Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] NSC Desert Island Discs

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
A million miles away from Chris De Burgh. Mostly acoustic guitar loveliness with some cello as per my original choice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2jxjv0HkwM

I've gone down a Nick Drake rabbit hole this morning and discovered two things; first, there's another ND album. It's some home recordings (some with his mum and sister) and goes onto the must have list.

Second, talking of Chris de Burgh. He tried to join ND's pop group at school but was rejected for being "too poppy". (this anecdote is from Wikipedia so may not be true, but I'd love to think it is - I do note that he's the same age as ND and did attend the same school though)

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I've gone down a Nick Drake rabbit hole this morning and discovered two things; first, there's another ND album. It's some home recordings (some with his mum and sister) and goes onto the must have list.

Second, talking of Chris de Burgh. He tried to join ND's pop group at school but was rejected for being "too poppy". (this anecdote is from Wikipedia so may not be true, but I'd love to think it is - I do note that he's the same age as ND and did attend the same school though)

That's some research for 10 AM on a Tuesday - presume you are not at work? :lolol:

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
5. You Shouldn't Do That - Hawkwind -1972 This is the live version which somehow didn't get onto the original version of Space Ritual but is there on the re-released version. The album version is about half the speed of this, I wonder if that had anything to do with Lemmy playing bass this time around? :lolol:
!

Also the track that would often be the cue for the lovely Stacia to show case her talents.
80a82f952049d89bfd4dee80350717e4.jpg

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
4. Caravan – L'Auberge du Sanglier / A Hunting We Shall Go / Pengola / Backwards / A Hunting We Shall Go (reprise). This is my Canterbury Sounds entry, albeit an untypical track. A composite (track 7 on the CD) that had me spellbound in 74, and spellbound today. RIP Richard.

Happy days.

I put Caravan in as it was my first foray into psych/prog, at least the first thing I found for myself . . . . a nice vinyl copy of 'If I could do it all over again' from Wax Factor around 1990, £10. I took a punt as I liked the cover and the line up of musicians/instruments suggested a winner. It was an expensive record for me at the time, but one of the best musical investments I've ever made. I saw Caravan with Richard playing in Hove 2005. one of the last gigs he did. Fantastic drummer.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
1. ACDC Back to Black
2. Black Sabbeth War Pigs
3. Led Zepplin Whole lot of love
4. Cream White Room
5. The Sex Pistols Pretty Vacant
6. The Who won't get fooled again
7. Motörhead Ace of Spades
8. Iron Maiden hallowed be thy name

Luxury item inflatable doll I could use it as a raft to try and escape my island and if that didn't work well f**k it

Book How to survive on a desert island with only a rubber doll and a few records for company

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
1. ACDC Back to Black
2. Black Sabbeth War Pigs
3. Led Zepplin Whole lot of love
4. Cream White Room
5. The Sex Pistols Pretty Vacant
6. The Who won't get fooled again
7. Motörhead Ace of Spades
8. Iron Maiden hallowed be thy name

Luxury item inflatable doll I could use it as a raft to try and escape my island and if that didn't work well f**k it

Book How to survive on a desert island with only a rubber doll and a few records for company

You aren't into gentle acoustic stuff I can see...:lolol:

Lush

Mods' Pet
The trick definitely is to try and have songs that take you back to a time or place, or remind you of someone or something special.

If you try and choose 8 songs you love - just in themselves - you'll end up in a tail spin.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The trick definitely is to try and have songs that take you back to a time or place, or remind you of someone or something special.

If you try and choose 8 songs you love - just in themselves - you'll end up in a tail spin.

Have you been on a desert Island before ? :lolol:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I bought an Ed Sheeran Album on vinyl for my daughter. It is still in its wrapper. I would sell it but that would be tantamount to pushing smack.

***** Actually do you know what fair play to the bloke, he is ginger and looks like he has been squashed. He had a rough time at school because of this by the sounds of it and he is making a career out of writing his own songs. Castle on the Hill aint bad (nostalgia for this ex pat) and Class A team is a decent song.

As long as I don't have to listen to it, he's alright by me.

At least he's not Beiber!

I have always been perfectly happy to accept that different people like different things! I know I like some weird stuff that others would find difficult, and that other people like stuff with a passion which would either bore me to tears or send me up the wall. Each to his own!!! Or her own, obviously.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I have always been perfectly happy to accept that different people like different things! I know I like some weird stuff that others would find difficult, and that other people like stuff with a passion which would either bore me to tears or send me up the wall. Each to his own!!! Or her own, obviously.

Me too . . . . . but there are limits . . . . . on Sunday I was subjected to Simply Red from both sides whilst in my back garden.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Doors - Peace Frog
Depeche Mode - Stripped
U2 - Exit
Pearl Jam - State of love and trust
Nirvana - Radio Friendly Unit Shifter
Oasis - Acquiesce
Underworld - Born Slippy
Killers - Shot at the night

Book - The Great Gatsby
Luxury item - Drum kit

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
As others have said this is really hard and changes all the time but today its:

1) The Sex Pistols: Pretty Vacant - Too young to see them back in the day but music was never the same for me after hearing this with older cousins for the first time. Still brilliant all these years on and Steve Jones has never received the recognition he deserves for his guitar playing.

2) U2: Where the Streets have No Name - Love U2 and have seen them many times over the years from the Top Rank to Wembley stadium. They can be a bit hit and miss but think this is their best song and in particular the live version with that long intro before it really kicks in.

3) The Chameleons : Denims and Curls - Gratifying to see the most underrated band of all time in a lot of people's choices. Still play their stuff so not to have them would be unthinkable.

4) New Order: Regret - A fantastic pop song. Grew up seeing them and still do whenever I can.

5) Underworld: Jumbo - Makes me want dance every time I hear this. Just builds and builds with a wonderful swirling melody.

6) Max Richter: Written on the Sky. Always loved the piano. This is for those quieter moments. Hauntingly beautiful and sad.

7) Nick Cave: The Mercy Seat - the slowed down piano version. The sheer intensity of the way Cave sings this is incredible and his lyrics are unlike anyone else's.

8) The Killers: Mr Brightside. One of the best pop sing-a- longs of the last two decades from a classic album. Again, unforgettable live.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here