Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T: Computer help required...

Jul 12, 2003
Oxfordshire
Monitor doesn't show anything on screen when connected to the desktop.

But I know the monitor is working, cos I connected it up to the laptop, using the same cable that I have previously used from the desktop to the monitor (therefore proving that it's not a cable fault).

When I turn the desktop on, it makes all the usual noises etc - nothing seems different there.

So it seems like the desktop is having problems sending information to the monitor.

Am I right in thinking this is either a video card or motherboard issue...?!

And what would be the next steps?

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
Is it a new monitor, I mean have you been using it fine already and one day this problem has started?

Are you sure all cables are plugged in properly? Are there any other DVI ports on your desktop you can plug your monitor into? - a lot of new graphics cards have two.

Next step would be for you to say what computer experience you have and would you be able to open up your PC? If not take it (your PC) to your local PC shop or find a local nerd.

Last edited:

Jul 12, 2003
Oxfordshire
Is it a new monitor, I mean have you been using it fine already and one day this problem has started?

Are you sure all cables are plugged in properly? Are there any other DVI ports on your desktop you can plug your monitor into? - a lot of new graphics cards have two.

Next step would be for you to say what computer experience you have and would you be able to open up your PC? If not take it (your PC) to your local PC shop or find a local nerd.

Thanks for your help.

No, not a new monitor; yes, as you describe, using it for ages and then this suddenly happened!

Yes, have checked all cables plugged in properly.

The PC only has one DVI port.

I'm not an expert, but not a beginner either - and I've opened up the PC.

Cheers!

blackprince

Jul 16, 2007
Monitors can be connected to the desktop either by using an onboard graphics capability or by a graphics card which uses one of the available expansion slots.
If you look at the motherboard if it is using onboard graphics, the DVI port will be part of the motherboard's inbuilt circuitry. A graphics card can be removed from its expansion slot. If you have the former, (onboard graphics), a graphics card can be substituted for it and the onboard capability disabled. If it is the latter, then replacing the graphics card with another should do the trick.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
If its worked ok and nothing has changed, then it's probably the video card. Do you get the boot screens before the operating system loads ? if not, and the monitor is proven ok elsewhere then that pretty much confirms it.

Jul 12, 2003
Oxfordshire
Monitors can be connected to the desktop either by using an onboard graphics capability or by a graphics card which uses one of the available expansion slots.
If you look at the motherboard if it is using onboard graphics, the DVI port will be part of the motherboard's inbuilt circuitry. A graphics card can be removed from its expansion slot. If you have the former, (onboard graphics), a graphics card can be substituted for it and the onboard capability disabled. If it is the latter, then replacing the graphics card with another should do the trick.

Cheers, blackprince.

The DVI port is part of the motherboard on my PC, so I guess I need to buy a graphics card then...??

Jul 12, 2003
Oxfordshire
If its worked ok and nothing has changed, then it's probably the video card. Do you get the boot screens before the operating system loads ? if not, and the monitor is proven ok elsewhere then that pretty much confirms it.

No, I don't, which as you say, pretty much confirms it.

Thanks for the response.

Graphics card shopping in the morning then, methinks.....

blackprince

Jul 16, 2007
Just remember when shopping for your graphics card that not all expansion slots are the same. Have a look at your motherboard's manual to see what expansion slots your board has and make sure: a)that there is a spare slot, and b) obviously purchase a card that is compatible.

Jul 12, 2003
Oxfordshire
Just remember when shopping for your graphics card that not all expansion slots are the same. Have a look at your motherboard's manual to see what expansion slots your board has and make sure: a)that there is a spare slot, and b) obviously purchase a card that is compatible.

Indeed. Have already checked (there is a spare slot), but good advice all the same. Thanks ;-)

The surprisingly human and articulate bloke in PC World this evening thought it could be a card OR motherboard issue.

Do we reckon that's just a ruse to get me to hand over £50 + parts when a cheaper video card will solve the problem??

OR, has he got a point...???

Think I'll seek some more advice tomorrow...

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
I'm confused, you said the DVI port comes from the motherboard,
The DVI port is part of the motherboard on my PC
so you haven't got a graphics card right? Because if you had a graphics card the monitor cable would be plugged into that.

So, you either have a graphics card that is screwed and needs replacing, or you are using the intergrated graphics chip on your mobo and that is either screwed or it's your BIOS that has been messed up (due to computer crash or power failure maybe?) which would need you to do a hard reset by changing some jumper settings on your mobo.

Anyway, I get stressed enough solving my family and friends computer problems, so good luck!

Last edited:

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
Hello, unfortunately it could be a number of issues from the graphics card, processor, memory or motherboard. Some computers will give different beeps according to what the problem is although this is less common now. I would definitely start by taking the memory modules out and swapping them around and then putting them back in. If it's an onboard graphics card then if you buy a stand alone card you must make sure you buy the correct card for your machine graphics slot, i.e. agp or pci express. If you are buying parts make sure that you can take them back to the shop. Also unfortunately the prices in the shops for parts are much greater than over the internet but it should be easier to take them back. If it is the motherboard it can be difficult as you need to make sure that the new motherboard is compatible with your existing parts and can become quite expensive. Pm me if you need any more help

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here