Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Easter Bunny CD 2015

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ummm. Terrific review and that. Especially the 'determined to listen all the way through' bit. Loving the updates on your 'psychological state'.

Now put the cd into your player and actually listen to it.

(If you pop open the back part of the jewel case, and remove that track list, you'll reveal the real one, btw...)

:wave:

Oh wow. Haha. I did wonder if it might be something like this. As mentioned, I chose to look up each song on YouTube and review then while watching the videos. So I did listen all the way through, and watch. All that for nothing! Haha.

Still, happy now. ACTUAL review on the way then...exciting...

Still no closer to figuring out who the bunny is though...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Oh wow. Haha. I did wonder if it might be something like this. As mentioned, I chose to look up each song on YouTube and review then while watching the videos. So I did listen all the way through, and watch. All that for nothing! Haha.

Still, happy now. ACTUAL review on the way then...exciting...

Still no closer to figuring out who the bunny is though...

Haha. You were only supposed to be gutted UNTIL you listened. Hilarious that you actually sought out that crap to listen to! Big laughs.

As for recognising the 'Albion' stars on the cover - they are all of those featured on the fake list - in track list order.

Make sure you put up your free POSTER somewhere nice.

Hope the real track list is to your taste :dunce:

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
3. Salt'n'Pepa - Push It - Sort of a classic of it's genre. Not a bad song.

i think this is a great song - and have the 12" to prove it. As we all know, 1986 was an amazing year for music. Outside of the indie realm, we also got Word Up and Kiss. Great times.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Ahem. I REALLY thought I'd already posted my review, but clearly my mind is playing nasty tricks on me. Well, no sense in crying over it, best just get on with it:

1) GALVESTON (GLEN CAMPBELL) - A stone-cold country classic to start off with. Glen Campbell has one of my favourite voices to listen to, and I've always enjoyed this song.

2) THE ROAD TO KAINTUCK (JOHNNY CASH) - I've not heard this track before, but you cannot beat a bit of Johnny Cash. Even in a largely spoken-word song like this, he's still brilliant.

3) FATHER TO A SISTER OF THOUGHT (PAVEMENT) - Not a bad tune, but the vocals ruin it for me I'm afraid. I like quite a strong vocal, and this just isn't to my taste.

4) BY THE TIME I GET TO PHOENIX (NICK CAVE & THE BAD SEEDS) - I hadn't heard this version before, and as someone who isn't a Nick Cave fan I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but I have to say I enjoyed it.

5) FALLING FROM CLOUD 9 (LIFT TO EXPERIENCE) - The intro gave me high hopes that I might enjoy this, and I certainly found it very listenable. I could see myself checking out more from this band, who I'd not heard of at all before.

6) EGG MEAT (IVOR CUTLER) - Very strange spoken word piece. Rather hard to review really.

7) WHEEL ON FIRE (HOUNDSTOOTH) - Another new one on me, and not bad at all. Generally I'm not hugely keen on female vocals but it certainly works here.

8) HALAH (MAZZY STAR) - By contrast, this is a female vocal that I didn't enjoy nearly as much. It all seemed very flat and one-paced.

9) SATURDAY (SPARKLEHORSE) - Another decent tune, let down by very flat vocals for me. It starts slowly and just doesn't seem to go anywhere. All a bit of a wander with no particular destination.

10) FACTORY (BAND OF HORSES) - Another fairly mellow track, although with slightly better vocals to my taste. Still not overly memorable though and probably not something I'd listen to again.

11) SEPTEMBER GURLS (BIG STAR) - Quite like this, and another new band to explore. One for the mp3 collection I think.

12) A DREAM OF THE SEA (BONNY BILLY) - Not keen on this at all I'm afraid - never really been a fan of his and this doesn't do anything to change my view.

13) FREAK SCENE (DINOSAUR JR.) - A change of pace and tempo from the previous track, but again not something I'm keen on. Screechy guitars and vocals that I just don't like although I can't put my finger on why. I have to say I found this to be probably the most unlistenable track on the disc.

14) WHITE WINTER HYMNAL (FLEET FOXES) - Something completely different again from the previous track, and oddly listenable. Nice harmonies on the vocals which I do like, and probably a band and song I'd go back to.

15) ROLLIN' HOME ALONE (JASON LYTLE) - Not heard of this guy before, but I was rather enjoying this up until the guitar part in the middle which absolutely killed it for me I'm afraid.

16) HANNAH & GABI (LEMONHEADS) - Yup, I rather enjoyed this one. A bit more uptempo than some of the stuff on here, and more listenable to my taste as a result. There just seemed to be a bit more energy to it.

17) MADDER ROSE (MADDER ROSE) - In contrast, this was another contender for the song on the album I liked the least. I really can't find anything to say that I liked about this, I'm afraid.

18) ROSCOE (MIDLAKE) - Not bad, just a bit...meh. Not really memorable at all.

19) NORTHWEST PASSAGE (PAPA M) - I like a good instrumental piece as much as the next man, but this just did nothing for me at all.

20) AMERICAN GIRL (TOM PETTY & THE HEARTBREAKERS) - Start with a classic, end with a classic. It's a time-honoured recipe and it works perfectly here. Can't go wrong with a bit of Tom Petty. :thumbsup:

Apologies again for the delay here, I could have SWORN I'd reviewed this but clearly not. Overall, not a bad disc at all, and it's given me a few new bands to explore which is the overall point of this whole exercise. I'm not sure who my Bunny is, but I do have a question is when they come forward or are revealed:

I'm sure I'll kick myself rather hard when you tell me, but who are the people on the cover? The guy at the front in the glasses seems particularly familiar, but I just can't QUITE place him. :down:

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
i think this is a great song - and have the 12" to prove it. As we all know, 1986 was an amazing year for music. Outside of the indie realm, we also got Word Up and Kiss. Great times.

It's about time we had a separate 'Guilty Pleasures' thread.
Anyone up for a bit of Swing Out Sister and Breakout?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Ummm. Terrific review and that. Especially the 'determined to listen all the way through' bit. Loving the updates on your 'psychological state'.

Now put the cd into your player and actually listen to it.

(If you pop open the back part of the jewel case, and remove that track list, you'll reveal the real one, btw...)

:wave:

You simply have to take your hat off to behavior like that. The fact he ACTUALLY LISTENED to them on YouTube just makes it better. Well played.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
It's not all about the looks! And I did say guilty. Got a few more to fess up to but saving them for another day.

I can add several hundred to your list. Ah, Boys of Summer!

You simply have to take your hat off to behavior like that. The fact he ACTUALLY LISTENED to them on YouTube just makes it better. Well played.

All that WASTED time....Bonnie Tyler, H from Steps...makes me shudder.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Ok, I am going to send PM's to the people who are yet to send CD's and find out what is going on with the CD's they are meant to be sending.

As far as I can work out this is the current state of play on who has had their CD's etc, those who've not yet reviewed please can they do so as that is half the fun revealing what tracks are on your CD and what you think of them.

Tinycowboy - CD received and reviewed
CorgiRegisteredFriend - CD received and reviewed
Somerset - CD received and reviewed
Staly - CD received and reviewed
Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo - CD received and reviewed
happypig - cd received and reviewed
Frutos - CD received and reviewed

The following have confirmed receipt of their CD but not yet reviewed.

Mellotron - CD received, half reviewed.
MikeySmall - CD received
Gordon Bennett - CD received
willyfantastic - CD received

The following are yet to confirm they have received their CD

Theatre of Trees
catfish - sender has contacted me regarding a PC issue which should be fixed soon and CD will be sent then.
Flex Your Head
hans kraay fan club
JamesAndTheGiantHead
Mowgli37
Pevenseagull
Red Star Portslade
Spring Hall Convert
Stoo82

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
Ahem. I REALLY thought I'd already posted my review, but clearly my mind is playing nasty tricks on me. Well, no sense in crying over it, best just get on with it:

1) GALVESTON (GLEN CAMPBELL) - A stone-cold country classic to start off with. Glen Campbell has one of my favourite voices to listen to, and I've always enjoyed this song.

2) THE ROAD TO KAINTUCK (JOHNNY CASH) - I've not heard this track before, but you cannot beat a bit of Johnny Cash. Even in a largely spoken-word song like this, he's still brilliant.

3) FATHER TO A SISTER OF THOUGHT (PAVEMENT) - Not a bad tune, but the vocals ruin it for me I'm afraid. I like quite a strong vocal, and this just isn't to my taste.

4) BY THE TIME I GET TO PHOENIX (NICK CAVE & THE BAD SEEDS) - I hadn't heard this version before, and as someone who isn't a Nick Cave fan I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but I have to say I enjoyed it.

5) FALLING FROM CLOUD 9 (LIFT TO EXPERIENCE) - The intro gave me high hopes that I might enjoy this, and I certainly found it very listenable. I could see myself checking out more from this band, who I'd not heard of at all before.

6) EGG MEAT (IVOR CUTLER) - Very strange spoken word piece. Rather hard to review really.

7) WHEEL ON FIRE (HOUNDSTOOTH) - Another new one on me, and not bad at all. Generally I'm not hugely keen on female vocals but it certainly works here.

8) HALAH (MAZZY STAR) - By contrast, this is a female vocal that I didn't enjoy nearly as much. It all seemed very flat and one-paced.

9) SATURDAY (SPARKLEHORSE) - Another decent tune, let down by very flat vocals for me. It starts slowly and just doesn't seem to go anywhere. All a bit of a wander with no particular destination.

10) FACTORY (BAND OF HORSES) - Another fairly mellow track, although with slightly better vocals to my taste. Still not overly memorable though and probably not something I'd listen to again.

11) SEPTEMBER GURLS (BIG STAR) - Quite like this, and another new band to explore. One for the mp3 collection I think.

12) A DREAM OF THE SEA (BONNY BILLY) - Not keen on this at all I'm afraid - never really been a fan of his and this doesn't do anything to change my view.

13) FREAK SCENE (DINOSAUR JR.) - A change of pace and tempo from the previous track, but again not something I'm keen on. Screechy guitars and vocals that I just don't like although I can't put my finger on why. I have to say I found this to be probably the most unlistenable track on the disc.

14) WHITE WINTER HYMNAL (FLEET FOXES) - Something completely different again from the previous track, and oddly listenable. Nice harmonies on the vocals which I do like, and probably a band and song I'd go back to.

15) ROLLIN' HOME ALONE (JASON LYTLE) - Not heard of this guy before, but I was rather enjoying this up until the guitar part in the middle which absolutely killed it for me I'm afraid.

16) HANNAH & GABI (LEMONHEADS) - Yup, I rather enjoyed this one. A bit more uptempo than some of the stuff on here, and more listenable to my taste as a result. There just seemed to be a bit more energy to it.

17) MADDER ROSE (MADDER ROSE) - In contrast, this was another contender for the song on the album I liked the least. I really can't find anything to say that I liked about this, I'm afraid.

19) NORTHWEST PASSAGE (PAPA M) - I like a good instrumental piece as much as the next man, but this just did nothing for me at all.

20) AMERICAN GIRL (TOM PETTY & THE HEARTBREAKERS) - Start with a classic, end with a classic. It's a time-honoured recipe and it works perfectly here. Can't go wrong with a bit of Tom Petty. :thumbsup:

Apologies again for the delay here, I could have SWORN I'd reviewed this but clearly not. Overall, not a bad disc at all, and it's given me a few new bands to explore which is the overall point of this whole exercise. I'm not sure who my Bunny is, but I do have a question is when they come forward or are revealed:

I'm sure I'll kick myself rather hard when you tell me, but who are the people on the cover? The guy at the front in the glasses seems particularly familiar, but I just can't QUITE place him. :down:

Forgive my intrusion but there are some CRACKING TUNES there. Good work that bunny!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury

Pretty sure I can name the supplier of this classy blend of (mainly) folk and country-tinged indie. Nice work!!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Ok, I am going to send PM's to the people who are yet to send CD's and find out what is going on with the CD's they are meant to be sending.

As far as I can work out this is the current state of play on who has had their CD's etc, those who've not yet reviewed please can they do so as that is half the fun revealing what tracks are on your CD and what you think of them.

Tinycowboy - CD received and reviewed
CorgiRegisteredFriend - CD received and reviewed
Somerset - CD received and reviewed
Staly - CD received and reviewed
Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo - CD received and reviewed
happypig - cd received and reviewed
Frutos - CD received and reviewed

The following have confirmed receipt of their CD but not yet reviewed.

Mellotron - CD received, half reviewed.
MikeySmall - CD received
Gordon Bennett - CD received
willyfantastic - CD received

The following are yet to confirm they have received their CD

Theatre of Trees
catfish - sender has contacted me regarding a PC issue which should be fixed soon and CD will be sent then.
Flex Your Head
hans kraay fan club
JamesAndTheGiantHead
Mowgli37
Pevenseagull
Red Star Portslade
Spring Hall Convert
Stoo82

I did confirm I'd recieved my CD. I'm really busy at the moment and will try my hrdest to get a review up before The Great Escape this weekend but in all likelyhood I think it will be next week.

I reckon my sender was Red Star Portslade btw.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I sent mine about two weeks ago but the recipient has not acknowledged it!

Flex Your Head

Great optimism Murray - you always knew we'd make the play-offs.
Yes indeed, and I cleaned up at the bookies*. Unfortunately, my optimism was misplaced re the CD and my doormat was bereft of digital tuneage when I returned home yesterday. I fear it might be my second no-show in a row, y'know *sigh*

*this is actually a lie; I've only ever been in a bookies 3 or 4 times and always feel like an imposter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here