Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Nsc 1922-23....

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's 24th March 1923. Brighton have just beaten Bristol Rovers 2-1 at the Goldstone (I wonder if we have still played them more than any other team) and the UK is in interesting times.

The original photo from the other thread is below:

View attachment 149764

So in this thread we re-create the NSC of the time, as we enter the minds and the cultural leanings of a grandparents and great grand parents of the day. Inevitably the thread is derailed into political views as well as those on the sport itself.

What did NSC look like in 1922/23. ? Morph into the minds of your ancestors and let us have a peek...

Look at that **** with the personalised Bristol Rovers number plate.

Showing off when most of us are still walking and he’s managed to use that cunning disguise to get in the home end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
God grief man, I hope you will be in the Saloon bar and your maude is in the ladies bar, this is not America !

I pay the extra ha’penny on a pint to sit in the saloon on a Friday with Mrs Q. They do have a good Joana player on.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Yes, I did point that out to the gentlemen myself. (I appreciate our telegrams may have crossed). We need an NSC expression for when someone repeats another correspondent; I wonder if someone, somewhere will think of one sometime in the future?

Anyway, I fear we will all be disappointed. Good centre forwards cost the earth, maybe as much as two thousand pounds.

That will surely never happen. Market economics has to have a limit.

For instance, it is well documented that I will give up ale when it reaches one shilling per pint.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Fewer racists? You're kidding! Just think how the first class passenger from Chailey would have re-acted had the porter allowed a n***** or a w** into the same compartment as his wife! And on his way home he might have bought his son a good honest adventure story in which a gallant English lad outwits and defeats the devious and dastardly efforts of various d*goes, w*ps, sp*cs, l*scars, not to mention some devilishly wicked slanty eyed ch*nks! .............. and huns ..............

What about the pathans? Those upstarts have no consideration for who is in command.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
When will the England Committee finally give Tommy Cook the recognition he rightly deserves with an England call-up Billy Walker is not good enough, typical Northern bias.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
One day lad, Brighton and Hove Albion will be playing in the First Division, and we'll finish the season in the top half of the division.

One day.....

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
One day lad, Brighton and Hove Albion will be playing in the First Division, and we'll finish the season in the top half of the division.

One day.....

My God sir, have you been in the opium den again? Don't you know the like of us are not worthy of such heights?

Next thing you'll know, those frail creatures with breasts and vaginas will be trying to kick balls into the back door. Perish the thought.

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
I must report that Friday’s libation in the Neutered Sheep and Dessert Implement (think about it) in North Street with Mr Timothy Martin (complaining about the recent Entente Cordial with our French friends) was rather ruined when a diarama of Mrs Brown and her male offspring appeared. I’m sure that tastes will be different in 100 years’ time.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It's 24th March 1923. Brighton have just beaten Bristol Rovers 2-1 at the Goldstone (I wonder if we have still played them more than any other team) and the UK is in interesting times.

The original photo from the other thread is below:

View attachment 149764

So in this thread we re-create the NSC of the time, as we enter the minds and the cultural leanings of a grandparents and great grand parents of the day. Inevitably the thread is derailed into political views as well as those on the sport itself.

What did NSC look like in 1922/23. ? Morph into the minds of your ancestors and let us have a peek...

I say. Thats a rather sinister looking chap 3 or 4 rows back from the Bristol Rovers sign, wouldn't you agree ? Still, I'm sure he'll be nothing to worry about in 15 years or so's time.

Anyway, must dash. Those various children of mine aren't going to give themselves a DAMN good thrashing now are they. Excuse my french.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
My God sir, have you been in the opium den again? Don't you know the like of us are not worthy of such heights?

Next thing you'll know, those frail creatures with breasts and vaginas will be trying to kick balls into the back door. Perish the thought.

I had the most distasteful of dreams the other night. I fear my wife peppered the beef too much. I dreamed of the new Empire Stadium, in slick and futuristic glory. Twas a beautiful site, the crowd aplenty and in stunning colour. You mention of opium, I wonder if that my sweet had salted with it. Until a nightmarish scene. Women, of ample frontage, and showing much leg, came trotting onto the field. The crowd did roar in a fiendish and screeching manner, I tell you, yet like obedient angels they stood to the national anthem.

But then, as the clouds rolled in, they began to play our sacred game like menfolk. Twas the most offensive sight to see. A goal is scored, of the most ugly sort, and those husseys did kiss and hug...And pray God I never see such sporting adultery again. Except the kissing and hugging, perhaps. Whatever next ? Is the vote not enough ? But twas only a dream, despite my feverish awakening. Arising, I saw my delicate little lamb, there in the kitchen ironing my clobber. I was back. We shall be marking the condiment pots with much clarity hence.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I had the most distasteful of dreams the other night. I fear my wife peppered the beef too much. I dreamed of the new Empire Stadium, in slick and futuristic glory. Twas a beautiful site, the crowd aplenty and in stunning colour. You mention of opium, I wonder if that my sweet had salted with it. Until a nightmarish scene. Women, of ample frontage, and showing much leg, came trotting onto the field. The crowd did roar in a fiendish and screeching manner, I tell you, yet like obedient angels they stood to the national anthem.

But then, as the clouds rolled in, they began to play our sacred game like menfolk. Twas the most offensive sight to see. A goal is scored, of the most ugly sort, and those husseys did kiss and hug...And pray God I never see such sporting adultery again. Except the kissing and hugging, perhaps. Whatever next ? Is the vote not enough ? But twas only a dream, despite my feverish awakening. Arising, I saw my delicate little lamb, there in the kitchen ironing my clobber. I was back. We shall be marking the condiment pots with much clarity hence.

This is totally out of place in 1922. Women's football was extremely popular in the early 20s and played to big crowds - in 1920, Dick, Kerr Ladies pulled in 50,000 spectators. The FA were so worried that the game would be more popular than the men's that they banned women from using grounds from any club in the FA.

NSC in 1922 would know a) that there was absolutely no chance of women playing at the new Empire Stadium and b) would not be at all shocked by women playing football

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
E283D32B-3D00-42DB-9EDC-FC4FFDC58AAC.jpeg

Don’t mention the war

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here