Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] NSC meltdown [downtime] incoming...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I probably could, but I don't. As you say there is very, very limited PII held on NSC about anyone, and what there is they have provided themselves, and have the power to edit/remove themselves.

If people ask for their accounts AND their posts to be deleted, I'm happy to do that.

Well, I say "happy" but to be frank, it's a complete pain in the arse to do - time-consuming and fiddly.

It's really interesting how, in days gone by, people would just drift away if they'd had enough for any reason. I've now had more "delete all my posts" requests in the last six months than in the preceding 20 years or so.

Don't do it if it's a pain in the arse [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION].

We have all had a great time taking up your kind offer of what over the years has amounted to huge amounts of yours (and your team's) significant time, effort, pain, and frustration (sorry :wink:), which you have hosted for free for huge numbers of us to chat, rant, take the piss, ask for help, joke, bump into old friends, argue, make up and occasionally talk about the Albion, all with absolutely no requirement on the posters to contribute a single thing or help in any way.

I can understand people drifting away, coming back, having flounces (temporary and permanent) but after years of being kindly hosted completely free of any obligation by yourself, to then ask you to jump through hoops and spend time removing all trace of them is I feel, putting it politely, 'a little ungracious'.

So, if you can do the minimum to remove any PII data, I really think that having to do anything beyond that is asking a little much by someone who has taken advantage and enjoyed your hosting, often for many years :thumbsup:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
right of erasure is one of the more problematic parts of GDPR. they obviously didnt think about public (or private) forums where people volunteer data, thinking only in terms of organisations collecting and keeping data. its doesnt seem likely to apply unless its specific PII, not simply posts by a person they no longer wish to be public. an opinion or view is not PII, i cannot identify the person based on it.

either way, the right is to have a request considered and there are some exceptions or conditions apply. from ICO webpage

"When does the right to erasure apply?
Individuals have the right to have their personal data erased if:

the personal data is no longer necessary for the purpose which you originally collected or processed it for;
[...]
When does the right to erasure not apply?
The right to erasure does not apply if processing is necessary for one of the following reasons:

to exercise the right of freedom of expression and information;"

so could be said the data (assuming its personal) is still necessary for the flow of a conversation. GDPR has been applied to remove people from search results, but the original articles not removed from newspapers.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
right of erasure is one of the more problematic parts of GDPR...When does the right to erasure apply?

Good question. On balance I would probably say oooh, sometimes, the truth is harder than the pain inside; oooh, sometimes it's the broken heart that decides.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I probably could, but I don't. As you say there is very, very limited PII held on NSC about anyone, and what there is they have provided themselves, and have the power to edit/remove themselves.

If people ask for their accounts AND their posts to be deleted, I'm happy to do that.

Well, I say "happy" but to be frank, it's a complete pain in the arse to do - time-consuming and fiddly.

It's really interesting how, in days gone by, people would just drift away if they'd had enough for any reason. I've now had more "delete all my posts" requests in the last six months than in the preceding 20 years or so.

Xenforo should, in theory, have it properly built in for you - if they've done their job right, it should be a one-button job. Might even be something you can put in the hands of members themselves. Half your problem with GDPR is vB 4.x.x is so old the tools for handling it are no where near being suitable.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
right of erasure is one of the more problematic parts of GDPR. they obviously didnt think about public (or private) forums where people volunteer data, thinking only in terms of organisations collecting and keeping data. its doesnt seem likely to apply unless its specific PII, not simply posts by a person they no longer wish to be public. an opinion or view is not PII, i cannot identify the person based on it.

either way, the right is to have a request considered and there are some exceptions or conditions apply. from ICO webpage

"When does the right to erasure apply?
Individuals have the right to have their personal data erased if:

the personal data is no longer necessary for the purpose which you originally collected or processed it for;
[...]
When does the right to erasure not apply?
The right to erasure does not apply if processing is necessary for one of the following reasons:

to exercise the right of freedom of expression and information;"

so could be said the data (assuming its personal) is still necessary for the flow of a conversation. GDPR has been applied to remove people from search results, but the original articles not removed from newspapers.

Another problem with it is that the interpretation has been evolving since the legislation was originally passed, and the ICO has some latitude to make it stricter / less strict. For eg the definitions of what does and does not count as PII has shifted a little since 2019 when the laws first came in.

I've got some work (as a Product Manager) on the near horizon relating to GDPR and Data Retention / Right to Erasure that I'm really looking forward to. *ahem*

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
- The migration to Xenforo is not likely to take place before the last week of August. Ideally I wanted it done before the season started, but that's not looking likely now, primarily because my concern at having my holiday interrupted helping hundreds of people needing help to get logged into their accounts on the new software because they've forgotten the email address and/or the password they use on NSC!

It's going to happen on transfer deadline day, isn't it? Would probably help me focus on work...

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It looks exactly the same.

Nothing happened did it.

Bozza OUT :flounce:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I still have a reputation comment in notifications that can be neither seen nor removed.

#BarberOut

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Weird - got the 'new' NSC working on my phone but the laptop keeps showing the step from Cloudflare to NSC not working. Yes I've rebooted and not keen to clear my cookies - any ideas [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I’m using my IPad in Safari to report that I’m getting an Error 520 on Chrome on my pc whilst trying to log in.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Weird - got the 'new' NSC working on my phone but the laptop keeps showing the step from Cloudflare to NSC not working. Yes I've rebooted and not keen to clear my cookies - any ideas [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] ?

I’m using my IPad in Safari to report that I’m getting an Error 520 on Chrome on my pc whilst trying to log in.

Me as well (on Chromebook)

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It must be Chrome because I'm now using Edge on my pc. [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]

I don't think it Chrome - I'm using edge on the laptop and still have the problem. It might be to do with cookies but I'm loathed to clear then as it would end some auto logins and auto fills. I could to through and delete all NSC ones manually but I have more entertaining things to do with my time !

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I don't think it Chrome - I'm using edge on the laptop and still have the problem. It might be to do with cookies but I'm loathed to clear then as it would end some auto logins and auto fills. I could to through and delete all NSC ones manually but I have more entertaining things to do with my time !

I did just the NSC ones recently (because they weren't remembering what I'd read / not read properly) and it took less than a minute.

But having said that: I've not had any issues either during or after the maintenance. Didn't even need to log back in.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I've just managed to delete the Nsc cookies, having already deleted History. I'm now back in, in Chrome.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here