Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T (sort of) Uruguay - Socceroos 1st Leg

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Anybody know what time (Aussie/NSW time) the kick-off is for the first leg in Montevideo? And indeed the second leg in Sydney? Cheers

I believe ko in Montevideo is 10:00 Sunday AEDST and the second leg in Sydney kicks off at 20:00 AEDST on the following Wednesday.

Biggest real football game in 4 years over here.... Oh how i would love the Aussies to go to Germany and get paired with England somewhere along the way.

Tough on the Aussies that they always get these hard play-offs. Good luck to them.

it is tough, but this is the last time they will have to qualify via the South American route.

As of January 2006 Australia will be part of the Asion Football COnfederation and will play group matches against the likes of Japan, the Koreas and China.

The feeling in Oz is that this represents a much 'fairer' opportunity for qualification through groups rather than strolling through the Oceania section and then what is effectively a sudden death qualifier against a South American Team.

If anyone is watching, have a look at Archie Thompson, who will probably start alongside Viduka upfront. He is the only Aussie international plying his trade in Australia, for the Mighty Melbourne Victory....

E

enigma

London Irish said:
Tough on the Aussies that they always get these hard play-offs. Good luck to them.

Very tough, although they stand a good chance of winning perhaps this time.

Apart from the keeper Carini, Forlan, Recoba and Chevanton (great striker when he was in Italy), don't know anyone else who plays for Uruguay.

Aussies have quite a few players in the Prem. Emerton,Viduka,Kewell,Schwarzer, Moore. I hope they do it.

Having the away leg first makes a big difference, too this time round.

Although the Urugs wanted to move the kick off back an hour to ensure the Oz team missed their connecting flight and would not get to Sydney before the Urugs.

As the Socceroos are sponsered by Qantas, they have chartered a plane to avoid any of these shennanigins.

I agree that this represents their best opportunity for some time, they have a lot more experience and know what to expect in South America. Having Gus Hiddink at the helm will be massive for them, too.

Good to see it is the last time we have to go through the Russian Roulette of South America.

As i understand it and as u said Sth Yarra, QANTAS are basically sticking around for whatever time the Socceroos need to leave. However with the Urg's trying to stuff their home leg kick off time around, they have messed up their Charter flight, so now they have to do the round about route to get to Syncity.

So the Urg's might be going to FIFA to ask them to change the time, again :censored:

I do feel that Hiddink is on a hiding to nothing as he was bought in so late and why the FFA let Farina stay on so long is beyond me. :shootself

Gull Downunder

Jul 7, 2003
Melbourne
Soccer Australia has told the Urg's to stuff it with changing the times (again). Hopefully FIFA will back them as they have already changed it once with the objective of stuffing the Aussies, but it back fired, so bollox to 'em. :tosser:

SBS are as usual covering the game so come on Aussie c'mon c'mon etc. etc. (Never thought I'd be singing that!)

Definately an advantage playing the second leg in Sydney but it will be hostile in Montevideo. Bring it on :bounce:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Cheers all! :thumbsup:

Sounds like a bit of shenanigans going on by Uruguay, and I'm sure there will be plenty more on the day, but cracking double-header in prospect.

As you say, Bring It On! :clap2:

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Over 80.000 tickets sold out within 4 mins .

We've got no problem banging them in .
Lots of attacking options . Speedy one-touch passing .
It's keeping them out which could prove costly .

It will be tough over there for sure. The defence has looked a touch leaky, but i am sure Guus has been drilling them.

Harry will be a key player either starting or off the bench.

Although I am F:censored:KING! fuming it in sh1tny rather than where it should be at the MCG!!!!!!!!!

:angry: :angry:

Last edited:

I fancy the Aussies to make it to the WC for the first time this generation.

If they do then they will share a group with England for sure AND if all that happens then (real) football will become the biggest sport in this country. At least until the end of the group stages.

Gull Downunder- Been to Olympic Park recently? I feel we need to recreate the North Stand on the Nort East Terrace....

When I was there last I bumped into a few ppl who used to live in Brighton and were sympathetic to our cause.

The Northstand Union :clap:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I think its a joke they have to go into the asia group for a semi fair chance to get to the world cup - FIFA need to realise its a world cup not a South America and Europe cup.

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
I was at the last Aus v Uruguay game in Melbourne when the Aussies won 1-0 but lost hte second league 3-1 I think so went out.

It was great and the MCC is a fantastic stadium. I just happened to be on holiday at the time and managed to blag a couple of tickets.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
AMelbourneAlbionSupporter said:
Harry will be a key player either starting or off the bench.

What Kewell?! God help ya.

KinkyGoebels said:
I think its a joke they have to go into the asia group for a semi fair chance to get to the world cup - FIFA need to realise its a world cup not a South America and Europe cup.

Hmm, FIFA are far too aware that it's not a Europe and South America tournament - they've cut the European representation again for this one and we could have Bahrain qualifying by only winning one proper match - where's the sense in that.

If Australia can't beat the 5th place South American team then they shouldn't be there in the first place - although I agree that from now on they'll qualify with ease from the Asian qualifiers.

I reckon 7 out of the 8 quarter finalists will be from Europe & South America.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
captainmorganrum said:
Hmm, FIFA are far too aware that it's not a Europe and South America tournament - they've cut the European representation again for this one and we could have Bahrain qualifying by only winning one proper match - where's the sense in that.
South America have too many teams competing. They have 4 (+ a playoff) qualifiers and only 9 nations compete. It's a joke. I think 3 + a playoff team would be fairer. Concacaf are the other region over-represented. I think they get 4 teams where 3 would be fairer.

I can't helping thinking Concacaf & South America should merge their qualifying process, and Oceania should be completely disbanded and integrated into Asia. Oceania is unbelievably badly organised and Australia has finally had enough.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Who was that striker who played for paramatta power in the last year of the old league? Croation/australian i think - good player

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here