NSC Easter Bunny CD 2015

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
There have been some great mixes put together and people have put a lot of effort in. A success, I feel. Interesting to see some of the same bands cropping up on different CD's.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
There have been some great mixes put together and people have put a lot of effort in. A success, I feel. Interesting to see some of the same bands cropping up on different CD's.

I think LOW are leading. At least three appearances to date.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Carrot Cruncher?

James, re your CD: WARNING: this WILL become pretentious, but it's ok, because it's KNOWINGLY pretentious: that Rod Freeman track is a bit odd, but it's quite a seminal piece of music (does that make it good? Not necessarily). It was recorded in 1959 and, depending on your viewpoint, either paved the way for experimental music/prog rock/electronica/the internet/Ben and Jerry's, or sounds like a duet between a weirdo and Pinky and Perky. I like the atmosphere of this track, but I'm afraid to say that when my wife heard it, she was dismissive and resorted to some regrettably coarse language.

Re the MBV track - I agree with Albumen: the white noise acts as a buffer. Initially, it provides relief from what has gone before, but the stasis then develops a spiralling life of its own, dragging you into something more extreme than the preceding verse/chorus(?)/verse/chorus had. The release back into the verse/chorus is a masterstroke, as is the white noise at the end which threatens to go even further. When it all stops at the end, leaving only the white noise, you realise that the noise is not the threat it appeared to be. The song then has to end. If it had faded out instead, there would have been a different implication.

Re Low: for me, this song is all about suppression/repression. Low are essentially a very religious couple, but on their second album, a tension develops between the subject matter and the music, manifesting itself in some uncharacteristically aggressive string hitting. This happens on Laugh, Lust and, most obviously and alarmingly, on Do You Know How To Waltz, a 14 minute song about what happens when a country dance ends for the night. It descends into the most glorious chaos as the guitars build and build over about 10 minutes in a three chord ascending sequence that is both creepy and enthralling. Anyway, what was I talking about? Yes, you've identified the single moment that turns this song on its head - the unexpected boldly-struck chord that seems to indicate uncertainty and a change of mind. It's worth waiting for, but I agree that the song could be a bit of a downer...

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Re Low: for me, this song is all about suppression/repression. Low are essentially a very religious couple, but on their second album, a tension develops between the subject matter and the music, manifesting itself in some uncharacteristically aggressive string hitting. This happens on Laugh, Lust and, most obviously and alarmingly, on Do You Know How To Waltz, a 14 minute song about what happens when a country dance ends for the night. It descends into the most glorious chaos as the guitars build and build over about 10 minutes in a three chord ascending sequence that is both creepy and enthralling. Anyway, what was I talking about? Yes, you've identified the single moment that turns this song on its head - the unexpected boldly-struck chord that seems to indicate uncertainty and a change of mind. It's worth waiting for, but I agree that the song could be a bit of a downer...

I did not realise they were quite as religious as they obviously are until listening to some of the lyrics on the Christmas e.p. My girlfriend thinks they are a 'downer' ever since we saw them live last year. Guess its all part of personal choice though and I for one really enjoy them.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Another satisfied customer. I hope to see more this week.
Could someone who has more time than me today highlight those who have received? Don't highlight those who have been revealed just yet. I've started you off just off the top of my head.

Albumen
willyfantastic
Mellotron
Frutos
Happypig
spring hall convert
Herr Tubthumper
Razzoo
Buzzer
Yorkshire-Seagull
tinycowboy
ees complicated, no?
seagully
Pevenseagull
Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo
TotallyFreaked
Hans Kraay Fan Club
Staly
Catfish
Flex Your Head
DavePage
Carrot Cruncher
CorgiRegisteredFriend
Jamesandthegianthead
Mowgli37
Red star Portslade

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The following (in bold) have recieved their CDs:

Albumen
willyfantastic
Mellotron
Frutos
Happypig
spring hall convert (no review yet!)
Herr Tubthumper
Razzoo
Buzzer
Yorkshire-Seagull
tinycowboy
ees complicated, no?
(No review yet!)
seagully
Pevenseagull
Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo
TotallyFreaked
Hans Kraay Fan Club
Staly
Catfish
Flex Your Head
DavePage
Carrot Cruncher
CorgiRegisteredFriend
Jamesandthegianthead

Mowgli37
Red star Portslade

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I've now listened to my disc so here goes: It came with a simple but effective blue & white striped front cover.

Tracks:

Whiskey Lullaby - Brad Paisley (feat.Allison Kraus). A pleasant, melancholy number to start off with.
This Hard Land - Bruce Springsteen. This one will definitely stay on my ipod.
Colder Weather Zac Brown Band. Has a West Coast feel to it which I rather like.
Drops Of Jupiter -Train. Could have been written by Jeff Lynne with that string section .50/50 on this one.
Hard Times Come Easy - Richie Sambora. Not really my cuppa.
Devil And The Cross - Halfway To Hazard. Too country for my taste.
Lightning - Eric Church. Same as above.
Copperhead Road - Steve Earle. Good anti-Vietnam rocker.
Flowers - Chris Young. Country weepy which doesn't do it for me.
In Colour - Jamie Johnson. My baby left me & my doggy done died - you get the idea.
Let Her Cry - Hootie & The Blowfish. A good chillax with a cold beer song.
Always Gonna Be You - Kenny Chesney. Same as above.
Who'll Stop The Rain -John Fogerty (feat. Bob Seger). Haven't heard this before & really like it.
Keep Me In Mind - Zac Brown Band. Has a real Jackson Browne feel to it - excellent.
Death Of A Married man - Brad Paisley (feat. Eric Idle). !!
Harvey Bodine - Brad paisley (feat.Eric Idle). Made me laugh.
Dixie Lullaby - Pat green. Not for me I'm afraid.
Chances - Five For Fighting. Pleasant easy listener.
Walkaway - Cast. Find this song very annoying!

Only two of theses artists feature in my music collection - Springsteen & Fogerty - & there are several I'd never heard of. I like the fact that it is almost entirely made up
of American artists but there is too much country for me I'm afraid. Highlights are the Springsteen & Zac Brown tracks. As to the identity of my Santa - I don't have a scooby.
Whoever you are though I thank you.

[MENTION=17936]catfish[/MENTION]

[MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] is indeed correct, that was my contribution. Glad you liked some of it at least, I'm happy knowing that I've at least provided a couple of new tracks and artists that you liked - that is the point of all this after all. :thumbsup:

As you can tell, I'm a big country fan and although that obviously isn't to your tastes I'm pleased that there were some bits of it you could enjoy. I'm glad you had a laugh at Death Of A Married Man/Harvey Bodine - it's a bit of a risk trying to guess someone's comedy tastes at the same time as their musical tastes, but I love the song and the idea too much not to have included it.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Just hoping now that Santa will be visiting me in the coming days. :thumbsup:

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
[MENTION=17936]catfish[/MENTION]

[MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] is indeed correct, that was my contribution. Glad you liked some of it at least, I'm happy knowing that I've at least provided a couple of new tracks and artists that you liked - that is the point of all this after all. :thumbsup:

As you can tell, I'm a big country fan and although that obviously isn't to your tastes I'm pleased that there were some bits of it you could enjoy. I'm glad you had a laugh at Death Of A Married Man/Harvey Bodine - it's a bit of a risk trying to guess someone's comedy tastes at the same time as their musical tastes, but I love the song and the idea too much not to have included it.

Many thanks - it got me listening to stuff from outside my usual 'comfort zone' which is no bad thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports