Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC has been a great source of info & chat for many years but has now lost all...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yes - just read through the other thread as it happens....I still tend to skim ove the stickies these days for whatever reason...odd that they are "stickies" yet I tend to ignore them....anyhow - yes I understand and I agree with you, it should be a consensus view. I was just wondering if the stats on how many times someone has had a report posted or has been requested that they are banned might form part of that creation of a consensus if you see what I mean?

I think so. You mean, if 100 people report it, and one of them says they want the user permanently banned, maybe he gets a warning, but if 95 of the hundred people reporting the post also say 'ban him' it should sway the mod to act accordingly?

I think the problem is that some people will get banned for a first offence that is maybe simply a misjudged joke. You also then have to judge how many people didn't report the post because they saw it and were ok with it. With over 7 thousand 'active users' how many of them didn't report that post because they weren't offended? You could look at a thread's view count, but that would be misleading because it would include all the views before that post was thread, one person may have read the thread 20 times or more, so that number isn't helpful. How many users would have been ok with it if they saw it? Would mods have the time to dedicate to tallying up the number of reports and votes for particular punishments? If we allow mods to ignore the voting and show some discretion when it's a first offence or it appears the reaction to the infringement seems disproportionate, why bother with the voting system because the mods have to make a judgement call anyway?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Even the very worst posts on NSC only get reported 4 or 5 times at the very most.

I think most believe others have done it so don't bother.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I'm glad you put a question mark on the end of that, as I can answer:

No.

NSC has got busier but not by the same magnitude as moving from an average crowd of 7,000 - 20,000. Thus, NSC was more representative of Albion fans in seasons gone by than it is today.

From what I have read, post Falmer, the mood has changed on here. Lots of negatively, fans forgetting our recent past, wanting instant success. That's not the NSC of recent years ? Is it the newbies changing the demographic of the forum I don't know ? For me NSC is how I keep in touch with all that is BHA, positive or negative, I love the banter, the wind ups, the comaradarary (sp). Long may it continue !

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Quality comes and goes. there do seem to alot of recent posters who post alot and several former posters appear to have left/ceased/foud something else to do with their lives. It may be connected with success - when BHA was rubbish, the post quality overall seemed to be better because people were desperate that BHA avoided calamity - or at least relegation (although there was also an awful lot of unneccesarily abusive dross). Recently it seems that posters have become complacent and are whinging because we don't win every game 15 nil (like what we (never) used to)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think I've only ever reported spam and what I consider abuse of the atc area (i.e. asking a question that has been asked and answered and is just two threads below, rants instead of questions).

s e boy1968

Nov 9, 2010
I guess as I started the discussion maybe I should close it!
Whilst my feelings of NSC at the moment are clear what I probably didn't make clear is that I, like many others, probably don't appreciate the effort, time and expense that has gone in to producing a fantastic 'sounding board' that has evolved over the years.I can only imagine how tough it is to moderate fairly.
To answer some of the points made I'm all for open debate and criticism but some of the stuff on here lately has def been close to abuse.
As a passionate Albion fan (2 Ex wives will testify!) I will never understand how so called Albion fans abusing any player openly will improve our team or their performanaces.
What can Harley be thinking at the moment??!!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Whilst my feelings of NSC at the moment are clear what I probably didn't make clear is that I, like many others, probably don't appreciate the effort, time and expense that has gone in to producing a fantastic 'sounding board' that has evolved over the years.I can only imagine how tough it is to moderate fairly.
rley be thinking at the moment??!!

Firstly I don't think I'm a particularly good moderator, which is why I've drawn in others who I believe are likely to be better than I am. But you're right - moderating is difficult. When people ask me about running NSC, I always draw an analogy with being a football referee...

You want everyone to be playing (posting), you don't want to send anyone off (ban them) and you just want to let the game flow (don't want to warn people/delete posts).

It is largely a thankless task - you get nothing back when you get it right and get a lot of abuse if people think you got it wrong. And you never take a decision that 100% of people agree with.

BHAryan

BHAryan
Feb 8, 2011
Worthing
I agree, im fairly new to NSC as im only 17 but im not a new fan ive been here since 99/2000 and fell in love with the albion but not until now have i ever considered brighton fans to be deluded and so critical (obviously this is a small proportion)

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
What always ceases to amaze me when this subject comes up, is why do people stay on a thread that they either don't like, or think is crap? most days I open up a thread and think, this is not for me and move on, why does'nt everyone do that rather than sit there going through stuff that they have no interest in, freedom of choice, and I won't accept that the odd thread prevents the good ones happening, also many times a thread I think is crap ends up being 5 pages + if not many more, so they can't all be tha bad.

As for opposition supporters, if you don't like what they put, DON'T RESPOND!!! simples......it is all the reaction they get that gets the threads up and running, if they were ignored, they will disapear VERY quickly, either that or some twonk ends up talking to himself!!

words of wisdom indeed, blocking posters works wonders as well.....

Sep 1, 2011
Credibility.
I have loved NSC over the years along with a close group of season ticket holders that have been home and away for close on 25 years each.
Never posted that often but spent many a winter night reading well constructed and more of often and not humorous posts.
Well not anymore, where did all the c*cks on this site appear from in the last couple of years?
Does anyone really believe that slaughtering any Albion player on an open forum that they can read will help team spirit or perfomances??
I don't often agree with Andy Naylor but he is spot on when he talks about the idiots on this forum.

How can you come up with a post like that when you have posted 3 times since 2010, were you talking to yourself over these years?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
words of wisdom indeed, blocking posters works wonders as well.....

Sometimes wind up accounts can be good fun though, we block posters as a last resort. One of the reasons I am opposed to making NSC hostile to opposing fans is that diversity makes you less insular.

As for people who post homophobic or racist material, we will act if we feel it is offensive, but even within mod towers (when we're not looking at the secret webcams that Bozza has installed on each of the Daft Bints PC's) there is debate over where the line lies between banter and abuse.

I appreciate that the Palace BBS takes an alternative approach, but if you look on that message board, it is crap compared to NSC.

If you genuinely can't cope with a Palace fan giving it "We scored three, they scored one, Brighton take it up the bum" you really need professional help, and I really don't think you should attend the match on 31st January, because I suspect it might be sung a few times (although if you are a STH and can get an away ticket then I'll happily take it off your hands).

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Good, so the P*l*ce fans won't be banned? How can ANYONE be annoyed/offended by something said by fans of a club hurtling downhill into oblivion? Man up Albion, this is pathetic.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Sometimes wind up accounts can be good fun though, we block posters as a last resort. One of the reasons I am opposed to making NSC hostile to opposing fans is that diversity makes you less insular.

As for people who post homophobic or racist material, we will act if we feel it is offensive, but even within mod towers (when we're not looking at the secret webcams that Bozza has installed on each of the Daft Bints PC's) there is debate over where the line lies between banter and abuse.

I appreciate that the Palace BBS takes an alternative approach, but if you look on that message board, it is crap compared to NSC.

If you genuinely can't cope with a Palace fan giving it "We scored three, they scored one, Brighton take it up the bum" you really need professional help, and I really don't think you should attend the match on 31st January, because I suspect it might be sung a few times (although if you are a STH and can get an away ticket then I'll happily take it off your hands).

Sorry, wasn't clear there, what I mean't was that I can personally block a poster so I don't see what they post anymore. This works for me fine, that is all....

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
What always ceases to amaze me when this subject comes up, is why do people stay on a thread that they either don't like, or think is crap? most days I open up a thread and think, this is not for me and move on, why does'nt everyone do that rather than sit there going through stuff that they have no interest in, freedom of choice, and I won't accept that the odd thread prevents the good ones happening, also many times a thread I think is crap ends up being 5 pages + if not many more, so they can't all be tha bad.

As for opposition supporters, if you don't like what they put, DON'T RESPOND!!! simples......it is all the reaction they get that gets the threads up and running, if they were ignored, they will disapear VERY quickly, either that or some twonk ends up talking to himself!!

I agree with you to a degree but it is becoming harder and harder to find the quality posts, certain idiots both home and away fans dominate potentially interesting threads turning them into utter garbage. The amount of negativity and player crucifying is really getting on my nerves and the constant whinging and moaning (yes I am getting my two penneth worth) is dull, dull, dull and since the beginning of the season it has exploded. maybe it is is time for a 'members' lounge where only certain members can post but everyone can read, sounds elitist but I believe it would maintain the quality of interaction and eliminate the puerile input (well most of it anyway)
from the wums

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I agree with you to a degree but it is becoming harder and harder to find the quality posts, certain idiots both home and away fans dominate potentially interesting threads turning them into utter garbage. The amount of negativity and player crucifying is really getting on my nerves and the constant whinging and moaning (yes I am getting my two penneth worth) is dull, dull, dull and since the beginning of the season it has exploded. maybe it is is time for a 'members' lounge where only certain members can post but everyone can read, sounds elitist but I believe it would maintain the quality of interaction and eliminate the puerile input (well most of it anyway)
from the wums

I think if we introduced what you say, it would spark a riot! Who decides who is allowed to post in the "Members Lounge"? Because it won't be me :)

I have to be honest, since this discussion has started I have started to look at a number of other message boards, and whilst I am bound to be accused of being Bias, NSC is by far the better of them, and the moaning and such like, from what I can see is prevalent to all message boards.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Good, so the P*l*ce fans won't be banned? How can ANYONE be annoyed/offended by something said by fans of a club hurtling downhill into oblivion? Man up Albion, this is pathetic.

I'd say that based on this season's performance so far-they don't resemble a club hurtling downhill into oblivion.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
"Members' Lounge" is an interesting concept, as it aligns with something I'd given thought to. NSC is a great wealth of information and, as [MENTION=205]Tom Hark Preston Park[/MENTION] regularly says, should be a great source of feedback for the club. However, and I think it's largely due to the signal to noise ratio on the site, there is a lot of skepticism within the club about NSC. If there was a way for NSCers, should they wish, to verify their identity (eg Albion fan number) then I think there could be some improvement.

(This is all thinking out loud before anyone jumps on what I'm writing)

- there could be a dedicated sub-forum for those that have verified their identity.
- ATC could be restricted to those who have verified themselves.
- Their NSC user ID (that bit over to the left next to each of your posts) could carry something to show you have verified your ID.

I wouldn't see the ID being exposed to others in any way, shape or form but I think the fact that someone was willing to step beyond the usual semi-anonymity that the internet offers, then their contributions are likely to be higher quality and, for those with limited time/patience, should be the ones to focus reading on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here