoo into getting someone half decent in.

Bit harsh. Oatway was playing really well before his injury and I feel we missed his competativeness in the midfield when he got injured. I also believe games like Millwall wouldn't have been thrown away with him on th epark. Wonder inf McGhee is gonna regret letting Alexis go?

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
Goring Gull said:

Oatway is the player that keeps the midfield going and he is responsible for most of our fighting spirit. Everyone could see last season what not having that extra fightong spirit did. Games we had won in the 04-05 season, we were losing after Oatway's injury. Also it is all very well to say lets get a bit of flair/quality in the midfield but look what happened to Carole on the right - he was atrocious defencively and contributed much less to the overal team than Hart or Reid would have done. Also Oatway is quite a physical player and that is paramount in League 1 - it is less about quality and more about desire in the lower leagues.

Captain Pugwash

Paul Kitson
Oct 27, 2003
brighton
hopefully a couple of these frenchys we ahve on trail is a centre midfielder, big blow imo he need his leadership on the pitch

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Isn't Reid meant to be a central midfielder. Maybe give him a go there rather than right back and right midfield where he keeps being played.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
80's Seagull said:
Isn't Reid meant to be a central midfielder. Maybe give him a go there rather than right back and right midfield where he keeps being played.

I concur.

Start him there in preseason.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We had a complete lack of leadership on the pitch last season, which was a BIG factor in our going down with barely a whimper. Chippy and Guy are the most experienced players, but neither of them are good captain material. Now with no Oatway, and with the team likely to be flooded with youth-teamers, next season is looking bleaker by the day.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Goring Gull said:

That is utter crap TBH, We looked a much worse team when he was injured and I would say it is a big reason we went down. Before his injury I was slagging him off no end and hoping we would release him at the end of last season but when he was injured you could say what were missing.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Easy 10 said:
We had a complete lack of leadership on the pitch last season, which was a BIG factor in our going down with barely a whimper. Chippy and Guy are the most experienced players, but neither of them are good captain material. Now with no Oatway, and with the team likely to be flooded with youth-teamers, next season is looking bleaker by the day.

I completely agree. I remember coming out of the Reading away game saying that this showed up how much we missed Cullip. People can say his a bully but that is exactly what was needed last season, especially from January onwards...We needed someone who could take the team on the pitch by the scruff of the neck, we just did not have that.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Gelsenkirchen BHA

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Surely we must start to move on from expecting Charlie to be our saviour.

Yes Ok, last season up until he got injured he had a couple of reasonable games, but come on!

At the end of the day , he is now approaching the time, or has reached it, when he should be helping out with the coaching, or perhaps even looking to call it a day completely ( we are not a charity afterall)

I think it is a dreadful situation whereby Maghee was looking at a midfield of Oatway and carpenter as the central lynchpins - 4 years ago maybe, but now its just getting silly

If Hammond rediscovers his form of a couple of years ago and by some miracle, Frutee decides to stay, then that leaves two positions open, both vital to our season. I hope Mcghee realises that

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I told Charlie when I met him in April that we needed him back as soon as. He was still as lively as ever and he has a massive influence on the squad as hes great fun and keeps spirits up. Its very disappointing. Our season went downhill after the QPR game.

I can't help thinking that we have made a mistake in releasing Nicolas too soon as he could have filled that role perfectly given the chance.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
If Nicolas hasn't got a club might be worth asking him to come back. *fingers crossed and massive wishful thinking*

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I can't believe what i'm reading on here. What a bunch of Judasses you lot are , i remember a few seasons back Oatway was the boo boys favourite of NSC and know you have the cheek to say - we love you Charlie - fcuking hell no wonder we are in crisis..

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
Goring Gull said:
I can't believe what i'm reading on here. What a bunch of Judasses you lot are , i remember a few seasons back Oatway was the boo boys favourite of NSC and know you have the cheek to say - we love you Charlie - fcuking hell no wonder we are in crisis..

sorry but I've always been an Oatway fan. The player I never rated that much was Chippy but then it's about personal choices

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Goring Gull said:

Got to go with Goring on that one, absolutely spot on. People keep on going on about how much better it looked with him last year, but I feel the team looked better because it allowed Hammond to get forward more and Oatway looked better because Chippy looked so bad when he came in. Nicolas or even Mayo would have been better bets as far as I concerned. I think he has been a great servant to the club but he should never have got a new contract.

Goring Gull said:

Charlie showed he could hack it at Championship level, that's why attitudes on NSC changed. People actually starting to be fair to a player doesn't indicate a "crisis" you know :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here