Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Notting Hill Carnival

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
First time for 3 years this is going to be live, such a thrill. Anyone else going this year?? Should be an absolute hoot.

:O

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Stop, now. If you want to draw out the racists there are better ways of doing it. And better forums. Try the Argus online. :shrug:

I fully agree people getting killed and injured at Bank Holiday events is terrible, although curiously people tend to focus on the largely black Notting Hill Carnival as opposed to the largely white Reading festival for reasons I can't put my finger on.

Three die at music events over English bank holiday weekend

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-62719530

Just the one murder, eight sexual assaults and 209 arrests. Nothing to see here, move along now.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Just the one murder, eight sexual assaults and 209 arrests. Nothing to see here, move along now.

Laaandan. Big carnival. Everyone in London , I mean everyone goes. People with beef run into each other, drunks get into fights, purse-dippers and pick pockets dive in etc etc

Contrary to what people want to believe*, it’s not solely black teenagers stabbing each other.

Even Leeds festival turned to turmoil this weekend and that’s largely middle class white kids, dropped off by Mummy and given spending money.

*I’m not suggesting you think that.

Dec 29, 2011
Laaandan. Big carnival. Everyone in London , I mean everyone goes. People with beef run into each other, drunks get into fights, purse-dippers and pick pockets dive in etc etc

Contrary to what people want to believe*, it’s not solely black teenagers stabbing each other.

Even Leeds festival turned to turmoil this weekend and that’s largely middle class white kids, dropped off by Mummy and given spending money.

*I’m not suggesting you think that.

Although I agree, the fact is the black population is majorly over represented in crime and prison statistics. To suggest the reason for this is the colour of skin or attitude of an ethnic group is racist. To overlook the fact this group has been systematically disadvantaged in this country since a huge influx in 1950 would be shying away from the problem. Of course BAME groups will have higher crime rates if they have lower incomes, fewer opportunities, more exposure to unfair police, school and court systems. It's a huge problem in this country made much worse by racists and those who don't want to address the problem.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Although I agree, the fact is the black population is majorly over represented in crime and prison statistics. To suggest the reason for this is the colour of skin or attitude of an ethnic group is racist. To overlook the fact this group has been systematically disadvantaged in this country since a huge influx in 1950 would be shying away from the problem. Of course BAME groups will have higher crime rates if they have lower incomes, fewer opportunities, more exposure to unfair police, school and court systems. It's a huge problem in this country made much worse by racists and those who don't want to address the problem.

100% agree.

As an aside, if rich white folks and politicians got arrested and imprisoned for the crimes they commit daily, including internet moguls who breach strict data protection laws billions of times every day, if they were held to account? It would make black on black crime pale into insignificance.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Thank goodness for your diligent monitoring of the news. We would be lost without you. I hope the stabbing didn't spoil your enjoyment of the carnival. Personally I never go - it doesn't interest me :shrug:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Thank goodness for your diligent monitoring of the news. We would be lost without you. I hope the stabbing didn't spoil your enjoyment of the carnival. Personally I never go - it doesn't interest me :shrug:

You are very welcome Harry. I like to think people are allowed to debate without fear of being shut down by those who do not want to hear uncomfortable truths. I am sure you would not want things swept under the carpet either.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You are very welcome Harry. I like to think people are allowed to debate without fear of being shut down by those who do not want to hear uncomfortable truths. I am sure you would not want things swept under the carpet either.

I suppose the issue is whether the carnival is in the public interest or not. It has always been seething with criminality but the people who attend appear to be OK with that. The numbers you quote are far lower than I would have expected, and way down on what they used to be. As I say I wouldn't go (in part because the level of criminality appears to be beyond what I'm comfortable with). I wouldn't go to a music festival for much the same reasons (one day at Reading in 1975 was enough for me, thank you very much :lolol:)

Did you have any point you wished to make with the post? Do you think it should be banned, or that there is something about it in particular that the nation should be pondering?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Nobody is shutting you down though are they? We're just rolling our collective eyes at your stupidly simplistic but predictably self-righteous comment, exactly as you might see at the bottom of a Daily Express article covering the carnival. As has been said, more people died at the Reading/Leeds festivals.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I suppose the issue is whether the carnival is in the public interest or not. It has always been seething with criminality but the people who attend appear to be OK with that. The numbers you quote are far lower than I would have expected, and way down on what they used to be. As I say I wouldn't go (in part because the level of criminality appears to be beyond what I'm comfortable with). I wouldn't go to a music festival for much the same reasons (one day at Reading in 1975 was enough for me, thank you very much :lolol:)

Did you have any point you wished to make with the post? Do you think it should be banned, or that there is something about it in particular that the nation should be pondering?

Strangely enough the figure that most surprised me was the number of reports of sexual assault. Is it really a common everyday occurrence, or has the definition changed dramatically over time?

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Strangely enough the figure that most surprised me was the number of reports of sexual assault. Is it really a common everyday occurrence, or has the definition changed dramatically over time?

Nope, the definition hasn't changed. People being groped (or worse) is sexual assault and always has been, but now people feel empowered to speak out about it, rather than keep quiet and live with it like they would have in the Good Old Days.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
8 sexual assaults doesn't seem that high at an event attended by 2 million people. I mean, it's 8 too many but it's hardly surprising.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here