Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Notre Dame Cathedral Paris One Year Ago

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
One Year ago Notre Dame Cathedral was ravaged by fire and much interest was shown on this Forum.
Last evening BBC 4 screened a programme showing what work was being done to repair the damage. Found it very interesting and recommend it.
The programme is available on BBC iPlayer.

ANdy1

Apr 20, 2022
Thank you for reminding about it. Need to see this programme about Notre Dame De Paris

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
BBC2 doc about the renovating work, starting right now.

I found it fascinating. The knowledge and skills used in the 13th century even down to using metal staples in the stones to keep them stable. The forestier selecting suitable oak trees for the timber, but most of all I noticed the enthusiasm and pride in all the work being done.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I found it fascinating. The knowledge and skills used in the 13th century even down to using metal staples in the stones to keep them stable. The forestier selecting suitable oak trees for the timber, but most of all I noticed the enthusiasm and pride in all the work being done.

Medieval cathedrals are incredible. Working with just wooden scaffolding, creating that stunning vaulted steeling over 100’ up, 800 years ago. Innovative architects and highly skilled craftsmen.

We’ve only been to the cathedrals at Exeter, Orléans and Salisbury. Will definitely visit the Notre-Dame when it reopens.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Medieval cathedrals are incredible. Working with just wooden scaffolding, creating that stunning vaulted steeling over 100’ up, 800 years ago. Innovative architects and highly skilled craftsmen.

We’ve only been to the cathedrals at Exeter, Orléans and Salisbury. Will definitely visit the Notre-Dame when it reopens.

My granddaughter is at Canterbury uni, so we went in January to spend the day with her. We went round the cathedral, saw the Martyrs corner and the stunning stained glass windows. It is 1400 years old, although obviously bits added on since then.
There is still a lot of scaffolding up at the moment but it was worth a visit. Our tickets are valid for a year, so granddaughter said she'll let us know when it comes down so we can visit again. Her graduation next year will be in there.

I've visited York, Portsmouth and Chichester too.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My granddaughter is at Canterbury uni, so we went in January to spend the day with her. We went round the cathedral, saw the Martyrs corner and the stunning stained glass windows. It is 1400 years old, although obviously bits added on since then.
There is still a lot of scaffolding up at the moment but it was worth a visit. Our tickets are valid for a year, so granddaughter said she'll let us know when it comes down so we can visit again. Her graduation next year will be in there.

I've visited York, Portsmouth and Chichester too.

I went there!

But as a 19 year old never one entered the cathedral, I had other interests at that age.

We’ve been to the Neo-Gothic cathedrals of Truro and the Anglican cathedral in Liverpool … which is vast, with a frightening trip to the roof.

CBCC9918-F7BA-4E31-B3DB-35B9042E5C29.png

On one of our Albion away weekends.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Went to see the Lincoln Imp yesterday. Got a year’s entry for gift aiding my ticket, but probably won’t use it because of the distance.

Also been to Exeter, Coventry, Winchester and Salisbury. And Notre Dame.

It’s the architecture and history that draws this lifelong atheist into Cathedrals.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
My 2 favourites in England are Ely and Durham. Apart from Notre Dame, two worth visiting in France are Chartres and Albi both very different from each other. I'm sure that anyone who has visited Barcelona has been to the Sagrada Familia, not yet finished after a hundred and forty years and no surety that it will eventually be designated as a Cathedral.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire

I'm lucky to live in a Cathedral city, it is the oldest, tallest and most beautiful building for miles around. I am blown away by it most days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here