Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T - central heating & boiler question - help would be greatly appreciated

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It's quicker. :smile: I said I was a cowboy.

No, never do this. I have been a plumber for many years and I'm not sure how this is quicker. ???
The quickest way to fill and bleed a heating system with a combi boiler is with two people, one to operate the filling loop and the other to bleed the rads.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
No, never do this. I have been a plumber for many years and I'm not sure how this is quicker. ???
The quickest way to fill and bleed a heating system with a combi boiler is with two people, one to operate the filling loop and the other to bleed the rads.

I use Wrong Direction my bleeding son :rolleyes:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Or now he's used the PRV, that is letting by (even more than before..)

Goldstone1976 - Is the PRV (the open pipe to outside) dripping after you have released pressure from it ?

Mark (plumber) was dismayed that I'd played with the PRV, saying that I really shouldn't have done so as "they almost never reseat themselves properly". I pointed out that the boiler instruction book told me to do precisely what I'd done. He shrugged and said it was wrong. Apparently, I should have released the pressure by bleeding a rad until the pressure dropped. You live and learn.

Anyway, he took the PRV out, cleaned it, greased it and reseated it. The pipe didn't drip after that. I said "So, how come I was having to bleed the rad every two weeks?" He said "Either the PRV has been somewhat unseated for some time and it's been leaking even before your ill advised playing with it this morning (ie exactly as you suggest), or you have a different leak. Given you can't see any leak and there's no water coming through the downstairs ceiling, it's likely that any such leak is through a join in a pipe in your ground floor concrete floor. You better hope it's not that, as that will be seriously expensive and inconvenient. Check the pressure gauge in a week. If it's dropped, you have a leak other than the PRV". All made sense to me... hope it's the former diagnosis...

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
You're not to know, but yes they are notorious.

Good that he took the effort to clean and fix. Mind you, Bank holiday Sunday call out, nice if you can get it..!

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Mark (plumber) was dismayed that I'd played with the PRV, saying that I really shouldn't have done so as "they almost never reseat themselves properly". I pointed out that the boiler instruction book told me to do precisely what I'd done. He shrugged and said it was wrong. Apparently, I should have released the pressure by bleeding a rad until the pressure dropped. You live and learn.

Anyway, he took the PRV out, cleaned it, greased it and reseated it. The pipe didn't drip after that. I said "So, how come I was having to bleed the rad every two weeks?" He said "Either the PRV has been somewhat unseated for some time and it's been leaking even before your ill advised playing with it this morning (ie exactly as you suggest), or you have a different leak. Given you can't see any leak and there's no water coming through the downstairs ceiling, it's likely that any such leak is through a join in a pipe in your ground floor concrete floor. You better hope it's not that, as that will be seriously expensive and inconvenient. Check the pressure gauge in a week. If it's dropped, you have a leak other than the PRV". All made sense to me... hope it's the former diagnosis...

Personally I would move ----It will be cheaper in the long run :moo:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
He shrugged and said it was wrong. Apparently, I should have released the pressure by bleeding a rad until the pressure dropped. You live and learn.

Shame, i said in post 13 to "Bleed the problem radiator until the pressure on the boiler drops to the correct level, maybe helpful to have someone at the boiler to tell you when the pressure has reached the correct level."
Never mind as you say, you live and learn.......i did.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Shame, i said in post 13 to "Bleed the problem radiator until the pressure on the boiler drops to the correct level, maybe helpful to have someone at the boiler to tell you when the pressure has reached the correct level."
Never mind as you say, you live and learn.......i did.

You did indeed. Unfortunately, I didn't see your post until I returned to post that I'd played with the PRV. It was remiss of me to not subsequently acknowledge the correctness of your advice, which I happily do now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here