Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T - Advice on transferring money abroad needed

Seagull Stew

I'm moving to New Zealand with the fiance in a couple of months time and need to move a considerable amount of money over with us.

Can anyone recommend a good company to make the transfer through. We're shipping our stuff through Anglo Pacific and they also do money transfers, but does anyone know anyone better, particularly with regards of knowing when to make the transfer as the New Zealand dollar is unfortunately quite strong at the moment.

Thanks in advance!

scooter1

How soon is now?
Don't use Abbey, I needed to get 15 grand to Spain and they got it so wrong, and were then totally uncontactable by phone. I'm still waiting for their call back 4 years later.
My advice, and I have to admit to having very limited knowledge of this, is to leave it here and just draw it through machines, Nationwide don't charge for withdrawing cash in foreign countries - and then when the NZ dollar weakens consider the bulk transfer

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Why not do what I did, open a NZ bank account here and transfer to that ? (I did it with a US bank but I'm sure the procedure is just the same).

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
I've used a company which was called something along the lines of Foreign Currencies Direct (FCD). Their rates were much better than the high street banks. I think that they also do futures.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Who do you bank with?

I have a bank account in Australia and one here - solves all my problems....

Don't use a company to send it you'll get charged through the roof....

Assuming you'll need one there - take enouch cash for two weeks and then set one up when you get there...log into your internet banking from NZ and send it like that - thats what I do!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hi there. I can vouch for Foreign Currencies Direct. I have moved to Berlin and needed to change a large sum into euros. The high street rate was 1.41 and I got 1.456. I was a bit vary of using an internet based company but I did a lot of research to establish they were legitimate before I used them.

The only minor issue I had with them is that when the day came to do the deed I asked what they were offering and the man in charge of my account said he could get 1.41. As this was the rate I could get at the bank (I checked it that morning) I said I was looking for something higher. The chap then said he would look around to see if he could 'piggy back' my deal onto a bigger one to get a higher rate and I was transfered to someone who was doing a big deal who then asked what rate I was looking for. I suggested 1.45-1.46....and got the midpoint (I think the markets 'mid' rates were showing a rate of 1.47-1.48 which I understand no-one bar the very big currency boys can achieve). I could not help but feel that had I not checked the rates that morning I might have not got such a good deal.

In a nut shell get the 'mid' and high street rates and haggle.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I forgot to say feel free to private message me if you want some more info.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada

seagullsslimjim

Sep 26, 2003
Recently used Hi fx - very professional and easy with top rates. just don't use high street banks as you'll get 5% less if they use the tourist rate. i think Hi fx are the biggest in the UK for foreign exchange transactions.

Seagull Stew

Thanks for all the tips.

DJmiles, I'm moving to Tauranga (West Bay of Plenty), and yes, I think I am a lucky sod!

The amount of money I will be transferring will be enough to buy and furnish a house so any small fluctuation in exchange rate and commission charges will make a huge difference.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Thanks for all the tips.

DJmiles, I'm moving to Tauranga (West Bay of Plenty), and yes, I think I am a lucky sod!

The amount of money I will be transferring will be enough to buy and furnish a house so any small fluctuation in exchange rate and commission charges will make a huge difference.

Ah nice one, was one of the places I didn't get to go to when I went out there.

I heard housing is quite cheap compared to what you get over here, is that true?

Seagull Stew

Ah nice one, was one of the places I didn't get to go to when I went out there.

I heard housing is quite cheap compared to what you get over here, is that true?

Hell Yeah!

£300,000 will get you a four bedroom house on the outskirts of the city with a swimming pool and an acre of land!

Only trouble is the public transport system in NZ is diabolical!

seagullsslimjim

Sep 26, 2003
with Hi fx - you have the option to lock in/hedge the current exchange rate for i think two years so that you know exactly how much any further transfers will be

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here