Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T - should I upgrade to Windows 10? (Free upgrade offer expires tomorrow 29th July)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Given that extended support for 8.1 runs until 2023 (Win 10 runs a couple of years longer)
Mainstream support has already ended for Windows 8, it will be there for W10 for at least another 4 years, and that could well be extended (as it has been for previous OSes).

And it's free!

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Mainstream support has already ended for Windows 8, it will be there for W10 for at least another 4 years, and that could well be extended (as it has been for previous OSes).

And it's free!

Mainstream support ending means that there will be no further enhancements to the product whereas extended support still covers security patches and bug fixes which is all I'm concerned about.

If I was an enhancements kind of guy I'd probably be getting Win 10 for that very reason. But I'm not. I'm an everything is working fine, I'm happy with it and I want to minimise the risks of buggering it up kind of guy.

So sorry, for me, no sale. :thumbsup:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Not sure if relevant to the OP, but I have been told by IT in the office that my CISCO VPN Client will not work under W10, so as I WFH 2 days a week I won't be upgrading!

That's odd. We all had to upgrade last month and I have used CISCO VPN Client regularly since then with no issues. I don't find it slow either.

Hm, our IT team are a bit odd to be fair. Might go for a second opinion. There are a few of us who WFH in the company so will check if any of them have upgraded.

Depends which version you are running. The basic version that just creates a VPN to a basic ASA firewall works - the FirePOWER version does not ( which you have to have if your ASA is running FirePOWER ).

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
No is the quick answer. Windows 10 is painfully slow and if you currently have no issues then don't change. IMHO Windows 10 is the worst O/S Microsoft have ever released.

Your experience seems to be very unusual. Most Windows 10 complaints have been about Microsoft nagging and installing it without asking.

I finally took the plunge yesterday, upgrading from 8.1, and it seems to have gone smoothly. Google "things to do after installing Windows 10", and make sure you read the options for settings when installing, eg. for privacy. When I get time, I'll do a clean installation from scratch.

Can't say anything positive or negative about it (apart from the privacy issues). Neither faster not slower, better or worse. The only real benefit is getting rid of earlier insecure versions of Windows, so I don't understand why they've limited it to Win7+ users.

Also upgraded my laptop yesterday to Linux Mint 18. :thumbsup:

PS. My speakers weren't working this morning, and I spent 10 minutes blaming Win10 drivers, before realising the volume was turned down. :blush:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
About a year ago I bought a second hand refurbished Toshiba Laptop for £99. Loaded with the usual bits it had W7 installed, it kept hanging, slow to load pages, almost cured by switching between Chrome and Firefox.
It of course wanted me to switch to W10, which I resisted for a bit then thought it couldn't get any worse. So I started the download, woke in the morning and havn't looked back since. W10 speeded everything up smoothed the opening of pages and made the laptop as I presume it was made to function.
My sister and one or two of my mates have been unable to finish the download on their machines. Strange, I guess the Sun shines on the righteous.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Mainstream support ending means that there will be no further enhancements to the product whereas extended support still covers security patches and bug fixes
Yes I know.
which is all I'm concerned about.
And you'll have Win10 extended support for a good few years after it's ended for Win8. They only state 2025 at the moment, but it's likely that will be extended, as it has been for previous versions.

So sorry, for me, no sale. :thumbsup:
No sale for me either, because it's free!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
About a year ago I bought a second hand refurbished Toshiba Laptop for £99. Loaded with the usual bits it had W7 installed, it kept hanging, slow to load pages, almost cured by switching between Chrome and Firefox.
It of course wanted me to switch to W10, which I resisted for a bit then thought it couldn't get any worse. So I started the download, woke in the morning and havn't looked back since. W10 speeded everything up smoothed the opening of pages and made the laptop as I presume it was made to function.
Win 10 shouldn't be much faster than W7, so I can only assume your existing OS was bogged down with a load of crap or problems which were cleaned up by the new install.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Yes I know.
And you'll have Win10 extended support for a good few years after it's ended for Win8. They only state 2025 at the moment, but it's likely that will be extended, as it has been for previous versions.

No sale for me either, because it's free!

And like I said in 7 years when win 8 extended support ends it will be time for a new PC anyway so it really is of no consequence to me.

And obviously 'no sale' was meant figuratively.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If they don't extend the offer I'll eat my hat.

you better get some salt and sauce ready. they need to end the free offer so they can start the next phase, charging subscription for OS services (according the rumors ive read).

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
For anyone who wants to try it out, there is an option to go back to your old operating system within 30 days of installation.

For those who have i3's/i5's etc, there is absolutely no reason why windows 10 should not run seamlessly on your machine. My eight year old has a much lower spec than that and windows 10 is fine on his laptop.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I have tried to upgrade several times and I always get the same error message

"intel graphics media accelerator 3600 series - the dispay manufacturer hasn't made your display compatible with windows 10. Check with the manufacturer for support"

Of course there isn't any support that I can find, and I'm not even sure which manufacturer it refers to - the Samsung PC or the Intel graphics thingy.

Any ideas?

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland

"intel graphics media accelerator 3600 series - the dispay manufacturer hasn't made your display compatible with windows 10. Check with the manufacturer for support"

Of course there isn't any support that I can find, and I'm not even sure which manufacturer it refers to - the Samsung PC or the Intel graphics thingy.

Any ideas?

It's an Intel issue, and the device drivers are only Win 7 compatible. See here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/65926/Intel-Graphics-Media-Accelerator-3600-Series

And there is a topic on Intel's forum re this issue.

See here:

Latest Version of Graphic Media Accelerator 3600 Series is not compatible with Windows 10

Hendrax

Jan 23, 2013
Worthing
upgrading with a i5 and 12gb ram should NOT be slow, something else is wrong there. WIN10 is awesome. just make sure you have 8+ gb.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015

Any ideas?

Looking online it seems that Intel have not updated those drivers and has no intention of doing so, seems like a no go I'm afraid. There is a workaround solution suggested but not something I would risk doing.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-display/bc2cc64a-baa5-4a4c-9d4e-ae967441bb3e

https://communities.intel.com/thread/78050

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Looks like I'm screwed. I don't think I'm sufficiently tekkie to reprogramme this machine manually.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
upgrading with a i5 and 12gb ram should NOT be slow, something else is wrong there. WIN10 is awesome. just make sure you have 8+ gb.
I have a 9 year old netbook with a mere 4gb of ram and it runs fine on that. Takes a bit longer to boot admittedly than my new pc but still works fine otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
OS7, delete as much stuff as you can (save on external the pix and MP3s). Get the free C cleaner and defraggler available to download online from File hippo. Run both. Get a decent antivirus/malware software. I use StopZilla. rer run and rerun till the mud is gone. My old laptop, which runs on 7, was transformed by this, having got to a state where it took 15 minutes to boot up. Good luck!

ps 10 isn't supported at work (a big London uni) . . . . . probably only good for PCs less than 3 years old . . . . I don't use it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here