Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Food. Lazy Ginger and Garlic

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Tip about ginger it's VERY easy to peel.......... as long you don't use something sharp like er.. knife or peeler.

Because of it's fiberous nature and the direction of the fibres a sharp instrument will attempt to cut through them. Making the job twice as hard as it needs to be.

Try with the very blunt back of a knife (or the handle of a teaspoon) and you will be absolutely amazed how easy the skin scrapes off. I gently scrape with a blunt table knife.

You won't believe it until you try. The sharper the blade the harder the job.

Nearly there. Use the bowl of a spoon. Inverted so to speak. By far the simplest with zero waste. This tip was given to me personally by Raymond Blanc.

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
40+ posts on a thread with "lazy ginger" in the title and nobody's made a Harley reference yet? Poor show, need to up your games folks.

FWIW I'd say fresh every time - the lazy stuff isn't actively horrible but it falls well short. Agree with many of the tips on here - also worth noting that you don't need to peel garlic cloves before using - squish the whole clove with the back of your big knife, chop off the solid bit at the base of the clove and the skin should come away easily. Then just chop the semi-squished clove as finely as you need. Done this way, you barely need to touch the actual garlic at all. As with most food prep tasks, a good, sharp, reasonably heavy chef's knife is a wondrous thing to have - you'll never regret investing in one.

Last edited:

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
As an alternative aldi or lidl I forget which one sell humongous single cloves of garlic, roughly the sir of a golf ball. Saves as much time as opening a jar of the prepared stuff. Or as I do once a month make a big batch of stock up with loads of minced garlic and decant into ice cube trays and freeze. Pop out a cube whenever you need it for anything, curries, stir frys, stews , etc.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Jar stuff is rubbish. Got some on the way home last night and used it in a stir fry.

Ruined it completely.

so you didn tlisten to most on here then?,oh well,least you wont try it again

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
Real thing it is then, just can't stand the smell on my fingers for hours later even after scrubbing.

I was given a tip for getting garlic smell out: never wash your hands in hot water after it just works the smell in more. I wasn't sure I believed it but it seems to work: lots of nice smelling soap and cold water. Don't know if its the same for ginger but it might be.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
As an alternative aldi or lidl I forget which one sell humongous single cloves of garlic, roughly the sir of a golf ball. Saves as much time as opening a jar of the prepared stuff. Or as I do once a month make a big batch of stock up with loads of minced garlic and decant into ice cube trays and freeze. Pop out a cube whenever you need it for anything, curries, stir frys, stews , etc.

It's amazing how everyone forgets whether It's aldi or lidl they frequent. Me included. I often have the same problem with my girlfriend and her sister. At the time I clearly remember which is better but later I forget. Weird

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
get yourself one of these:

41P4f496aLL._SX450_.jpg

stainless steel soap - rub your hands with it under running water, no real soap required. i was skeptical, but it bloody well works.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here