JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Cahill - BOOM!

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
On Tapatalk so will actually add to the poll later but my top three would be;

1) Cahill - first touch off of a long l, swirling, cross. Incredible.
2) Rodriguez (volley) - Also incredible but he did have he chance to tee himself up for it.
3) Gotze - I think this has been overlooked so far, great control and finish.

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
If it was for explosive volleys then Cahill has it, but for pure delight Van Persie's diving header takes the biscuit. Cahill's effort could easily have ballooned into the crowd, but how often have we seen a top notch goalkeeper lobbed by a diving header!!!

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Either Cahill or Rodriguez volley....Rodriguez just about beats it, but there's so little to choose between the two.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
James Rodriguez.

The fact that Cahill's was 'wrong foot' is irrelevant. He (and everyone else) is a professional footballer who should be able to kick with both feet. That said, his was a great goal.

James was further out with a defence between him and the goal, having controlled it with his back to goal. Magnificent.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
James Rodriguez... the other one. Lovely passes before hand, does the same defender twice, then a delightful chip over the keeper.

The volley is better than the chip if we're just looking at the finish alone, but it's beautiful even before the final touch.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I've gone Cahill. A 61mph volley in off the bar as the ball drops over his shoulder is a pretty special strike, but with his weaker foot? Woof.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Voted Rodriguez by accident!

I think it should be Cahill just because I think it's a lot harder to hit a high ball coming over your shoulder and finish like that than it is to control with your chest and swivel.

SeeGoals

Bloom’n Marvellous
Jan 22, 2009
Horsham by the sea
Goal 8:

Purely as it was the Goal that won the World Cup:

[video]https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/CE015D81721100218507079401472_ 247224c3c87.1.0.21753609003246 82864.mp4?versionId=6E7HOUYUb0 Zo9W0jAFwbRf_.KnNZZ.t0[/video]

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
1, 5, 2 in that order.
Let me try and make the case for 1 over 5:
1 was a first-touch diving header at the edge of the penalty area that chipped the goalkeeper, from a 50/60-yard pass.
5 was a chest-down, and awesome volleyed strike from c25 yards.
There are a few goals comparable to 5, none are comparable to 1.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Come on man. I expected better from you. Cahill is the one, on the run over his shoulder, out of the sun with his swinger.

A good goal, but I saw Mark Barham score one similar at the North end of the Goldstone.

Thats how I measure the quality of a goal, on whether Mark Barham could pull it off. If he could then its a very good goal, if he couldn't then its a worldy.

So to sum up, I have seen the magician Barham swing his foot through a deep cross and bury it in the net (with the floodlights in his eyes )

I've not seen the legend that is Mark Barham take it on his chest with his back to goal, turn the ball towards the goal of his chest, then manage to get his knee over it in one move and bury it in to the roof of the net all before the surrounding defenders even knew what was happening.

Its 5 dear boy, all day long. :goal:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Let me try and make the case for 1 over 5:
1 was a first-touch diving header at the edge of the penalty area that chipped the goalkeeper, from a 50/60-yard pass.
5 was a chest-down, and awesome volleyed strike from c25 yards.
There are a few goals comparable to 5, none are comparable to 1.

I don't think I've ever seen a goal quite like Van Persie's. As good as Cahill's and Rodriguez's were, there have been and will be a number of strikes similar to them. That's why I'v got to vote for RVP's extraordinary effort.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I don't think I've ever seen a goal quite like Van Persie's. As good as Cahill's and Rodriguez's were, there have been and will be a number of strikes similar to them. That's why I'v got to vote for RVP's extraordinary effort.

For: The diving header is a lost art

Against: it was a header

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports