Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The golden age of television is long gone and can never come back,.

This IS the golden age of television. I can't remember so many high quality programmes as the ones that have been on in the last decade. It's because Hollywood has become formulaic, all the real talent makes TV programmes now.

Although, I do agree that decent sitcoms are few and far between. I can't people fighting to remake Citizen Khan or The Life of Riley somehow

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
One of the reasons behind the success of the original was Galton and Simpson's change in tack to cast actors, rather than comedians, in the lead roles. Previously comedy had largely been performed by comedians. Both Brambell and Corbett were professional actors, Corbett in particular had been treading the boards and building up quite a reputation for himself.

This aspect might not immediately seem that important, but it allowed the scriptwriters to avoid the more farcical type of comedy which is easier for comedians to perform and write a different type of comedy which was more 'real life'. The acting skills of Brambell and Corbett really helped develop the tension between Harold and Albert.

I think Corbett paid the price for the success of Steptoe as he never really got cast in anything else, despite his talents. It's similar to Michael Crawford, another very good theatre actor whose TV success pigeonholed him.

Anyway - whatever they do they won't go close to the original, I listen to episodes at work and it's still brilliant after all of these years.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think Corbett paid the price for the success of Steptoe as he never really got cast in anything else, despite his talents. .

This is very true. There were many people who thought he was going to be one of the outstanding actors of that generation - up there with Burton. He was called England's Marlon Brando in some quarters but the juicy parts never transpired.

He died and is buried in Sussex

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is very true. There were many people who thought he was going to be one of the outstanding actors of that generation - up there with Burton. He was called England's Marlon Brando in some quarters but the juicy parts never transpired.

He died and is buried in Sussex

I saw him in a play for today type thing late on, but he had health problems. I found Steptoe to be an excrutiating watch, partly because Corbett was so good, and his character seemed to suffer so much. Claustophobia. The Steptoe film was awful. Not one laugh, and a ludicrous and offensive ending. Oh well.

Agree with whoever said telly today is so much better now. It really is. I shouldn't be saying that as old gits like me are supposted to be reactionary, with rose tinted retrospectacles . . .:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here