Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Baby Monitors

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Good morning sage parent-folk of North Stand Chat.

I am very shortly to become a Dad for the first time, and have been given the job by the lovely Mrs Orange of selecting a Baby Monitor.

Now the research that I have done tells me that there are a lot of these on the market, and many have some pretty cool features. But the trouble I have is getting some real-world knowledge of what various models are like to use.

What I'd really like is one that has clear sound reproduction, a temperature monitor... and Mrs Orange wants a torch apparently (we have several already so I'm not sure about that one).

So, what do you parents out there use, and what do you think of them?

Thanks in advance.

:thumbsup:

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London

I am very shortly to become a Dad for the first time, and have been given the job by the lovely Mrs Orange of selecting a Baby Monitor.

Now the research that I have done tells me that there are a lot of these on the market, and many have some pretty cool features. But the trouble I have is getting some real-world knowledge of what various models are like to use.

What I'd really like is one that has clear sound reproduction, a temperature monitor... and Mrs Orange wants a torch apparently (we have several already so I'm not sure about that one).

Thanks in advance.

Hi

We bought this one:
BT 150 Digital Baby Monitor: Amazon.co.uk: Baby

and it's been excellent. Clear sound, but best of all you can turn the sensitivity right down so only the really loud screams get through and the chatter and general gurgling is cut out. It's got a pretty decent range as well and the light on the top that tells you if it's linked with the base station is handy.

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009

Thanks in advance.

Hello mate

Not sure what brand we have so cant reccomend on that but i would definetly recommend one with Video camera.

Gives you comfort that you can actually see them and if my little boy (16 mnths) is crying i can check to see if he is standing up going mental or just having a little sleep cry.

Little bit more money but well worth not having to get up every 5 mins

PriapismBoy

Apr 18, 2011
Durrington
We brought a baby monitor with a sensor mat that detects movement like baby breathing, It is fitted with an alarm which will go off if there is no movement for about 40s. Also has a light fitted, We slept much better knowing if anything happened we would know about it due to the sensor mat. Prices from about £60.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
We brought a baby monitor with a sensor mat that detects movement like baby breathing, It is fitted with an alarm which will go off if there is no movement for about 40s. Also has a light fitted, We slept much better knowing if anything happened we would know about it due to the sensor mat. Prices from about £60.

Did the sensor alarm go off often? I'd be worried I'd be up and down all night only to see that the baby was fast asleep and just not moving.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Well, our third is 1 now and we've only ever had a Tomy Walkabout digital monitor, that has some flashing lights on the top, variable sound, and temperature indicators. I don't think we could have needed anymore, and it's served us well for all 3 of them.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
This might sound odd, but a baby monitor is the best thing we bought for my dad. He has advanced Alzheimers and having a couple of cameras on him in his room or wherever he is sitting / sleeping has been absolutely wonderful, and fully worth the money. Without it, we were having to go into his room every couple of minutes which is exhausting. They should be recommended to everyobe in this position.

Jul 7, 2003
Bolton
We use a mid range tommee tippee one that has been great for the last 18 months - temperature gauge - lights on the top indicating how loud the noise is (you can turn the volume right down should you want) and a vibrate option - battery lasts a good 4-5 hours off the charging stand - oh yeah it also has a built in night light that you can switch on an off remotely

In terms of those sensitivity mats if youre worried about such things then get one - but make sure you also go on a baby resuscitation course as well - they are widely available - i couldnt think of anything worse that the alarm going off and you standing around helplessly not knowing what to do.

PriapismBoy

Apr 18, 2011
Durrington
No alarm did sound often, Our girl is now 17 months and we stopped using the sensor mat when she was about 12 months. Just need to make sure the sensor mat is placed under the mattress in the middle of the moses basket or cot. The alarm only went off about 4 - 5 times in the period we used it, that was due to not placing the sensor mat accordingly. The hand monitor also has a flashing light which flashes when the sonsor is detected( so every time baby breaths).This is great because if you are worried all you have to do is look at your monitor instead of going in the baby's room and checking him/her. We are so glad we brought this as we also were worried. I will post on the make of monitor later with a link if I can find one.
Did the sensor alarm go off often? I'd be worried I'd be up and down all night only to see that the baby was fast asleep and just not moving.

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009
No alarm did sound often, Our girl is now 17 months and we stopped using the sensor mat when she was about 12 months. Just need to make sure the sensor mat is placed under the mattress in the middle of the moses basket or cot. The alarm only went off about 4 - 5 times in the period we used it, that was due to not placing the sensor mat accordingly. The hand monitor also has a flashing light which flashes when the sonsor is detected( so every time baby breaths).This is great because if you are worried all you have to do is look at your monitor instead of going in the baby's room and checking him/her. We are so glad we brought this as we also were worried. I will post on the make of monitor later with a link if I can find one.

Reading this really makes me recall that whilst its the most amazing feeling, those first 6 months really were the scariest times also. I would find myself waking every 30 mins just to check he was still breathing. Was living off of espresso for a long time

PriapismBoy

Apr 18, 2011
Durrington
Reading this really makes me recall that whilst its the most amazing feeling, those first 6 months really were the scariest times also. I would find myself waking every 30 mins just to check he was still breathing. Was living off of espresso for a long time

I agree, Even with the sensor mat I still woke and checked for the first few months. After that I think the sonsor really eased our worries. Wife wants another now so looks like I will be going through it again. HELP

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009
I agree, Even with the sensor mat I still woke and checked for the first few months. After that I think the sonsor really eased our worries. Wife wants another now so looks like I will be going through it again. HELP

Yes good luck with that.My Mrs has hinted in past few weeks that she would like a 2nd. Just as im starting to get some sleep

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
I thought this was gonna be a thread about baby lizards :blush:

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
My parents had a monitor that was wired (in the early 70s). If they ever wanted to pop across to the neighbours of a Sat night, they'd string it between the two houses! (we lived at the end of a cul-de-sac). No need for infra-red movement detection cameras in my day!!

Sonic

Spiky little bugger!
Jul 6, 2003
Patcham
We've had 2 Philips 'Avent' baby monitors for our boys. Both have been great. I would say a basic one (without video or breathing monitor) is fine. I've been told that there's the possibility of being glued to it and scaring yourself by every little thing if it's packed full of features that warn you about everything. I would say providing you can hear them if they need you, that's enough. If you have a second child, you'll probably agree at that point and wonder what all the fuss was about first time round. It's amazing how much more relaxed you are about everything after the first, and don't pay out for things which you realise you don't need. Let's face it, back when lots of us were kids, baby monitors didn't even exist and it wasn't a problem.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We've had 2 Philips 'Avent' baby monitors for our boys. Both have been great. I would say a basic one (without video or breathing monitor) is fine. I've been told that there's the possibility of being glued to it and scaring yourself by every little thing if it's packed full of features that warn you about everything. I would say providing you can hear them if they need you, that's enough. If you have a second child, you'll probably agree at that point and wonder what all the fuss was about first time round. It's amazing how much more relaxed you are about everything after the first, and don't pay out for things which you realise you don't need. Let's face it, back when lots of us were kids, baby monitors didn't even exist and it wasn't a problem.

I'd have to agree with this. You need to be able to relax a bit as a parent. With our first we had a bath temperature gauge which I spent ages getting the water to exactly 21 deg. Seems ludicrous now given our 3rd goes in as long as it doesn't feel too hot on my elbow!

I'd say the temperature feature is a good one on a monitor, especially for a baby born in summer when it gets very hot, then sound and lights is more than enough. Anything else is personal extra's for your own security, but not necessary really.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There's a balance to be struck between practicality and neurosis. The more gagdgets the more paranoid the missus will get.

The BT products are good. You need volume control, temp display, light and speaker is handy too for telling toddlers to get back into bed when you hear them scurrying about from the floor below. If you're particularly pissed off with your toddler use the speaker to pretend to be a ghost in their room. Used sparingly it creates much mirth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here