Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T - Community Garden. A request for some advice...

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Gardening whilst drunk is probably a bad idea.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Anyhoo, thanks to a whole variety of helpers and volunteers - not least of which NSC's Muzzy (aka The Allotment Shed) - the garden now has some greenery planted.

For those who are interested in how this pans out (count them on one hand of a sloth, I'd guess), feel free to follow us on Twitter, @stanfordcommgdn or on FB - Stanford Avenue Community Garden,

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
As an update, and considering how shambolic the whole thing was, I've got to properly thank Muzzy for all his help and support doing the garden. Top bloke.

The tomato vines are withering now, with around 4kg of tomatoes now produced from the tiniest of original plants. Onions, herbs, cabbage and kohlrabi were all planted and harvested. We've made spicy green tomato chutney from the tomato harvest, also using a Bramley apple from a nearby tree.

On the secondary plot, people were obviously throwing down their own wild flower seed bombs, as the area became a riot of colour - and bees and butterflies were constant visitors. I must say there is something quite enchanting, relaxing and strangely encouraging watching bees go about their business from flower to flower.

Anyhoo - we start all over again very soon with hopefully something a bit more organised, and with luck - a big harvest next year.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
As an update, and considering how shambolic the whole thing was, I've got to properly thank Muzzy for all his help and support doing the garden. Top bloke.

The tomato vines are withering now, with around 4kg of tomatoes now produced from the tiniest of original plants. Onions, herbs, cabbage and kohlrabi were all planted and harvested. We've made spicy green tomato chutney from the tomato harvest, also using a Bramley apple from a nearby tree.

On the secondary plot, people were obviously throwing down their own wild flower seed bombs, as the area became a riot of colour - and bees and butterflies were constant visitors. I must say there is something quite enchanting, relaxing and strangely encouraging watching bees go about their business from flower to flower.

Anyhoo - we start all over again very soon with hopefully something a bit more organised, and with luck - a big harvest next year.

:clap2:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I must say there is something quite enchanting, relaxing and strangely encouraging watching bees go about their business from flower to flower.

And watching cats go about their business from flower to flower? Not so much.

Seriously Al, looks fantastic. Always like to see how the Community Garden is coming along on me meander to London road station and the Amex in the rare breaks between international breaks. More communities around town should reclaim the streets in a similar manner. What's not to like?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Sorry - just seen this thread. I can't offer any advice but I think the bloke you need to talk to is called Duncan and he's chair(?) of the Friends of the William Clarke Park ("The Patch" to you and me). He was, I think the one who got the Lewes Road one off the ground and the one that Tescos threatened to ruin if he didn't stop the important development of a much needed supermarket and bookmakers in the Lewes Road area (sarcasm alert).*

*As someone else has pointed out, Tescos pulled out and it's been empty for nigh on 2 years now.

EDIT - and the very best of luck. Anything which brightens Brighton has got to be a good thing.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Seriously Al, looks fantastic. Always like to see how the Community Garden is coming along on me meander to London road station and the Amex in the rare breaks between international breaks. More communities around town should reclaim the streets in a similar manner. What's not to like?

Even the foxes have mellowed out.

Lee - cheers for that. We got a bit of grief from some people, saying they preferred the road and the idling taxis instead of the garden and flower bed.

Even in suburbia, pottiness craves its own attention.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Before
Pics2.jpg

After
20140518_194754.jpg

Before
Pics3.jpg

After
20140518_194734.jpg

20140513_190035.jpg

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

There's also the tiny flower gardens at the foot of every tree along Southdown Avenue...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There's also the tiny flower gardens at the foot of every tree along Southdown Avenue...

Thanks for the update photos TLO. Community Garden looking great! Love it that the kids will be able to watch the plants and flowers grow on a daily basis and appreciate them at close quarters.

Would be grand if the Southdown Avenue tiny flower gardens thing could be extended, street by street, much in the way the Open House festival thing started off at Ned Hoskins house in Hollingbury Road in the early eighties, right opposite my house. He's still doing it 32 years down the line! :bowdown:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
UPDATE - because some of you may care.

In our first full year of the garden, we won 'Best Community Garden' at this year's Brighton & Hove City In Bloom competition. We're pleased, and it's nice getting recognition from our contemporaries. We've already had plenty of food grown and consumed this year, and more to come.

20140916_093030.jpg

20140916_085817.jpg

20140916_093247.jpg

20140916_093409.jpg

20140916_085753.jpg

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Hearty congratulations Al!

A well deserved award and I can personally attest to the quality of the grub that can be freely pilfered from that plot, it really is a great little garden.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Cheers, Shandy.

People are welcome to help themselves to whatever produce is ready, as long as they leave some for others. Currently, carrots, green peppers, rocket, beetroot, chard, mizuma and varied salad leaves - as well as sage, fennel and rosemary - are all there for anyone who wants any. Leeks will be ready in about a 4-6 weeks or so.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Cheers, Shandy.

People are welcome to help themselves to whatever produce is ready, as long as they leave some for others. Currently, carrots, green peppers, rocket, beetroot, chard, mizuma and varied salad leaves - as well as sage, fennel and rosemary - are all there for anyone who wants any. Leeks will be ready in about a 4-6 weeks or so.

This is bloody brilliant.

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
Nice to see it's been a success, expected to read that it had been vandalised and people had lost heart.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here