Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Offers] NSC Fitness Thread

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
On my estate someone would have popped your head for you!

Serious point: most folk who take a Sports Science degree have a sporty background, often to a high level. What was your sport? Do you still compete? That's a great way to drop the pounds alongside the diet.

I boxed quite a bit and played football. Honestly, a lot of those who joined the course because they thought it was all about sport tended to drop out early and find something else. Once we started getting deep into biochemistry and cellular stuff, research design, study of kinesiology.... plenty realised it wasn't for them (myself included to an extent).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's back!

My 2021 aims are pretty basic ones:

- to beat 2020's average steps per day (20,794). I made a good start in January with 22,497/day.
- run every day. I just completed my year's run streak but as that started on 31st January, I didn't complete a calendar year which slightly annoys me.

I'd like to record some better times over the main running distances, but I made such great progress last year, I'm not sure how much improvement I have left, particularly as I turn 50 this year. At some point the running improvement I make will be cancelled out by age-related degradation, I assume.

I've started the year dry and also tried to kick the habit of late-night snacking, although those two things are often related. I weigh myself on Monday mornings only, and I only lost 2.5lbs between January 4th and February 1st. I'm not looking to lose weight particularly, but I would have thought more would have dropped off with those changes. I have developed a sweet tooth though and that won't be helping.

I was very probably my lightest adult weight mid-December - I'm currently 2.5lbs above that so I'd like to think I could reach or better that given my current non-piggish ways!

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I mentioned this in my earlier post but can I just say diet wise if anyone is struggling, I can’t recommend intermittent fasting enough, I’ve tried so many diets down the years and to be honest I always find myself having a late night snack or cheating myself.

I do 18/6 (some do 16/8) so most days I don’t eat till 1/2 and stop eating at 7/8 in the evening, some days I even extend my fasting if I don’t feel hungry which is happening more and more now my body is used to it, it really does give you great structure and stops my bad habits of late night snacks, in addition to that you have far more flexibility on what you can eat in your eating window, I’ve never felt so energised, it’s really remarkable the way it’s changed my mindset.

It won’t work for everyone so I can say it’s fail safe but for me it’s worked better than any diet I’ve ever done, by a long distance, not just in the weight lost but in the way once your body is adapted, you feel so much more energised and alive.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
i am overweight but not grossly . My main problem is that all my flab sits on my stomach whilst my arms, legs and upper torso are relatively thin. When i lose weight it goes off my arms, legs and upper torso faster than it goes from my stomach. I do various exercises (xtrainer, bike, weights) and try to be sensible what i eat. So any top tips to address the midriff other than corset....

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's back!

My 2021 aims are pretty basic ones:

- to beat 2020's average steps per day (20,794). I made a good start in January with 22,497/day.
- run every day. I just completed my year's run streak but as that started on 31st January, I didn't complete a calendar year which slightly annoys me.

I'd like to record some better times over the main running distances, but I made such great progress last year, I'm not sure how much improvement I have left, particularly as I turn 50 this year. At some point the running improvement I make will be cancelled out by age-related degradation, I assume.

I've started the year dry and also tried to kick the habit of late-night snacking, although those two things are often related. I weigh myself on Monday mornings only, and I only lost 2.5lbs between January 4th and February 1st. I'm not looking to lose weight particularly, but I would have thought more would have dropped off with those changes. I have developed a sweet tooth though and that won't be helping.

I was very probably my lightest adult weight mid-December - I'm currently 2.5lbs above that so I'd like to think I could reach or better that given my current non-piggish ways!

Evening snacking is lethal for me, whether it be sweet food or a large bowl of cereal. Completely unneccessary. I've cut back and reduced carbs in general, aspirng to lose 20lbs.

I only recently spotted the weight loss graph you posted in this thread last year for Mellotron and yourself, that's an amazing effort. My starting point high weight is less than that and I'm 6'1", so 20lbs will do it for me. Your success is an encouragement.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
i am overweight but not grossly . My main problem is that all my flab sits on my stomach whilst my arms, legs and upper torso are relatively thin. When i lose weight it goes off my arms, legs and upper torso faster than it goes from my stomach. I do various exercises (xtrainer, bike, weights) and try to be sensible what i eat. So any top tips to address the midriff other than corset....

Suggestions - getting out on the road biking including hills, heavily reducing sugar (including booze), fat and carbs, increasing protein, and ab exercises.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Similar to [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] my 2021 aims are pretty basic:
- Improve on last years exercise totals
- Lose (or should I say loose) some weight round the middle

From what I tracked in 2020 I managed 160k running, 120k cycling and just 10k rowing due to no gym visits after 1st lockdown. If I can up all those totals I'll be happy. Am looking for a rower at the moment to up that last one but with limited stock probably won't be able to start until April at this rate.

From a weight perspective we've reduced carb intake in the evening and have certainly been drinking less, so hopefully that'll help.

From a motivation point of view its very easy not to exercise especially when 'stuck' working from home...but its just about remembering how good you feel when you do exercise that helps to make the effort to do it.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

The saying I always hear is that the first place you built up fat is the last place that will begin shifting, I’m not sure if that’s scientifically true but I have the same problem, I naturally have quite big hips for a male and so I get the love handle problem, they are gradually reducing as I lose weight but nowhere near the rate of other areas of my body, which is frustrating when you look at your results in the mirror.

For many its genetics and you CAN get rid of that fat it just takes a hell of a lot more effort that it does for other people. My best tips for stomach fat based on myself are squats, dead lifts, keep your protein intake as high as you possibly can and of course, a whole heap of the dreaded cardio. Oh and lots of planking and side planks.

Also a case of practice what you preach for me as I’ve had issues before with my diet but when it comes to shifting stomach fat, diet is very important, if you’re doing lots of exercise and then going home and pigging out because of that post workout munch, you’re probably undoing your good work. I speak through experience as I was always guilty of that, I’d go on an hour workout and then go home and eat the entire contents of the fridge :lolol:

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
In simply terms, eat less, move more!

Don't force yourself onto an unsustainable 'diet', instead make healthy choices and eat healthy foods! Think of this as a lifestyle change!

Too many diets are boring, unachievable and unsustainable.

If you have a bad day on the food front, so be it, you can't change it but you can affect tomorrow, so just start again, don't beat yourself up. Tracking calories, like it or not works and the simple science behind weight loss is to create a calorie deficit!

By all means, run, ride, row, gym, walk! I am a huge advocate of fitness but 90% or more of weight loss is achieved by what you eat.

So many people who want to lose weight claim to not over eat but if they tracked their calories for just a few days, they would be surprised!!

Finally, set realistic and achievable goals - short, medium and long term.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So many people who want to lose weight claim to not over eat but if they tracked their calories for just a few days, they would be surprised!!

I've used the MyFitnessPal before when losing weight and found it really useful for calorie counting and sticking to a daily calorie total. You can "build" meals so if you have the same breakfast every day, it's really quick to record your intake once you've got going - you don't need to add a slice of bread/toast, a scraping of spread, a scraping of Marmite, a mug of tea with 15ml of semi-skimmed milk individually one by one.

For my particular mindset, I also quite liked the gamification of "I can have X, or I can have Y and Z. Or actually, I can have Y, A and B".

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Don't force yourself onto an unsustainable 'diet', instead make healthy choices and eat healthy foods! Think of this as a lifestyle change!

If you have a bad day on the food front, so be it, you can't change it but you can affect tomorrow, so just start again, don't beat yourself up. Tracking calories, like it or not works and the simple science behind weight loss is to create a calorie deficit!

By all means, run, ride, row, gym, walk! I am a huge advocate of fitness but 90% or more of weight loss is achieved by what you eat.

Good luck

I agree that food intake is the main driver to lose weight. Necessarily some 'discomfort' is required where the calorific equation has to shift to output is greater than input during the campaign. Having to go through the pain of that hungry feeling when you're use to always quelling that by eating. Drinking a lot more water for example, can help reduce that empty feeling.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

Good luck

The saying I always hear is that the first place you built up fat is the last place that will begin shifting, I’m not sure if that’s scientifically true but I have the same problem, I naturally have quite big hips for a male and so I get the love handle problem, they are gradually reducing as I lose weight but nowhere near the rate of other areas of my body, which is frustrating when you look at your results in the mirror.

For many its genetics and you CAN get rid of that fat it just takes a hell of a lot more effort that it does for other people. My best tips for stomach fat based on myself are squats, dead lifts, keep your protein intake as high as you possibly can and of course, a whole heap of the dreaded cardio. Oh and lots of planking and side planks.

Also a case of practice what you preach for me as I’ve had issues before with my diet but when it comes to shifting stomach fat, diet is very important, if you’re doing lots of exercise and then going home and pigging out because of that post workout munch, you’re probably undoing your good work. I speak through experience as I was always guilty of that, I’d go on an hour workout and then go home and eat the entire contents of the fridge :lolol:

Suggestions - getting out on the road biking including hills, heavily reducing sugar (including booze), fat and carbs, increasing protein, and ab exercises.

Thanks for the responses. It's my belly i need to focus on as my legs and arms are 'skinny' and they just get skinnier when i loose weight. Interesting comment about genetics as I am pretty much the same shape as my dad. Certainly I have found the best way of losing weight is to keep track of calories so recording it certainly makes me think twice about eating , this is aided and abetted by some food scales so the amounts get logged more accurately.

Two key areas I take from these comments are whether I should do more exercises focussed on the stomach and increase the amount of protein i take at the expense of carbs. At the moment trying to keep to around 1500 calories a day and increase my activity. The more demanding cardio is probably not possible as i have a lung condition which is not too good for a lot of exercise also at 64 the body generally finds things difficult. If i can get to 80kg (5 kg less) then I will be very pleased that will take me (just) into the healthy weight for my height (5/11) . But as said before i need it to go from my stomach.....

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
I agree that food intake is the main driver to lose weight. Necessarily some 'discomfort' is required where the calorific equation has to shift to output is greater than input during the campaign. Having to go through the pain of that hungry feeling when you're use to always quelling that by eating. Drinking a lot more water for example, can help reduce that empty feeling.
Also, splitting your daily calorie intake into 5 or 6 smaller meals can help! Who says we have to eat just 3 main meals?!!

The main thing also is to find the right balance and not feel hungry all the time! Find that healthy snack!!

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
I've used the MyFitnessPal before when losing weight and found it really useful for calorie counting and sticking to a daily calorie total. You can "build" meals so if you have the same breakfast every day, it's really quick to record your intake once you've got going - you don't need to add a slice of bread/toast, a scraping of spread, a scraping of Marmite, a mug of tea with 15ml of semi-skimmed milk individually one by one.

For my particular mindset, I also quite liked the gamification of "I can have X, or I can have Y and Z. Or actually, I can have Y, A and B".
Myfitnesspal is a great tool! Often, those who fight the use of a calculator are those who aren't quite ready for the weightless journey and are still in denial as to how much they actually eat!

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
How’s everyone doing? I am now 3 and half stone down from my starting point, currently at 13’11 which is still fairly high for my height (5’11 and a half :lolol: ) still running 6/7k 6 days per week down at the velodrome, have a minor lower right abdominal injury that is playing me up but it’s only a minor thing so I’m not letting it put me out of action even though I know I should probably have a rest and let it heal up.

Intermittent fasting is without doubt the best decision I’ve ever made in my life diet wise, totally life changing for me.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
How’s everyone doing? I am now 3 and half stone down from my starting point, currently at 13’11 which is still fairly high for my height (5’11 and a half :lolol: ) still running 6/7k 6 days per week down at the velodrome, have a minor lower right abdominal injury that is playing me up but it’s only a minor thing so I’m not letting it put me out of action even though I know I should probably have a rest and let it heal up.

Intermittent fasting is without doubt the best decision I’ve ever made in my life diet wise, totally life changing for me.

That's really good to see. You are clearly using a twin track approach of diet and exercise with a 6 day a week running routine. You've not chosen the 'easiest' track (assuming it's the Preston Park one) either, although I'm sure you've got good reasons for it. A few years ago I was one of 50 nutters who ran a full marathon around it. 4hours 52 minutes later and with only about 5 other nutters still behind me and with hamstrings like piano wire, I rather regretted the decision. So well done for sticking at it.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
That's really good to see. You are clearly using a twin track approach of diet and exercise with a 6 day a week running routine. You've not chosen the 'easiest' track (assuming it's the Preston Park one) either, although I'm sure you've got good reasons for it. A few years ago I was one of 50 nutters who ran a full marathon around it. 4hours 52 minutes later and with only about 5 other nutters still behind me and with hamstrings like piano wire, I rather regretted the decision. So well done for sticking at it.

Yes, it’s local I only live literally 2 minutes away, at first it was pretty brutal on my shins but my body has got used to it now, I do wonder if the slight incline is what could be causing my lower stomach issue, feels like a small tear that hurts more when I tense, but it’s nothing major and providing it doesn’t get worse it won’t be stopping me.

To be honest before I started fasting I never had the get up and go or energy to get out and exercise every day, but weirdly I find myself having more energy now even in a fasted state than if I was eating crap tons of food, I guess the human body just adjusts to it.

Hoping everyone else is keeping on track, as there had been no posts in a month I wonder if there’s been a few relapses :lolol:

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I have been enjoying more walks now the weather is lovely. I had my first vaccine jab earlier today at the Brighton Centre and they suggested I take it easy today, just a precaution as I felt a bit woozy after. I took that to mean I should enjoy a few days with my feet up and watching TV but then at the weekend get back out for a nice walk. I actually walked around the Velodrome over the weekend. It was good seeing so many people training there, all nicely spaced of course. Preston Park itself was a bit more chaotic but it's my favourite park in the City. I have tried to avoid walking around the parks generally, in favour of less well known spots.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Yes, it’s local I only live literally 2 minutes away, at first it was pretty brutal on my shins but my body has got used to it now, I do wonder if the slight incline is what could be causing my lower stomach issue, feels like a small tear that hurts more when I tense, but it’s nothing major and providing it doesn’t get worse it won’t be stopping me.

To be honest before I started fasting I never had the get up and go or energy to get out and exercise every day, but weirdly I find myself having more energy now even in a fasted state than if I was eating crap tons of food, I guess the human body just adjusts to it.

Hoping everyone else is keeping on track, as there had been no posts in a month I wonder if there’s been a few relapses :lolol:

If you are pounding around it 6 evenings a week and doing 6/7kms then that's just about a marathon. That's quite punishing on what I found to be a rather eccentric track. I'd be tempted to recommend that you switch to running around the PP Parkrun route which is much more runner friendly.,,,and still just a short walk away. Keep up the good work!

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea

I remember when this thread was first posted last year, I'd just gone back to work after being signed off with anxiety due to the pandemic. I thought I must get back into excersise as it is so good for the mind. I wish I did it then.

But, 2 weeks ago I finally started. Small but steady. I am going running at 6am most mornings and already seeing improvements, the first run I couldn't get round the block without stopping 2 or 3 times. Only two weeks later I'm already going further, albeit not far really, but not stopping and getting so out of breath.

I also got some resistance bands and have been working different muscle groups each night, which I'm really getting into. I've also just started intermittent fasting, I use an app called fastoc and do 16:8 and have limited calories to under 1800 a day. I have found this a huge help, especially in not wanting to go to Greggs on my way to work most mornings, 2 weeks in and my huge appetite in the morning has gone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here