Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Wetsuit shops in Brighton

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
In a fit of enthusiasm I've signed myself up to do a 10k swim in the Dart estuary in September. Will have to do it in a wetsuit and need to get training (in the sea probably), so thought I'd call on NSC's collective wisdom.

Anyone know of any good places to buy wetsuits? A quick Google reveals Brighton Watersports, between the piers, but any recommendations appreciated. :smile:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't have recommendations based on experience, but if you're looking for anywhere else so you can price check, there's a scuba shop down the marina by the fountain in the courtyard.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
I don't have recommendations based on experience, but if you're looking for anywhere else so you can price check, there's a scuba shop down the marina by the fountain in the courtyard.

Thanks, will take a look. :thumbsup:

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
They had some in ASDA last week. I can't profess to be the font of knowledge on wetsuits but they were cheap! Probably crap as well.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
You want a surfer wetsuit rather than a diving wetsuit. Diving wetsuits are compressed neoprene and designed to compress less under pressure. As you'll be on the surface, compression isn't a problem.
I would avoid the supermarkets, visit a proper shop, get advice and try one on (take a camera and post pics on here)

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.
If you are swimming anything more than a few hundred yards, stay away from traditional wetsuits, anything over 1 - 2mm and you will be knackered in a very quick time, along with some serious rash issues in places that will be quite painful...under the arms, around the gonads etc. Go for a specific purpose built swim wettie, it will make the whole event easier. Surf wetties are about warmth over movement, once you get moving in the water, your body temperature will need cooling so a 3mm suit will restrict you considerably on that side of things.

You would be better off with something more like this:

DeSoto T1 Water Rover BibJohn at SwimOutlet.com - Free Shipping

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
Fantastic. Thanks all for the help. Will let you know how the swim goes!

MK Gull

Jul 8, 2003
Gibraltar
The tristore in eastbourne. Get an ex rental only been worn a couple of times. Best to get a swimming wetsuit not a surf or scuba one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here