Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T: Any mechanics out there.. advice needed

Chapper's Own Goal

Dec 29, 2008
Just got in my diesel citreon and altho it started , the alternator light stayed on and most of the electrics dont work,speedo, windowwipers, petrol gauge etc(luckily the headlights still did so i could get home) Im just wondering whether the cold weather has knacked the battery hence the problems. Would a new battery solve the problem or is there anything I can do to 'revive' the existing battery? I know this is very boring but any help/advice would be greatly appreciated .

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Just got in my diesel citreon and altho it started , the alternator light stayed on and most of the electrics dont work,speedo, windowwipers, petrol gauge etc(luckily the headlights still did so i could get home) Im just wondering whether the cold weather has knacked the battery hence the problems. Would a new battery solve the problem or is there anything I can do to 'revive' the existing battery? I know this is very boring but any help/advice would be greatly appreciated .

Cold can kill a battery, get a new one and you'll be fine

:thumbsup:

Chapper's Own Goal

Dec 29, 2008
Cold can kill a battery, get a new one and you'll be fine

:thumbsup:

Cheers, think that's where i will start. just seems strange some of the electrics are working fine .Usually, with my previous cars once the battery goes, the whole thing is 'kaput'

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Cheers, think that's where i will start. just seems strange some of the electrics are working fine .Usually, with my previous cars once the battery goes, the whole thing is 'kaput'

Sounds like a bad/broken connection to me. Have you checked the fuses??

Lander

NSC down?
Jan 11, 2005
Lindfield
Get a multimeter and find out what voltage coming out of the alternator, and check the acid level of the batteries and get a new battery if all are ok

The Offspring

Resident Guitar Shredder
Jul 8, 2004
Hants/Wilts Border
Sounds like a Fusebox issue, if the car started fine and the lights were able to come one, then I suspect it isn't a battery issue.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

Just join a breakdown recovery service.

Job done!

Saves sodding about in the freezing cold lifting bonnets and getting greasy!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Stop off at an exhaust/ tyre place and ask them to check it for you with a voltmeter. They will and tell you if it is the battery not holding a charge or the alternator not sending out one. Then buy whichever is required.

Chapper's Own Goal

Dec 29, 2008
A fuse had blown .....RESULT.......Didnt fancy forking out for a new alternator or battery..Thanks for all your wise words..:thumbsup:

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
Stop off at an exhaust/ tyre place and ask them to check it for you with a voltmeter. They will and tell you if it is the battery not holding a charge or the alternator not sending out one. Then buy whichever is required.

i doubt any of them know what a voltmeter is, let alone use one

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here