Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T- any Seagulls in Prague?

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
I'm sure I've seen a posting or two from Prague-based Seagulls fans on here before, so I just thought I'd pop my head up and say hello, having moved here a couple of weeks ago.

In terms of footie here, my loyalties are currently being torn between Slavia Prague (which was my granddad's team, and is my cousin's team), and FK Viktoria Žižkov, which is seriously close to where I now live. I think it's their ramshackle 5,600 capacity stadium which is in danger of sealing my loyalty: despite its limitations, they ply their trade in the Czech equivalent of the Premiership. For some reason I have a soft spot for clubs punching above their weight in knackered old grounds (I wonder why that might be?), and now we no longer fit that description, I might have to plump for Žižkov! Quite like the idea of following them and blogging it, I know it's been done before but always in much better-known leagues than the Czech one.

Anyway, most importantly, is there any way to actually catch Brighton games out here? Someone back home has told me that the Hull game is on telly: a) is this true?, and b) if so, surely there's some kinda English pub that'll be showing it somewhere in this city, no? Or is that just wishful thinking?

Any advice on a decent ISP (that isn't UPC or O2) in this city will also be gratefully received.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
What stopped me supporting Zizkov...despite the fact, I lived in a street opposite the 'Stadium"...Husinecka.... was the fact the games were at 10:15 on Sunday mornings... I cant even begin to imagine getting up at that time of day on a sunday...providing im not still out doing Saturday!....I lived in Zizkov for 3 years, but now im over the river in Smichov to be nearer bar that myself and gf have over there...more of a music club for the Ukrainian community...you can only imagine...
Are you working in Chodov (Prague 4)? Most English people seem to end up there..myself included...

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Hm that's a good point Dave, I'm not sure I'd fancy 10.15 on Sunday mornings either.

Not working anywhere just yet, I'm subsidising myself with my UK redundancy payment while I re-familiarise myself with the language and the way stuff works over here (it's some 10 years since I was last here, quite a lot has changed). Žižkov is a great place to do that from, I think. Got myself a CELTA before I came out here though so I should be able to find something after my xmas trip back to Blighty.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
In Chodov you have DHL, Accenture, IBM, Danfoss and a bunch of other people...depends what sort of work youre looking for... I still get my grass in Zizkov haha...so still schlep back and forth....never try to walk up the hill next to the stadium....I did it once as I saw an 80yr old Czech woman with walking stick doing it..... nearly killed me...
Cheap food at the Akropolis...i take visitors there and they always seem to give it a thumbs up...big plates of food and cheap.
When you start working...you can get SKY tv fitted here... so I see all the matches live anyway... Prague Sky Digital & Satellite for Expats - Prague Czech Republic

Lot of people talk about IKON for work...ive seen both good and bad reports for them, but they are always recruiting...not entirely sure what they do, but I know a lot of people started their Prague lives there.

Last edited:

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
where abouts is your bar dave ? me and the mrs and some other mates are coming over 2nd week of november. were staying in hotel caesar , have no idea where it is though

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Looks like you are just over the river from us Danny... our bar is in area called Smichov...thats the side the castle is on... our bar is Club Midnight on street called Zubateho.. and the street is opp a Tesco express so not hard to find.. mapy.cz will help you... we are between tramstops Svandovo Divadlo and Arbessovo Namesti....yeah youre welcome.. Friday, Sat and Sunday we are open...Sat is a nightmare...packed solid, Fridays and Sundays more comfortable... we are probably the main Ukrainian bar in the center at the moment so saturday its very busy and we charge money on the door....Seagulls, their families and friends are of course exempt from this. Saturday you have to like 80-90s Russian pop... Fridays and Sundays, my gf does the music and its more up to date Russian music. Some pretty women have been coming lately I have to say.

Last edited:

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
In Chodov you have DHL, Accenture, IBM, Danfoss and a bunch of other people...depends what sort of work youre looking for... I still get my grass in Zizkov haha...so still schlep back and forth....never try to walk up the hill next to the stadium....I did it once as I saw an 80yr old Czech woman with walking stick doing it..... nearly killed me...

I was in Prague about three weeks ago stayed at the three crowns on Cimburkova - walkedup that hill to the TV Tower bit of a killer. I really liked Zizkov plenty of cheap bars and restuarants would reccommend Einsteins pizza on junction with Seifertova and Cimburkova. Wife and i are seriously considering moving out there.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Thanks Smithy Over in Czech on my own for work so its nice to chat with other Seagulls thats why i joined mainly , still manage to make most home league games though

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Sounds interesting i might pop up for a couple of days to Prague and visit Dave , i am based in Brno and only just joined NSC , have seen your posts before though.

Visited Dave's club with a group of Albion mates a year ago, had a great time, Dave was a great host, just watch out if he offers you a shot of his chilli vodka!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here