O/T South of France

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Hi all,

Looking to go away this year for some sun & relaxation with my girlfriend, and thinking of the South of France. Hoping for something like a Villa with a pool or somewhere near the beach, with emphasis on privacy and peace & quiet over being in a bustling city and doing lots of touristy stuff.

Is there anywhere somebody could recommend? Budget is probably max £500 each for the week (for the villa/hotel)

Also, if you have any other destinations that you think would suit, please let me know

Thanks

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Head to the Corbieres nearish to Narbonne and Carcassone I would say. Lovely round there and if you do fancy a bit of touristy fun those two towns are pretty nice, Carcassone is well worth seeing.

Lots of nice gites around Villeneuve/Durban/Fontjoncouse.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Head to the Corbieres nearish to Narbonne and Carcassone I would say. Lovely round there and if you do fancy a bit of touristy fun those two towns are pretty nice, Carcassone is well worth seeing.

This exactly,... my favourite part of France this is,.. Anywhere along the canal du midi,... just a bit further north I thought Nimes was splendid too.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Anywhere just inland from Sete and Agde along the Canal du Midi.... Great villages, lots of villas etc, try owners direct.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Second that, Langedouc is much cheaper than Provence and IMO just as nice without the hordes. Fantastic market in Narbonne if you like good food. The one thing I would say is the coast around Narbonne is nothing special, thats where St.Tropez and like wins but it will cost you

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Anywhere just inland from Sete and Agde along the Canal du Midi.... Great villages, lots of villas etc, try owners direct.
My inlaws have a property in Vias Plage, 2KM from Agde, beautiful, weather, food, local wine, people, entertainement. Love it. Spend 3 weeks in July down there and 2 more through out the year.
Another vote for Agde or Cap D'agde, 30 mins from Montpellier airport
And about 5 mins from Bezier/Age Airport, flying direct from Luton
Isn't the cap d'agde a naturist and swingers island?

It is, Agde has a huge hotel complex for the nature people. alas I have never seen naked women walking about, but i continue to look.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
You will get more for your money in Languedoc-Roussillon region than Provence Cote d'Azur.

Provence villages are gorgeous but you'd be quite a drive from a decent beach.

I think Montpellier/Nimes area is the best - beaches close, both lovely towns with others close by (Avignon, Uzès etc.) and good alternatives if the weather lets you down.

Collioure down by the Spanish coast is beautiful but can get very busy.

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
South west France is also well worth considering as also much cheaper than Provence (except the centre of Biarritz) and beautiful sandy beaches with huge dunes behind stretching for miles along the Atlantic coast, Capbreton area, or in spectacular bays when you get down to the French Basque country, Biarritz and St Jean de Luz. I had a relaxing couple of weeks in Soutons a few years back, which is a few miles inland from the Atlantic beaches and on a lake where Mitterand had his summer residence. Apart from the beaches there are miles of cycle trails through the woods, so we explored locally on hire bikes and further afield in the hire car. With a hire car you can also get to the villages in the foothills of the Pyrenees, such as Espelette which is a centre for growing chilli peppers and has huge racks of red peppers drying on the whitewashed sides of the buildings. There are plenty of gites in quiet rural locations as well as the more bustling Basque towns.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Isn't the cap d'agde a naturist and swingers island?

Cap d'agde is yes, but that is separate from Agde and even in Cap d'agde its only one end of the resort.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Direct translation of French description for the region - Sud de France

...........or possibly an abbreviation of the south of France :lol:

Almost everywhere from Biarritz to Sete has a lot to recommend it for me.

Strongly recommend looking at Owners Direct online for decent deals depending on your budget with the minimum of fuss or problems.
We are returning to a gites owned by an English couple in Orincles (just outside Lourdes) to drive the Tour de France route through the Pyrenees and accomodation is a fraction of the price quoted elsewhere - flying in to Bordeaux on a budget flight and hiring a car

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm joining the Langedouc love in.

Carcassonne and all points South-South West, rule, esp if it's R & R you're after.

Moving you along the coast to the foothills of The Pyrenees.
I have never smelt air so fresh as in St Girons.
I could have sat on the restaurants terrace, over the river, for days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports