Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Easter Bunny CD 2015

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Nice to finally see a few reviews. (Would be nicer to GET a cd!)

Can those reviewing, not also put up a picture of the ARTWORK, please? I'm as interested in the artwork as the music choices. I like to see the efforts people have gone to. :thumbsup:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
This is the current state of play on who has had their CD's etc

Tinycowboy - CD received and reviewed
CorgiRegisteredFriend - CD received and reviewed
Somerset - CD received and reviewed
Staly - CD received and reviewed

The following have confirmed receipt of their CD but not yet reviewed.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo - CD received (my review is half done, hopefully up later today)
Mellotron - CD received
MikeySmall - CD received
Frutos - CD received
Gordon Bennett - CD received

The following are yet to confirm they have received their CD

Theatre of Trees
willyfantastic
catfish - sender has contacted me regarding a PC issue which should be fixed soon and CD will be sent then.
Flex Your Head
hans kraay fan club
happypig
JamesAndTheGiantHead
Mowgli37
Pevenseagull
Red Star Portslade
Spring Hall Convert
Stoo82

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The following have confirmed receipt of their CD but not yet reviewed.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo - CD received (my review is half done, hopefully up later today)
Mellotron - CD received
MikeySmall - CD received
Frutos - CD received
Gordon Bennett - CD received

boooooooooo!

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
You’re So Cool – Hans Zimmer. Hans Zimmer’s a film composer, but I know little else about him. This is presumably from a soundtrack. I feel that it probably accompanies footage of flaxen tressed Polish girls in traditional dress frolicking in a field of flowers. And relax…
End Result – Jeffrey Lewis. A lot of received wisdom about music is wrong, lazy journalism and ideas that have become “truth” through repetition. One of these is that Crass were more about the message than the music, and that their records were almost unlistenable. This is patently untrue, they could pen a good tune. One of the most important bands of the 20th Century. Jeffrey Lewis’ Crass covers album was a highlight, and some of his covers were (whisper it) better than the originals. “I am an example. I'm no hero of the great, intelligent, magnificent human race. I'm part of the race that kills for possessions, part of the race that's wiping itself out”.
Sleepless – Retarded. Swervedriver.
I Wanna Go To Hollywood – Shits. I’m not sure that the swear filter will allow you to know the name of this band. I know nothing about them, but this is a bit too Mega City 4 for me.
Naked As We Come – Iron And Wine. I’ve rather ignored this band because I saw a good review of them in Mojo once, and I tend to automatically assume that anyone that Mojo likes will sound a bit like the Replacements. This was quite good though.

I sent my CD a while ago, by the way. It's not been acknowledged yet, hope it got there.

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
boooooooooo!

Give us a chance, mine only arrived yesterday afternoon!!

I've got about 10 hours worth of mainly motorway driving coming up over the Bank Holiday weekend, so fingers crossed I'll be able to give the CD a couple of listens and so be able to offer an opinion about it by the early part of next week.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Give us a chance, mine only arrived yesterday afternoon!!

I've got about 10 hours worth of mainly motorway driving coming up over the Bank Holiday weekend, so fingers crossed I'll be able to give the CD a couple of listens and so be able to offer an opinion about it by the early part of next week.

Fair comment.

booooooo [MENTION=17286]Gordon Bennett[/MENTION]

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] , [MENTION=4675]Frutos[/MENTION] and the others!

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
The Best Ever Death Metal Band In Denton – The Mountain Goats. Hail Satan.
State Oppression – Raw Power. Italian hardcore. A bit metal crossover, but they certainly nail state oppression. That’ll show ‘em.
88 Lines About 44 Women – The Nails. Excellent, I collect songs that use the “Man Whose Head Expanded” intro, and here’s another one.
One Little Packet Of Cigarettes – The New Vaudeville Band. These were the Bonzo’s big rivals weren’t they? Never heard this before. I love this stuff. Me and a friend were once going to do a version of the C86 tape in this style. It would have rocked (well, strolled). The Servants song would’ve been much the same.
Applying – Palomica. I’m assuming that these are local (to you), due to the fact that their Facebook page has a picture of a beach with some pebbles on it. When I see a pebble beach I always think “Brighton”. Guitar and radio tuning, pleasant enough.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Fair comment.

booooooo [MENTION=17286]Gordon Bennett[/MENTION]

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] , [MENTION=4675]Frutos[/MENTION] and the others!

To be fair, my CD is barely worthy of being reviewed. You'll see why...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
To be fair, my CD is barely worthy of being reviewed. You'll see why...

This is all about people's differing tastes. (Unless they've literally just recorded an entire Boyzone album, then...) ...they've made an effort to put something together, so the very least you can do, is give it a listen and see what you think.

There must be something redeeming about it? Artwork? Decent case, you could use for something else? Good quality JIFFY BAG!?

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Egg Raid On Mojo – The Beastie Boys. More received wisdom is that the Beasties were a poor quality hardcore band before they discovered hip hop. Personally I think they were pretty good.
UFO Dictator – Tampax. Italian hardcore. I love bands who can’t speak English trying to sing phonetically. Split 7” with Hitler’s SS, possibly the most inadvisable band name ever? Tampax on the other hand is a fabulous name for a band. The swear filter would certainly not have allowed the other Tampax song on the record through.
Faded Glamour – Animals That Swim. Now this is a special one for me, as it was the first song on the first compilation tape I ever did for the future Mrs Staly. Aaaaaaaah. She could have taken it wrong, thinking about it. I like the line about a shop that sells unlabelled tin cans, “you just guess what you’re going to get”, because there was a shop which did just that in Stalybridge where I used to work. It also sold tripe. Animals That Swim should have been huge.
Proper Education – Mikey Dread. Mikey Dread was always a staple on the John Peel show in 79/80 when I first started listening whilst doing my homework. First reggae I ever heard probably, not counting UB40. Good stuff.
Language School – The Tours. This popped up on a recent Cherry Red compilation of Peel show favourites, to continue the theme. Prime power pop, which I feel I don’t own enough of.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This is all about people's differing tastes. (Unless they've literally just recorded an entire Boyzone album, then...) ...they've made an effort to put something together, so the very least you can do, is give it a listen and see what you think.

There must be something redeeming about it? Artwork? Decent case, you could use for something else? Good quality JIFFY BAG!?

Funnily enough you're not a million miles off. No, to be fair the artwork was good. Review is on it's way when I'm back from work this evening. I don't think I'm being snobby as (could be wrong) I think they have mucked about a bit with their tracklisting.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
The Best Ever Death Metal Band In Denton – The Mountain Goats. Hail Satan.
State Oppression – Raw Power. Italian hardcore. A bit metal crossover, but they certainly nail state oppression. That’ll show ‘em.
88 Lines About 44 Women – The Nails. Excellent, I collect songs that use the “Man Whose Head Expanded” intro, and here’s another one.
One Little Packet Of Cigarettes – The New Vaudeville Band. These were the Bonzo’s big rivals weren’t they? Never heard this before. I love this stuff. Me and a friend were once going to do a version of the C86 tape in this style. It would have rocked (well, strolled). The Servants song would’ve been much the same.
Applying – Palomica. I’m assuming that these are local (to you), due to the fact that their Facebook page has a picture of a beach with some pebbles on it. When I see a pebble beach I always think “Brighton”. Guitar and radio tuning, pleasant enough.

Staly, this sounds like a pretty whimsical CD, bordering on nutty. I think you're correct in your guess.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Fiery Jack - The Yummy Fur. Cover of the Fall classic of course. I saw the Yummy Fur many times back in the day. I was very disappointed when Franz Ferdinand and the 1990s both turned out to be so pants. All of Yummy Fur's early stuff sounded like Fiery Jack, so it's only right that they covered it. Actually that's not fair. A lot of it sounded more like Pay Your Rates.

Problem - Grimple. More Grimple. You can't have too much Grimple.

I enjoyed this CD, and I'll play it more times. Also a few bands that merit further investigation. I am convinced that Flex Your Head is the author, and is trying to fool me by not including any Joanna Gruesome.

I'll post a picture of the cover later.

Flex Your Head

I enjoyed this CD, and I'll play it more times. Also a few bands that merit further investigation. I am convinced that Flex Your Head is the author, and is trying to fool me by not including any Joanna Gruesome.

I'll post a picture of the cover later.

Correct. I thought I could try and 'disguise' my identity more by including loads of crap songs, but where's the fun in that (ask [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION])? Glad you mainly enjoyed it and let me know if there's anything you'd like to hear more of.

Thoroughly enjoyed reading your review - top stuff. I feel exactly the same as you do about Fugazi by the way!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here