Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Nunez

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Anyone else thinking the man from Almeria who turned us down could have a big influence on Sunday’s game.

Can we not wind him up with piss taking chants at him please? :lolol:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Looks like he needed a ‘stepping stone’ club in the EPL before he got his big move to Liverpool.

I genuinely believe he’d be banging them in regularly for Liverpool if they’d purchased him from us instead of Benfica. He is having to learn to swim in the deep end and is really struggling.

I still think he’ll come good but not before he has helped secure Liverpool a mid-table finish and trophyless season.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patreon
Oct 12, 2022
Looks like he needed a ‘stepping stone’ club in the EPL before he got his big move to Liverpool.

I genuinely believe he’d be banging them in regularly for Liverpool if they’d purchased him from us instead of Benfica. He is having to learn to swim in the deep end and is really struggling.

I still think he’ll come good but not before he has helped secure Liverpool a mid-table finish and trophyless season.

Yeah, but we can’t really afford another player who’s really good at “almost” scoring.

If we’re only going to be allowed one season with our scouted players before they’re hoovered up by concentrated wealth, we need players who aren’t going to need a season to adjust.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I thought he looked quite dangerous in his cameo and I was very pleased to see him not start :shrug:

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Agree that he needed a move to a 'stepping stone' club or another season or two with Benfica before making a big move. No fault of his own but the weight of expectation on him, especially when being directly compared with Haaland, was always going to be too much.

I think he will come good eventually.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
Looks like we dodged a bullet on this one. It's a funny old game.
The thing is, signing for us wouldn't have been the same as signing for them, so it's impossible to say what the outcome would have been.

His mindset would be different coming to us - still something to prove rather than swagger into a big 6 club with a huge weight on his shoulders.
He'd be playing in a different team, in a different system, for a different manager, with different expectations on him and the team as a whole.

We' d have managed his integration differently.

If Chelsea had got to Cucurella ahead of us last year and we saw him playing not particularly well for them as he has done so far, it would be easy to think we'd dodged a bullet there too, yet he was fantastic for us.

There are so many moving parts to football teams and clubs, that it's very difficult to say how a particular player will perform in a different team / for a different manager / within a different club environment / at a different time with certainty. Uncle Tony's big bag of data and smart algorithms do seem to be helping us in that regard though.

It's definitely a little on the simplistic side to think Nunez would have been a flop for us just because he hasn't pulled up any trees at Liverpool yet. I don't even think he's been that bad so far, personally, but that's irrelevant to the point I'm trying to make.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
The thing is, signing for us wouldn't have been the same as signing for them, so it's impossible to say what the outcome would have been.

His mindset would be different coming to us - still something to prove rather than swagger into a big 6 club with a huge weight on his shoulders.
He'd be playing in a different team, in a different system, for a different manager, with different expectations on him and the team as a whole.

We' d have managed his integration differently.

If Chelsea had got to Cucurella ahead of us last year and we saw him playing not particularly well for them as he has done so far, it would be easy to think we'd dodged a bullet there too, yet he was fantastic for us.

There are so many moving parts to football teams and clubs, that it's very difficult to say how a particular player will perform in a different team / for a different manager / within a different club environment / at a different time with certainty. Uncle Tony's big bag of data and smart algorithms do seem to be helping us in that regard though.

It's definitely a little on the simplistic side to think Nunez would have been a flop for us just because he hasn't pulled up any trees at Liverpool yet. I don't even think he's been that bad so far, personally, but that's irrelevant to the point I'm trying to make.
Rumours circulating this afternoon that Chelsea want to loan Cucu out!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here