Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Notice for intended termination of rivalry - Sign Up Here

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Can't rewrite history. They ARE our rivals.

But you don't have to rewrite history: Luton, Bournemouth etc were our rivals before them. That's not changed. To suggest though, as others have, that rivalries never shift simply isn't true.

As I keep saying (until someone agrees with me...could be a while I know...) all these recent incidents with Southampton - no guard of honour, Adkins' keeping up nonsense, their fans' and the club's overall demented arrogance - all these events massively outweigh the 70s events that originally brought about the Palace rivalry in the 70s. I know who I hate more at the moment.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not sure if you're fishing? Anyway the OP wasn't, but despite it being explained some people still haven't got it. I'll try again.

About 20 years ago a Palace fanzine (can't remember which one) issued us with a 'Termination of Rivalry' notice. They said that as we were now so shit and they were now so much bigger and better than us it was better if we both looked for rivals that were more appropriate. It was done in jest, a bit of piss-taking at our expense. The OP was merely suggesting we could now do the same thing back to them.

And I bet he wishes he hadn't bothered now! So many people have taken it the wrong way, I guess they weren't around 20 years ago when Palace did it. It was quite a big thing at the time.
It was Eagle Eye, and the irony is that BOTH clubs were higher in the league than either of them are now!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Come off it. You've taken one point from 2 games against us and you're claiming to be better than us?
There's not a lot in it. 4 points in fact. So at the moment, we are 4 points better than you. We beat Cardiff 3-1 at their place, but that doesn't mean we're better than them. It goes on league position, not head to heads.
We're getting average attendances in a poor stadium that is still miles better than the Withdean was.
Agreed, it is miles better than the Withdean.
Quite how you think we're set for the lower leagues I'll never understand. Also the joke about us being a selling club was quite funny
I think the suggestion that you're headed for the lower leagues is also a piss take.

Dawn Korus

Oct 17, 2010
Christmas Island
Ahhhh, didums! You couldn't beat us last night so we have the bragging rights for this year so you want to give up the rivalry! And please explain point 5 in more detail Sir?? The future is bright for us in many ways matey, we might play in a shithole but the PLAYING/COACHING STAFF is what matters and we will be even or ahead of you in that regard, i have no doubt. Williams and Zaha are talents that you can't get close too and will only get better in the next 2 years. If we do sell them, we will be looking at a combined £15-18 million for the 2 of them and we can build a whole new team twice over with that. The futures bright, the futures the Palace academy!

We will have bragging rights if we finish above you this season, good job that you beat us at our place otherwise you'd be even further behind. Everything about Brighton is streets ahead of Palace at the moment - fans, ground and team.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Im glad a few on here are talking sense . To have a rivalry both sets of fans have to dislike each other and it cant be one way ( charlton ) We both manage this quite well . So if it aint broke dont fix it . Dont kid yourselfs , no one whould hate you like us and your arrogance atm will only make this grow stronger :wink:

serial thriller

I'm a Palace fan
Aug 7, 2011
Some of you lot are so sad.

The fact that you started a thread having a go at us shows that you care about us.

It's like, just because for the first time in many, many years you're above us in the league, you think you're going to just leave us behind. Southampton don't care about you - or if they do, they care about you a lot less than they do about Portsmouth. You can't just draw a line and say 'ok, forget years of history, they're our rivals now because I say so'. And we'll bounce back, we're just growing slowly, building the foundations in our squad to become a good side.

I was disappointed with the attendance last night, especially as we got 20k + for Cardiff. I just think the game came at a bad time, but even so, there are no excuses. I like to think that when we get our new ground we'll be getting 25k + every week, who knows. But be it 5k or 35k, I, as well as mnay other Palace fans will hate Brighton as many Brighton fans hate us.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
If Palace do get more than £10 million for Zaha, does anyone think they will pay more than 10p in the pound

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Sorry that was meant to say,If Palace do get more than £10 million for Zaha, does anyone think they will pay more than 10p in the pound next time they go into administration?

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
Always hate Palace, why do people have to change things. But you could see
the old bill making it difficult for Home and Away supporters and and at times the way they controlled things and could easily make me feel like I can't be bothered to go to Selhurst next season.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
I've always understood the Pompey Southampton rivalry had nothing to do with football but over a docks strike. Portsmouth dockers were on strike and Southampton dockers were shipped in to work hence why they call them Scummers. Assume its true

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Many years ago, Gullseye reported upon a similar article in the Palace Fanzine.

Can we seriously consider this pathetic lot as serious rivals anymore.

1 - Can't fill their ground when we are in town

2 - Play goal music ( Enough said )

3 - Any team who's fans bang a f***** drum for 90 minutes, to cover for the total lack of vocal support is just plain wrong. Did not hear one chant from them all game.

4 - They have about 40 children who jump up and down occasionally, cannott be heard. .. . . . and then have the audacity to call themselves Ultra's.

5 - They are heading for the lower reaches of English Football, whilst clearly we are heading for bigger and better things.

Time to forget about Palace. After next season we won't play them for years.

All the above mean nothing, may I remind you we didn't beat them this season ! !

eaglejez

Apr 23, 2004
Many years ago, Gullseye reported upon a similar article in the Palace Fanzine.

Can we seriously consider this pathetic lot as serious rivals anymore.

1 - Can't fill their ground when we are in town

2 - Play goal music ( Enough said )

3 - Any team who's fans bang a f***** drum for 90 minutes, to cover for the total lack of vocal support is just plain wrong. Did not hear one chant from them all game.

4 - They have about 40 children who jump up and down occasionally, cannott be heard. .. . . . and then have the audacity to call themselves Ultra's.

5 - They are heading for the lower reaches of English Football, whilst clearly we are heading for bigger and better things.

Time to forget about Palace. After next season we won't play them for years.

try beating us first :)

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Some of you lot are so sad.

The fact that you started a thread having a go at us shows that you care about us.

It's like, just because for the first time in many, many years you're above us in the league, you think you're going to just leave us behind. Southampton don't care about you - or if they do, they care about you a lot less than they do about Portsmouth. You can't just draw a line and say 'ok, forget years of history, they're our rivals now because I say so'. And we'll bounce back, we're just growing slowly, building the foundations in our squad to become a good side.

I was disappointed with the attendance last night, especially as we got 20k + for Cardiff. I just think the game came at a bad time, but even so, there are no excuses. I like to think that when we get our new ground we'll be getting 25k + every week, who knows. But be it 5k or 35k, I, as well as mnay other Palace fans will hate Brighton as many Brighton fans hate us.
You will find that 99% of albion fans don't give a shite about saints and never have,sadly every club has many fans that hate diffrent clubs and this is common all over country.

The days of old fashion feisty derbies are long gone sadly,even the live pompey v saints game was nout special and very subdued.

Crenol

Jan 22, 2012
You will find that 99% of albion fans don't give a shite about saints and never have,sadly every club has many fans that hate diffrent clubs and this is common all over country.

The days of old fashion feisty derbies are long gone sadly,even the live pompey v saints game was nout special and very subdued.

Think the fact that one was subdued was mostly down to having to make it a bubble game due to the hatred.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The arrogance of us at times beggars belief, we are extremely lucky to be where we are now through one person - Tony Bloom.

Yes Selhurst is a shit ground compared to now but it would not have been had we played them last season.

CPFC will remain our rivals for ever in a day in my view and if CPFC need help and support to move on to a new ground just remember how much they helped our cause and also how much time CPFC have given to make REMF what it is.

Andyjohnson

Feb 1, 2012
Dont be f***ing silly.

Palace stuck by us when we were in the shit and now the reverse applies. Charlton tried to "muscle in" on The Palace but they are OURS.

Besides isnt it nice to LOOK DOWN on your rivals?

Bloody ell, the arrogance is unbelievable. "Palace stuck by us when we were in the shit and now the reverse applies"
Sorry but i think you lot might have missed something here. You didnt actually manage to beat us this year, but we're too shit for the rivalry now? Thanks for sticking by us though, really appreciate it Brighton. Not only did you not manage to beat us but we totally embaressed you in you own back yard
At the moment we're on a pretty similar level, mid table championship clubs. Now I agree that you lot are moving forward nicely and I expect you to strengthen more than us over the summer and it will be more difficult for us to go unbeaten against you over the two games next year. However i dont think we're in as dire straits as you lot make out. We've been in massive decline for the past 10 years but we've turned a corner with good new owners, a good young manager and some talented young players. So dont go running of for new rivals just yet seaweed boys and girls. I'd wish you good luck for the rest of the season but i wouldnt mean it :) Looking forward to next years 2 games

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here