Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Washing machine woes.

boik

Bit far for me to go I'm afraid, how competent are you with a meter?
All I can suggest, is to measure the motor windings and tacho from the motor block.
Trial and error without seeing the motor but the easiest way is remove it and trace the wires. You've already changed the carbons so that should rule that out. 2 more windings should go to a coil at the end of the motor, that's the tacho. It should measure anywhere between 80 and 200 ohms on the resistance setting. Depending on what motor it is, there should be either 2 or 3 other wires depending on whether your motor has a tapped field connection or not. Across either 2 of these, you should get 1.5 - 3 ohms.
If they all check out, it'll be the pcb or speed control unit. Can't really check those apart from putting a 9 volt supply across the motor relay connections and seeing if you can hear them clicking on and off. If it's motor windings or pcb, it's not really worth paying out for spare parts unfortunately

Oh wow, thanks - that's a really comprehensive answer. As she's in Aldershot I won't be able to get over there for a while and I think she may give in and go for a new one. It was just a cheap second hand one to get her started in her new flat so not a great loss. If I can get over there before her supply of clean clothes runs out I will check as you suggest.

Thankyou, I love the range of knowledge available on NSC!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Blimey thats clever. When you say 'no resistance', do you mean it shows no reading - or full scale reading?

the resistance across any working circuit will be consistent in ohms, if it failed it will show zero resistance

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I had a Beko dishwasher that packed up in less than a month - Turkish made I believe.
Have avoided their products ever since.
You do normally get what you pay for on most goods but white goods are always pot luck.

Hotpoint are crap as well.
No gamble if you by Bosch appliances and NEFF ovens though.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Hotpoint are crap as well.
No gamble if you by Bosch appliances and NEFF ovens though.
There's always a gamble and no brand is guaranteed to be better than another these days unfortunately. Decent warranty more important than brand as any can go wrong.

Friend of mine used that logic and had a nightmare with her Bosch washing machine that she'd spent £600 on.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
There's always a gamble and no brand is guaranteed to be better than another these days unfortunately. Decent warranty more important than brand as any can go wrong.

Friend of mine used that logic and had a nightmare with her Bosch washing machine that she'd spent £600 on.
Pretty much this.
There is only one real stand out manufacturer these days....Miele.

Even they are prone to the odd generic problems now and again

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
How do the likes Of Panasonic and Samsung compare ? The Samsung models look a bit gimmicky, but The Panasonic's look pretty solid.
Middle range mate imho.
Having fixed appliances for close on 30 years I have a Miele, which should tell you all you need to know :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here