Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T - Windows 10, is it worth upgrading?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Windows 10 - Advice please from them what know about this stuff

Thickie alert!!!!

With apologies to all the Mac obsessive out there, because I can't afford a Mac (refuse to pay their prices and don't understand Apple systems), and a fear that I might be turning into Ben's Granddad.... :facepalm:

I'm currently using a laptop running Windows 7, but Microsoft are offering a free upgrade to Windows 10.

Does anyone know about Windows 10? Is it a good deal? Is Windows 10 a good system? If I go for the upgrade is it going to work seamlessly, or will something go horribly wrong somewhere? :blush::blush:

Ta muchly

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Its not actually been released yet, I don't think.

Most retailers are now offering 7 with an optional free upgrade once 10 is out.

Knowing MS its usually best to hold off upgrading until at least service pack 1, possibly 2 by which time most of the weird bugs and performance issues are sorted.

Of course, that's going off my experience of Windows Vista which I'm pretty sure they put out with the sole purpose of pissing people off. It was a delivery mechanism for hatred, not an operating system.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Sorry!!!!!!!!!!

Missed this.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
There is a lot of "anti" vibes shown towards Windows 8 - but I am running 8.1 on this PC, definitely not a touchscreen, and I have had no problems at all.
It may look a little different on the "Start" page but after half a day I was good with it . ...The system works for me

D

Deleted member 22389

Have reserved my copy of Windows 10, will probably leave it a couple of days after release to install though (on a separate partition), Keep meaning to try Linux as well again (about three years since I last tried) - was OK but just didn't have the knowledge level at the time to get the best out of it.

Macs are great I guess if you don't mind spending a little more and you don't really want to tinker.

Try Linux Mint, very user friendly. You don't need to touch terminal if you don't want too. I do because I like to learn.
You know there are so many Distros with Linux, that's what I love about it. Free to use, install on any machines you like.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Try Linux Mint, very user friendly. You don't need to touch terminal if you don't want too. I do because I like to learn.
You know there are so many Distros with Linux, that's what I love about it. Free to use, install on any machines you like.

Ultimately, it depends what you want to do on your pc. I have Linux Mint dual booting with Windows 7 on my pc, and most of the time I use it for playing games, on Windows. Everything else I do on Linux. There are a few games available for Linux via Steam, and growing steadily though. Eventually, I'd like to see Steam compatible with all Linux distros.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Windows 10 dispenses with Windows Media Player and any updates are automatic so no more waiting for a monthly update on the 2nd Tuesday of the month or the choice of ignoring optional updates.

D

Deleted member 22389

Ultimately, it depends what you want to do on your pc. I have Linux Mint dual booting with Windows 7 on my pc, and most of the time I use it for playing games, on Windows. Everything else I do on Linux. There are a few games available for Linux via Steam, and growing steadily though. Eventually, I'd like to see Steam compatible with all Linux distros.

Mint is good isn't it. Not had any problems since installing 6 months ago. As yet I have had no reason to go back in to windows, even older version of photoshop cs works fine through wine for me. Not much of a gamer myself but I still have steam and bought half life 2, portal 2 and waiting for carmaggedon reincarnation.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
... any updates are automatic so no more waiting for a monthly update on the 2nd Tuesday of the month or the choice of ignoring optional updates.

Hmmm, what's that alarm bell I hear ringing?

Dec 29, 2011
Only one person saying to wait a few months before upgrading... Definitely do this. It's free for a year after it's release and there will inevitably be bugs in the first few months. Unless you hate your current OS Id be in no rush to upgrade just yet.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Thanks, will check it out at some point soon(ish) :D :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here