Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Does the punishment fit the crime ?

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Is it true they have no powers to stop you so can just walk away ???

Possibly the same as some PCSO's/Specials (depending on the police force) whereby they can request you stop but not make you? They could then report you to the police

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
sanctimonious bunch of judgmental w-ankers it was only a warning for the unaware

No, it was a warning and a moan about the level of the fine. And of course a suggestion that your 'mate' would actually pick it up.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Good. It's always amazed me how many smokers don't think cigarette butts are litter. The butts take up to 10 years to decompose. Smoke by all means but dispose of the butt properly. Seeing drivers flicking them out of their window really winds me up too.

I agree with stamping down on litter louts, but this line that has been trotted out by anti-litter/anti-smoking lobby has always been boxxocks. It it were true why are there not piles of fag butts 3 feet deep lying in the gutter everywhere?

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
£75 pound is excessive, it is an easy way for the council to make money. Profits will be split 50/50 between the Council and the company that it has been outsourced to.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I agree with stamping down on litter louts, but this line that has been trotted out by anti-litter/anti-smoking lobby has always been boxxocks. It it were true why are there not piles of fag butts 3 feet deep lying in the gutter everywhere?

There are piles of fag butts until the council pay someone to pick them up or they go down the drain and the water company pays someone to filter them out.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Errr because establishments such as pubs clear them up on their own property and councils clean the streets of them regularly. Don't believe the decomposition time ? Google it, plastic takes a long time.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Brilliant you go to put some money in your back pocket but by mistake it falls to the ground. The 3 wise men in black descend and tell you are criminal act has been committed and its a £75 fine. Also as your litter was cash they are treating this as an attempt to bribe them, and they will be seeking charges on this also. And no you can't have your cash back as its evidence.

It won't be long before the council start charging everyone for the air that they breathe

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If you think it is high then maybe it is is at the right level to act as a deterrent. Will the OP's mate think twice before dropping his litter on the streets or will he just look around to check there are no 'litter Police' around before dropping it?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Brilliant you go to put some money in your back pocket but by mistake it falls to the ground. The 3 wise men in black descend and tell you are criminal act has been committed and its a £75 fine. Also as your litter was cash they are treating this as an attempt to bribe them, and they will be seeking charges on this also. And no you can't have your cash back as its evidence.

It won't be long before the council start charging everyone for the air that they breathe

You've already been given your answer.

To me, that's the problem with the British psyche. Rather than admit we're making a mess and that we should know better, and subsequently take any punishment on the chin, we look for loop holes to wriggle our way out.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Are there cigarette butt bins/ashtrays in the street now then?

They've had things for stubbing them out on top for years, in Brighton.

Shame they can't redirect this resource to stopping idiots using their mobile phones when driving. Save a life v fag butt on the floor. No contest.

Saw a guy the other day driving with his right hand out of the window, holding a cigarette, a yellow duster in his left hand, cleaning the windscreen, whilst facing backwards talking to the child in the car seat behind him. Must take quite some skill.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So the contract is handled by a firm in Hampshire who receive a fee for each ticket issued, so they are definitely not telling the wardens to issue as many tickets as possible.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Consistently shocked by how filthy roadsides are, both A roads and motorways. What a mess.
Glad they are starting to fine for this.

Re the above, was thinking just this as I drove down the A27 eastwards from the Dyke roundabout down to the A23 turning - have a look next time you're on that bit of road, it's horrendous....

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I have an issue with fixed penalties in as much as they aren't related to the ability to pay; a 6th form student might not have any income at all and so be unable to pay whereas someone on £100k a year could pay it several times over.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
£75; way over the top, I reckon.
Why the hell are three litter police walking round together?
What a waste of resources.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here