Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Are there any mechanics on here?

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
What car?

Is the noise coming from front or rear?

The rust around the edge is normal, the clean face is from contact with the friction material of the pads.

The face of the discs should be almost polished in appearance and smooth to the touch (a few light grooves are ok but the important thing is they are shiny and smooth) there may be a lip around the edge of the disc(s) which the back (black metal bit) on the pads is grinding on.

It's probably something really simple and run of the mill but get it into someone as a matter of urgency to be looked at - tyres and brakes are the 2 most important things to keep you on the road safely!

You might be really lucky that its a stone or bit of gravel caught up somewhere!

If you can get some pics up it would help :)

Hyundai i20

Front drivers

Yh the face is clean and felt pretty smooth to me, hopefully it is just a lip or a stone stuck as I don't feel like spending to much!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hello any mechanics about tonight?

I have a hole in my Honda's radiator.
The car is booked in for Monday but with the trains up the creek I could really do with using it this weekend.

Is something like Radweld 'genuine'?
By which I mean can I use it and be almost 100% confident that we'll not get marooned somewhere.
But more importantly this quick fix doesn't do even more damage to the car, other than the already knackered rad. (see I'm trying to talk your language there)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:bounce: anyone?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Guess it all depends how big the hole is. Radweld will probably seal up a small weep or drip but won't plug a gusher.

I've driven home from Swindon to Telford with a severe water leak - you have to carry a load of top up and keep a very careful eye on the temp-gauge. Soon as it goes past the norm / mid-point for more than 5 minutes pull over immediately and top up. It is likely the frequency of these stops will get more regular as holes only ever get bigger unless you give Radweld a try - I didn't.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Guess it all depends how big the hole is. Radweld will probably seal up a small weep or drip but won't plug a gusher.

I've driven home from Swindon to Telford with a severe water leak - you have to carry a load of top up and keep a very careful eye on the temp-gauge. Soon as it goes past the norm / mid-point for more than 5 minutes pull over immediately and top up. It is likely the frequency of these stops will get more regular as holes only ever get bigger unless you give Radweld a try - I didn't.

Agree with all of that but I think a much better product is K-seal, available at most, although not Halfords as they have a tie-up with Wynns I believe, motor factors. If you use anything remember it's only really a " get you home " temporary fix, the liquids are better than the old "dog-turd" type treatments. Get it fixed properly ASAP though.

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
I would steer clear of any of these additives if possible, not only do they try and plug the leak, they also try to plug waterways which on some engines can be very small. As a previous poster said keep adding coolant until you can get it fixed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks for the advise. I'm guessing the hole is of gusher proportions, as I seem to be only able to go a few miles on a full rad of water!!

West Sussex to Brighton would be impossible, hence having a new radiator fitted next week.
Therefore I'm not to bothered about gunking up the current one, I just don't want to damage anything else.
In an ideal world I just want to make one 40 mile round trip ending at the garage!!

Fookin trains :rant:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here