NSC Easter Bunny CD 2015

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Got mine delivered today, listened whilst working from home, here are my thoughts:

Packaging: meh!, who looks at the mantle-piece whilst stoking the fire?

Disclaimer: Music is very subjective, don't be offended. As I know very little of the artists listed ( only 3 in fact), forgive me if I provide another as a comparison to give the reader context.

Summary: Well, in my view, a drab start, picked up from track 3 through the middle offerings, confused the hell out of me in the last third, BUT provided some nostalgic reminders. Who it is, well I would like to say that it is a uni student or post grad sitting in halls doped up on weed, but that would be a bit pointed. I then thought maybe Dave In Prague with his euro slant that crept in from time to time, then maybe Mellotron, but I think this is too NON_MAINSTREAM for him, but to be honest I dont know you all well enough. I will settle for a single guy, mid/late 30's, who hates mainstream music,... or was just being bloody minded with his selections.

1) Swans - A Little God in my Hands -- Slow, drab start, 7 mins of quite dour Indie.
2) Skull Defekts - Venom -- Nice tempo, nice guitar,... felt a little like very early Bauhaus.
3) Liars - Boyzone -- Very 80's feel, Yello comes to mind, I liked the club beat.
4) Fort Romeau - I Knew -- As above, I liked it. Late 80's Club Med rooftop bar early evening.
5) Actress - Rule -- Mellow, chillout early 90's feel, nice.
6) Nenah Cherry - Blank Project -- Out there arty funk/indie feel. Fair to middling.
7) Tara Jane O'Neil - Wordless in Woods -- Lacked something, like Enya at half speed.
8) Mark McGuire - Arrival Begins the next depart. -- Great, very chilled 'bbq' background vibe.
9) Sun Kill Moon - Prayer for Newtown -- Bit of an American grunge sound, decent vocals/harmonies,.... but no hook to drag me in.
10) Eagulls - Amber Veins -- Futureheads did this type of thing better in my view,...
11) Cloud Nothings - Psychic Trauma -- Not bad, Stiff Little Fingers feel,..... good rolling riffs.
12) Kaseem Moss - Untitled A3 -- Euro club elektro stuff,... very listenable.
13) Ekopleks - Trace Elements -- more of the same as above with a slight late night Amsterdam coffee shop feel.
14) East India Youth - Hinterland -- Real 'Kevin & Perry' Ibiza sound.... took me back to those sunny 'medicinal' summers on the med.
15) EMA - Satellites - very Skunk Anansie....
16) Angel Olsen - High and Wild -- Oasis feel, but with pure 'Indie' vocals,.... didnt like it at all.
17) St Vincent - Bring me your loves -- Hot Chip with Pauline Black guest vocals,.... I was very confused..... but it was a 6/10.

Thats it, sorry for the less than 'MUSO' analysis,.... good effort, what a whacky world the producer of this CD must live in.

As I am stranded in the West Country, I am now just in time to watch the boys on TV,... fear not though, my seat is occupied by my brother in law.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
i think you got away quite lightly there Somerset - that's quite MOR by the sender's usual standards, if my guess is right. :wink:
I assume we will all see who sent what at some point.... or is that not the done thing.?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
i think you got away quite lightly there Somerset - that's quite MOR by the sender's usual standards, if my guess is right. :wink:

Yes. I think I know who this is too and yes pretty conservative compared to his normal likes.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I assume we will all see who sent what at some point.... or is that not the done thing.?

Yep - usually the reviewer has a guess or two, others also have a guess and the original sender reveals themselves or are outed by the organiser. Your sender is usually all over the music threads, so I'm sure this one will be wrapped up pretty soonish. Nice to see this thread is picking up a bit now. I'd better finish my review actually - I have some blues to listen to....

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Got to do my review still as not had time to listen to the second CD in the package. I have been up to the post office first thing and sent mine so that's the important bit done!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Got my CD, will review soon. Think my sender has an interesting sense of humour possibly...

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
Nothing in today's post :(

I'm driving up to Yorkshire first thing Friday morning so am keeping my fingers crossed that I'll have something new to listen to as I while away the hours stuck in traffic on the M1.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Got mine delivered today, listened whilst working from home, here are my thoughts:

Packaging: meh!, who looks at the mantle-piece whilst stoking the fire?

Disclaimer: Music is very subjective, don't be offended. As I know very little of the artists listed ( only 3 in fact), forgive me if I provide another as a comparison to give the reader context.

Summary: Well, in my view, a drab start, picked up from track 3 through the middle offerings, confused the hell out of me in the last third, BUT provided some nostalgic reminders. Who it is, well I would like to say that it is a uni student or post grad sitting in halls doped up on weed, but that would be a bit pointed. I then thought maybe Dave In Prague with his euro slant that crept in from time to time, then maybe Mellotron, but I think this is too NON_MAINSTREAM for him, but to be honest I dont know you all well enough. I will settle for a single guy, mid/late 30's, who hates mainstream music,... or was just being bloody minded with his selections.

1) Swans - A Little God in my Hands -- Slow, drab start, 7 mins of quite dour Indie.
2) Skull Defekts - Venom -- Nice tempo, nice guitar,... felt a little like very early Bauhaus.
3) Liars - Boyzone -- Very 80's feel, Yello comes to mind, I liked the club beat.
4) Fort Romeau - I Knew -- As above, I liked it. Late 80's Club Med rooftop bar early evening.
5) Actress - Rule -- Mellow, chillout early 90's feel, nice.
6) Nenah Cherry - Blank Project -- Out there arty funk/indie feel. Fair to middling.
7) Tara Jane O'Neil - Wordless in Woods -- Lacked something, like Enya at half speed.
8) Mark McGuire - Arrival Begins the next depart. -- Great, very chilled 'bbq' background vibe.
9) Sun Kill Moon - Prayer for Newtown -- Bit of an American grunge sound, decent vocals/harmonies,.... but no hook to drag me in.
10) Eagulls - Amber Veins -- Futureheads did this type of thing better in my view,...
11) Cloud Nothings - Psychic Trauma -- Not bad, Stiff Little Fingers feel,..... good rolling riffs.
12) Kaseem Moss - Untitled A3 -- Euro club elektro stuff,... very listenable.
13) Ekopleks - Trace Elements -- more of the same as above with a slight late night Amsterdam coffee shop feel.
14) East India Youth - Hinterland -- Real 'Kevin & Perry' Ibiza sound.... took me back to those sunny 'medicinal' summers on the med.
15) EMA - Satellites - very Skunk Anansie....
16) Angel Olsen - High and Wild -- Oasis feel, but with pure 'Indie' vocals,.... didnt like it at all.
17) St Vincent - Bring me your loves -- Hot Chip with Pauline Black guest vocals,.... I was very confused..... but it was a 6/10.

Thats it, sorry for the less than 'MUSO' analysis,.... good effort, what a whacky world the producer of this CD must live in.

As I am stranded in the West Country, I am now just in time to watch the boys on TV,... fear not though, my seat is occupied by my brother in law.

No offense taken at all, thanks for the effort you put into reviewing it, much appreciated. Early 30's, have been known to have the odd herbal ciggarette, not single but you correctly identify I don't listen to too much mainstream music.

I probably won't put any Swans on the next one - that's the second bad reaction in 2 CD's.

Haven't recieved mine yet..

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
No offense taken at all, thanks for the effort you put into reviewing it, much appreciated. Early 30's, have been known to have the odd herbal ciggarette, not single but you correctly identify I don't listen to too much mainstream music.

I probably won't put any Swans on the next one - that's the second bad reaction in 2 CD's.

Ha, what did you expect? They're the least 'immediate' band you could choose!

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

It was quite a listen......I enjoyed the exposure to some very unique sounds.

Flex Your Head

Ha, what did you expect? They're the least 'immediate' band you could choose!
I remember when they played at the Zap club and they were so loud people were leaving the venue to throw up. I wondered whether I'd exaggerated that over the years, but this seems to confirm what I'd heard.

THE SWANS-Brighton Zap Club-1987
Noise as a weapon of mass destruction.This was the LOUDEST concert I’ve ever heard, at this point Swans were using volume as an instrument ,as an invisible 5th member if you like,or so read the blurb at the time. What this meant in reality was the sound of a herd of angry F-104 Star fighters battling with the great dark beast for control of your aural soul. This was ‘musique concrete’ and it literally moved you, Body and Soul. It was a physically intimidating thing, you felt the volume of sound actually moving across your body, wiping its oily slick fingers across your soul. God help any poor soul on drugs that night , they’re probably still raving & drooling in some Brightonian mental institute crying out for silence. Most of the audience sat on the beach outside of the club, and you could almost certainlyhave still heard it if you had been sat on the beach across the channel in France. As for the music it was the usual cheery dirges, happy tunes about rape, slavery and death.

https://www.headheritage.co.uk/headtohead/unsung/topic/48307/flat/20

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I guess I am in a position to post a review having had my CD over a week. The problem I have though is there is no track listing and I am struggling to recognise some of the songs as the majority are not the genre I would listen too. I was lucky enough to get a double CD- one uk based- although I got confused as The Clash appeared at one point. The other was definitely 100% USA. Most of the music on CD 1 was Blues/Rock and Roll until track 9 when the brilliant Wire turned up with their raucous Dot Dash from debut Pink Flag. The highlight of the album for me. Then some Wreckless Eric and The Ruts (a sure clue as to who this bunny is?) and the aforementioned Clash with Gates Of The West. A few more tracks I did not know and a return to the earlier Rock and Roll Sound. I did manage to identify Deff Leppard in the mix as well.
CD 2 I have listened to less so probably need to invest more time on it. No doubting its American sound and it contained some serious Blues and Rock and Roll. Not what I would listen to but but enjoyable none the less and good to drive to on the way to work this morning.
As for my guess- and it was The Ruts that gave me the clue- I give you.....HappyPig...and thank you indeed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports