Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Easter Bunny CD 2015

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I guess I am in a position to post a review having had my CD over a week. The problem I have though is there is no track listing and I am struggling to recognise some of the songs as the majority are not the genre I would listen too. I was lucky enough to get a double CD- one uk based- although I got confused as The Clash appeared at one point. The other was definitely 100% USA. Most of the music on CD 1 was Blues/Rock and Roll until track 9 when the brilliant Wire turned up with their raucous Dot Dash from debut Pink Flag. The highlight of the album for me. Then some Wreckless Eric and The Ruts (a sure clue as to who this bunny is?) and the aforementioned Clash with Gates Of The West. A few more tracks I did not know and a return to the earlier Rock and Roll Sound. I did manage to identify Deff Leppard in the mix as well.
CD 2 I have listened to less so probably need to invest more time on it. No doubting its American sound and it contained some serious Blues and Rock and Roll. Not what I would listen to but but enjoyable none the less and good to drive to on the way to work this morning.
As for my guess- and it was The Ruts that gave me the clue- I give you.....HappyPig...and thank you indeed.

Well spotted, it was indeed me.
The QR code on the back would have given you a link to the track listing but I guess it was a bit too "geeky", the full track listings are at http://www.tanelorn.co.uk/eb.html

Def Leppard though ? Nooooo.....
And the Clash were, rightly, on the UK disk,

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Right. Part two. I think I like reading the reviews best in this whole process.

Gallows Pole - Babajack: suspenseful beginning, foreboding harmonica. Very slightly melodramatic female vocals, crazy male vocals a la Cartoon Heroes by Aqua. Quite low key. Desperate people populate this song. The man is certainly a low down villain. Quite like.

Death Row - Mike Zito: porch kind of song, nice slide guitar, man lamenting his poor life choices. Just a slidey guitar, tambourine and a single deep drum beat. Simple blues track - to be enjoyed with a glass of neat Makers Mark.

T'Ain't Nobody's Business - Ian Siegal: quite jaunty, intricate, almost baroque guitar work. Deepish, throaty vocals, tale of narcotic woes, very impressive speed of delivery - rap speed rat-a-tat machine gun style. Is that an English accent behind the Americanisms? Shortish, sweetish. Quite impressive overall.

If It Doesn't Come Naturally, Leave It - Al Stewart: quite poppy in a 1970s way, vocals slightly tinged with New Wave/punkish affectations - in fact, similar to Darren Hayman. Neat guitar solo. Pleasant.

Days - Kirsty MacColl: we all know this. Poor old Kirsty. Always liked her voice. Not her most inspired, but a nice 3 or 4 minutes.

Richest Man - C.J. Chenier: starts like Give Me A Little More Time, but the accordion soon dispels that notion. Smooth vocals with rough edges. A man looking for love. Fertile soil. Slow blues, living at the fringes of doo-wop.

Check Up From The Neck Up - The Hamsters: starts with some idiosyncratic percussion, moves swampily into a standard blues/rock structure. Chorus a bit of a disappointment - literally not much of a punchline. Guitars meander around. Bassline underwhelming - merely underpins the obvious. Okay, but one of the weaker points on the CD.

Diddle Umma Day - Chas and Dave: if you're in the mood, great fun. If you're not, a minor irritant. I'm in the mood - pretty silly, not going to win any songwriting awards, but endearing nonetheless.

Billy Bentley - Kilburn and the High Roads: not a million miles away from Chas and Dave, but with Ian Dury on vocals. Lots of silly Larnden accenting and lists of places, jaunty rock and roll backing. Sounds like there'd be no Parklife without this. Good fun.

Wish I Was You - Hayseed Dixie: pretty rude narcissistic stuff within the context of a simple banjo and fiddle arrangement. Bawdy. Glad I didn't play this to the family in the car. Not bad.

Simple Man - Lynryd Skynryd: starts off reminding me of BOC, Led Zep. Has a kind of Stairway To Heaven elegiac, wistful feel. There is a sense of restraint, but that the guitars will come home to roost. They do a bit, but there's no shredding - bit too much 70s rock for me. Prefer the bluesy songs.

It's What I Am - Garland Jeffreys: end of the party comedown. Slightly mopey and fragile. First note reminded me of Here by Pavement. Not bad.

Thank you very much for the CD - Catfish is my strong suspicion. In fact, it's a certainty. Quite enjoyed that, outside of my comfort zone. Much appreciated. :thumbsup:

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Right. Part two. I think I like reading the reviews best in this whole process.

Gallows Pole - Babajack: suspenseful beginning, foreboding harmonica. Very slightly melodramatic female vocals, crazy male vocals a la Cartoon Heroes by Aqua. Quite low key. Desperate people populate this song. The man is certainly a low down villain. Quite like.

Death Row - Mike Zito: porch kind of song, nice slide guitar, man lamenting his poor life choices. Just a slidey guitar, tambourine and a single deep drum beat. Simple blues track - to be enjoyed with a glass of neat Makers Mark.

T'Ain't Nobody's Business - Ian Siegal: quite jaunty, intricate, almost baroque guitar work. Deepish, throaty vocals, tale of narcotic woes, very impressive speed of delivery - rap speed rat-a-tat machine gun style. Is that an English accent behind the Americanisms? Shortish, sweetish. Quite impressive overall.

If It Doesn't Come Naturally, Leave It - Al Stewart: quite poppy in a 1970s way, vocals slightly tinged with New Wave/punkish affectations - in fact, similar to Darren Hayman. Neat guitar solo. Pleasant.

Days - Kirsty MacColl: we all know this. Poor old Kirsty. Always liked her voice. Not her most inspired, but a nice 3 or 4 minutes.

Richest Man - C.J. Chenier: starts like Give Me A Little More Time, but the accordion soon dispels that notion. Smooth vocals with rough edges. A man looking for love. Fertile soil. Slow blues, living at the fringes of doo-wop.

Check Up From The Neck Up - The Hamsters: starts with some idiosyncratic percussion, moves swampily into a standard blues/rock structure. Chorus a bit of a disappointment - literally not much of a punchline. Guitars meander around. Bassline underwhelming - merely underpins the obvious. Okay, but one of the weaker points on the CD.

Diddle Umma Day - Chas and Dave: if you're in the mood, great fun. If you're not, a minor irritant. I'm in the mood - pretty silly, not going to win any songwriting awards, but endearing nonetheless.

Billy Bentley - Kilburn and the High Roads: not a million miles away from Chas and Dave, but with Ian Dury on vocals. Lots of silly Larnden accenting and lists of places, jaunty rock and roll backing. Sounds like there'd be no Parklife without this. Good fun.

Wish I Was You - Hayseed Dixie: pretty rude narcissistic stuff within the context of a simple banjo and fiddle arrangement. Bawdy. Glad I didn't play this to the family in the car. Not bad.

Simple Man - Lynryd Skynryd: starts off reminding me of BOC, Led Zep. Has a kind of Stairway To Heaven elegiac, wistful feel. There is a sense of restraint, but that the guitars will come home to roost. They do a bit, but there's no shredding - bit too much 70s rock for me. Prefer the bluesy songs.

It's What I Am - Garland Jeffreys: end of the party comedown. Slightly mopey and fragile. First note reminded me of Here by Pavement. Not bad.

Thank you very much for the CD - Catfish is my strong suspicion. In fact, it's a certainty. Quite enjoyed that, outside of my comfort zone. Much appreciated. :thumbsup:

:whistle:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Mine has arrived. Lovely picture of the Amex on the front. I recognise a few of the artists and I'll give it a good listen tomorrow while I'm doing the ironing.
Somewhat encouragingly, mrs C looked at the track listing and pronounced "looks like a load of old shit" which, whilst not being a gaurantee of quality, is certainly hopeful (she has the most appalling music taste)

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Well spotted, it was indeed me.
The QR code on the back would have given you a link to the track listing but I guess it was a bit too "geeky", the full track listings are at http://www.tanelorn.co.uk/eb.html

Def Leppard though ? Nooooo.....
And the Clash were, rightly, on the UK disk,

Thanks for link.
I did ask my son about the code thing ( he being a mere 22) and he said I needed an android phone to scan it. At which point I knew it wasn't going to happen. Great selection of tracks though.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
There isn't any f***ing Def Leppard on it and I'm struggling to think what Corgi thought was them.

I see its Mott The Hoople! Huge error.
That second CD deserves a closer listen definitely.

P.S Def Leppard did cover the same song.

Last edited:

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
My CD has arrived. :clap:

Weirdly am excited by the prospect of listening to it (don't know most of the artists listed and there is a 'secret track' at the beginning) but I'm also slightly nervous in case I don't like it!

And who needs a QR Code on the cover when you can have a bunny hand drawn in biro.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
QR Code? Secret Track? I compiled mine direct to vinyl and included a download code and live DVD version.

Still nothing received *sigh*

I also went to some effort, and have received nothing, and nor has my effort been reviewed :down:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Will put my review up today.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
OK, I'm starting my review. I've sat down to do this a few times, but Mrs Staly always seems to be able to find me a job that absolutely needs to be done instead, so I end up painting walls. I'll be doing this in short bursts. First five:

Let’s Go To The Beach – The White Wires. Beach Boys meets The Ramones. A well tested but still effective formula.
Pablo In Dub – Augustus Pablo. I’ve always liked Augustus Pablo, because I like his doomed attempt to carve a place for the melodica into righteous dub music.
Killing Time – The Big Boys. First gen US hardcore band. I’d not heard this song before, and googling revealed it to be from their last album, which I don’t have. Mellower than their early stuff, reminded me a bit of the Futureheads(!)
Fugazi – Waiting Room Never got that into Fugazi. I approve of them in theory but I find it all a bit indigestible. They’re one of those bands that I like in theory, but rarely actually listen to. See also Alternative TV, Beat Happening, Bailter Space. Fine in short doses though.
Grimple-Blood Gutter. I know nothing about Grimple. Had to Google them. I was impressed to see that their first album was called Up Your Ass. Sounds like it’s playing at the wrong speed until he starts “singing”. 90s California hardcore, and all the better for that.

Flex, is this you?

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Elizabethan Reggae – Boris Gardiner. Ska instrumental. Good stuff.
Hits From The Bong – Cypress Hill. A classic of course.
Huddle Formation– The Go Team. When I listen to the Go Team I really enjoy them. When I’m not listening to them I sort of disapprove of them. I don’t really know why, sort of a mental block I think. I think it often feels like it’s just a bit too manipulative, like a blatant tear jerking moment in a cheesy film.
You Can Count On Me – Ghost Mice. Another lot I had to Google. Folk punk (apparently) from Indiana. I liked it, but why do American women often have such whiny voices?
Never Been In A Riot – The Mekons. A stone cold classic. And written in a pub in which I have spent many happy hours….

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here