Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nothing to cry about.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I tend to think it's a necessary wake-up call to the board. Breaking up the Stephens Kayal partnership will have big consequences - if it's going to happen then Hughton will need more help to reproduce the over performance of last season

It has already had big consequences, we suffered a 6 point swing to a promotion rival. A team whose absences meant they were there for the taking.

I doubt there were many people watching the game that thought Sidwell should have come back out at HT. Just reinforces that Dale was just there for show and never going to come on for any reason.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It has already had big consequences, we suffered a 6 point swing to a promotion rival. A team whose absences meant they were there for the taking.

I doubt there were many people watching the game that thought Sidwell should have come back out at HT. Just reinforces that Dale was just there for show and never going to come on for any reason.

That seems a fair assessment. I was 1 of those surprised. I expected to see DS coming on. I wonder if we will be saying in May if only at Newcastle.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
A good example is Stephens, if he does go then Norwood will be his natural replacement, if he doesn't then Norwood will be a satisfactory stand in, if and when needed. I think all is calm at Amex Towers, its just the fans that are panicking.

Again, they are a different mould of midfielder and there's no way he was signed as a replacement in my mind. Even if that were the case, it takes time to bed-in so why aren't we trying to form an understanding between Kayal and Norwood instead of playing Sidwell who is more in line with what Stephens gave us, just older and not as good?

If you think we'll be challenging for top 2, which is the chairman's aim, with Kayal, Sidwell, Norwood and Ince as our central midfielders then you're in dreamland. If Stephens goes, we need an as good or better replacement which will be a massive task at this stage I feel.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Again, they are a different mould of midfielder and there's no way he was signed as a replacement in my mind. Even if that were the case, it takes time to bed-in so why aren't we trying to form an understanding between Kayal and Norwood instead of playing Sidwell who is more in line with what Stephens gave us, just older and not as good?

If you think we'll be challenging for top 2, which is the chairman's aim, with Kayal, Sidwell, Norwood and Ince as our central midfielders then you're in dreamland. If Stephens goes, we need an as good or better replacement which will be a massive task at this stage I feel.

Maybe CH wanted to call on Sidwells experience with our 'style' of play at this early stage of the season. If Stephens does go I expect Norwood to be slotted in to attempt to form a decent partnership with Kayal.

I haven't said we will be challenging for top 2, in the games I have seen nothing so far that has given me that top 2 feeling. I think top 6 will be a good achievement again.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Maybe CH wanted to call on Sidwells experience with our 'style' of play at this early stage of the season. If Stephens does go I expect Norwood to be slotted in to attempt to form a decent partnership with Kayal.

I haven't said we will be challenging for top 2, in the games I have seen nothing so far has given me that top 2 feeling. I think top 6 will be a good achievement again.

I didn't say you said it, I said TB has said it, twice.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have not been impressed with Norwoods contribution but those that matter at the club have. I dont think he has done anything wrong but he does not seem a ready made replacement for Stephens.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Transcription from TB end of season review:

Getting to the playoffs three times out of the last four seasons is an achievement but it makes us even more determined that next season we want to go up and we want to be top 2.

So, yes I'm in agreement that further quality needs to be brought into the side to give us a realistic chance of achieving that aim. Hopefully that quality will be landed, otherwise it's going to take a lot of optimism to believe we are likely to end up the second best side in the division. Even more so, if Stephens is sold.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here