Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NY's new baseball stadium, opens today.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh I forgot:-

'How many other teams are to get new grounds, before us'.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
The New Yankee Stadium also opens for business in the Bronx - a stone's throw away from the old one. I worked on it for four months - very impressive, but actual capacity has decreased due to more corporate areas so some Yankees fans aint too happy.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
It may be cheaper then Wembley but look at the stats.

No roof
only 46000 capacity

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
It seems all the Baseball stadiums aged together.Like our football grounds they all seem to be moving home.

Herm

May 11, 2008
Brighton
Booooo Yankees Booooooo. C'mon Red Sox - oldest ground in Major League Baseball and we will win the World Series this year!

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
And the most exciting thing about the new Citi Field is that I have got four tickets, for me and the kids, to see the both the Cardinals games there in August.

I just cannot fcukin wait :yahoo:

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Booooo Yankees Booooooo. C'mon Red Sox - oldest ground in Major League Baseball and we will win the World Series this year!

Never understood how they are allowed to call it the World Series when it is not completed for by terms from around the world. It would be like The Premiership changing its name to the World League.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
The reason its called the World Series is that when it was first played, it was sponsored by The World newspaper, rather like the Johnstone's Paint Trophy - err ok not very like the JPT but you know what I mean.

However, whilst that may be the origination of the term World Series, it doesn't really entitle the holders, currently Philadelphia, to call themselves World champions does it?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
They're not actually moving there though are they? It's smaller than the Shea (which I went to when I was in New York). In fact, I'm sure they said they crowd was 65,000 when I went, though it says its capacity is 55,000??? Can someone please explain?!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Here are my pics of the Shea, for anyone who is interested. You can see the new one getting built in the background.

Attachments

• shea1.jpg
    shea1.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 286
  • shea2.jpg
    shea2.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 283

Herbert Ashe

Mar 16, 2008
The reason its called the World Series is that when it was first played, it was sponsored by The World newspaper, rather like the Johnstone's Paint Trophy - err ok not very like the JPT but you know what I mean.

Urban myth according to Snopes.

They're not actually moving there though are they? It's smaller than the Shea (which I went to when I was in New York). In fact, I'm sure they said they crowd was 65,000 when I went, though it says its capacity is 55,000??? Can someone please explain?!

Well the Mets are certainly moving there (first MLB game there is in about a week, I think). Dunno if you're getting confused with the Y****** moving into their new ground as well? That's probably bigger capacity than Citi Field.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
This thicko can't work out how to post a picture. I'm trying to put a picture of my last visit to Shea on here.
Please help me as I'm too dim too work it out for myself.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
This thicko can't work out how to post a picture. I'm trying to put a picture of my last visit to Shea on here.
Please help me as I'm too dim too work it out for myself.

Click on the little paperclip, click on browse... Can you work out why theyre moving to a smaller stadium?!

It may be cheaper then Wembley but look at the stats.

No roof
only 46000 capacity

and they haven't had tpo pay to knock down the old one first before they could start building this.

Oh and the main one - they didn't have that cretin Ken Bates in charge

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Click on the little paperclip, click on browse... Can you work out why theyre moving to a smaller stadium?!

It's a smaller capacity but with more corporate entertaining catered for. It will make them a load more money per game but the fans are really pissed off. The Yankees are doing it as well.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Last visit to Shea brought this little beauty in to view...........DSCF3810.JPG

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
I'll get it right one day...............

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Never understood how they are allowed to call it the World Series when it is not completed for by terms from around the world. It would be like The Premiership changing its name to the World League.

At least the World Baseball Classic does involve other countries - mainly from Asia and South America but does also have european teams (Italy and the Netherlands). The Japanese won it again this year. The Americans are still sceptical about it - probably because they croaked in the semis this year !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here