O/T Property in Spain

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dex10

Sep 8, 2010
After a visit to Barcelona earlier this year I have been thinking of buying an apartment in Spain to use as a holiday home / rental. I realise that their property market may well fall further over the next 12 months or so and was wondering if anyone on here could share any experiences of buying in spain good or bad?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I'm thinking of it and going down to Valencia in a few weeks for a nose around. I think there's a ton to think of including exchange rates, potential tax regimes, if Spain will stay in Euro, and more. I can't remember where I got this from (maybe the British Consulate website) but it's a decent forum to get info from.

Spanish Property forums Index page

Of course anyone can speculate about what might happen and there's a load of peeps on there that have bought property and lost their shirts so they are not too positive so take any comments in context.

I'm pretty certain we will buy, there may still be downside in the market so if profit is your objective I'd maybe wait but then you do run some risk of an upturn. If you want a good value holiday pad I'd go for it.

A few on here that will give you advice too ... as I found a few months ago!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If only there was a TV programme or two that could help out.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
After a visit to Barcelona earlier this year I have been thinking of buying an apartment in Spain to use as a holiday home / rental. I realise that their property market may well fall further over the next 12 months or so and was wondering if anyone on here could share any experiences of buying in spain good or bad?

My mum has lived out there for years (not costa-del-brit but in a few central towns). PM me any direct questions and i'll ask her. She is honest and has finally been accepted into their society and knows all the pitfalls.

Dex10

Sep 8, 2010
Thanks for the above, Barcelona is the area that appeals to me and I mainly wanted to see if anyone had any general advice based on previous experience.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Hi all....having lived here full time for the last 4 years & owning property [in more than one place] please feel free to PM me with any questions. All honestly answered!

Lovecake

Jul 23, 2011
It's a lot further south than Barcelona but I'd buy in Gibraltar... Easy access to spain whenever you want plus cheap flights, no exchange rates, cheap alcohol, cheaper cigarettes. And it's property market is far more stable than Spain's

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Two big problems when buying property in Spain
1.Was it built properly
2.Is it legally correct in as far as the land it is built on
Many instances are coming to light where area commities are bulldozing properties which were authorised by local authorities.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports