Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Hi-fi advice needed - bookshelf speakers

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I bought the majority of my first Hi-Fi from Phase 3 in Worthing, not sure if they are there any more either but they were definitely OK at the time.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Faldo said:
All good stuff folks.

PS - is it wrong that I am HUGELY intimidated by Uncle C's monsters??

Dont feel bad, I've got a really small willy;) ;)

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Uncle C, we don't care how big or small your appendage is, the issue here is trying to give advice in relation to shelf speakers.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Phase 3 have good stuff, but they will belittle your choices if it doesn't match their preferences. In fact, so shitty was the guy in there last time I went in, I withdrew my credit card and told them to get stuffed.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Oh, mind you it was quite a few years ago that I last used Phase 3 and come to think of it what I actually bought was well thought of back then so perhaps I fitted their picture of the ideal buyer.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Superphil said:

Oh, and you can't use the term "Bookshelf Speakers" AND "HiFi" in the same context.

Oh yes you can. These Wilson Duette bookshelf speakers will be available shortly in the UK at about £8000 :eek: :eek:

Duette-Martha.jpg

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Which Tannoy floorstander do you have at present?

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Best brands from speakers within your price range are Wharfedale (IMO). I've blown ebnough through an over powered amp and under powered speakers to know (it's also cost me an amp through that mistake as well).

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
JPW Mini Monitors from Richer Sounds circa 8 years ago.

I suspect technology has moved on but try Richer Sounds they are the dogs bollocks for hi-fi equipment.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Uncle C said:
Oh yes you can. These Wilson Duette bookshelf speakers will be available shortly in the UK at about £8000 :eek: :eek:

Duette-Martha.jpg

Weighin in at 39lbs each, you're going to need a pretty tough bookshelf, but I take you point, they are showing them on a bookshelf. It must be a first.

Then again, for £8K you have a pretty wide choice of quality kit, just don't try and buy it in Phase 3!

Still rate Kef.

These are good and still with a Brighton branch?

Sevenoaks Hi-Fi

7 Genotin Road, Enfield, EN1 2AA

Tel: 0208 342 1973

Bit also try here

GRAHAMS HI FI Canonbury Yard, 190a New North Road, LONDON, N1 7BS Tel: 0207 - 226 5500

They do quality decks such as Rega's and may be closer

LC

Franks Wild Years said:
Just bought some £75 Gale bookshelf speakers (for my kitchen) from Richer Sounds. You can take their stuff home and try it and exchange if you don't like.
IMHO (I'm a sound engineer)for the money they're bloody fantastic.

hOW BIG ARE THEY?:rolleyes:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I have a pair of KEF speakers (Richer Sounds - were they at Waterloo in 1985-ish) gathering dust in my attic. What do I need to attach them to my PC so I can listen to Radio 7 repeats from the comfort of my living room ?

Dick Knights Mum said:
I have a pair of KEF speakers (Richer Sounds - were they at Waterloo in 1985-ish) gathering dust in my attic. What do I need to attach them to my PC so I can listen to Radio 7 repeats from the comfort of my living room ?

Get a hi fi amp, a mini jack to two hi-fi connectors lead to go from your PC to the amp, some speaker cable and away you go.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Can't go wrong with B&W's these are ours (similar) with Cambridge Audio Amp and Power Amp - stunning sounds....they are actually called bookshelf speakers too...

Sevenoaks High Fi is the place...

DM_601main[1].jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here