Not The Manager's Fault Today

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
To play the Oscar way we need a class midfielder ala Vincente to pull the strings, unfortunately David Lopez has lost form from last year, Orlandi has been injured and JFC and Andrews just arn't that player. More worryingly this is the second manager we have had that doesn't seem to have a plan B, except to throw Lua Lua on for the last 10 minutes of a game. Questions need to be asked about the purchase of Augustine as I'm sure he was brought in to fill the creative roll.

There's something in this I think. I don't dislike Oscar at all. However, for the system he and Poyet favour, we need the right players. The club's decided this is the tactical approach that will bring success and to a large extent that's proved true so far. However, at the level we've now reached, we don't currently dominate games enough in midfield to make the formation attacking. Without Crofts, it's very rare for the central players to get into the box beyond Ulloa.

Either the club has to find the money in the summer to buy players that are better in this system (probably not possible) or long term reconsider whether it's definitely the right approach to pursue. When CMS is back, for instance, if Albion are to abide by FFP, then the question has to be asked whether the club can afford to stick to one system to the detriment of talented players already on its books.

Ulloa and CMS as a central pairing looks potentially very strong. But Oscar may not do that and why should he? The club understood his philosophy and it's the major reason they took him on.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Do you think Garcia & Ulloa practised taking a single penalty last week in training?

He a professional footballer. He should be practicing that on his own. Being able to score from 12 yards, 1 on 1, with as much time as you like should be a prerequisite for a multi million pound football player.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Do you think Garcia & Ulloa practised taking a single penalty last week in training?

I would question what they do practice in training if you saw the performance near the end of the game when we got a free kick near their penalty box and 3 players stood apparently arguing over who was going to take it and w.hat to do with it.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Oh, I think OG has to take the blame. Why did he put JFC on for Buckley? Also, why has he set the team up in such a defensive fashion?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Oh, I think OG has to take the blame. Why did he put JFC on for Buckley? Also, why has he set the team up in such a defensive fashion?

Why didnt he bring on Rodriguez when Buckley went off instead of JFC. Most peole are saying it should have been Lua Lua or March but I think the speed of Rodriguez would have been crucial.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
They seriously don't look like they want to play for him anymore we had one shot ONE from outside the area WHY ??????
It it Oscar that tells the team the days tactics , formation , etc etc what they are doing what HE tells them to because HE is the gaffer, no ?????
Ulloa just simply looks completely uninterested as do a lot of them, probably because his tactics , formation, style of play, and orders are restricting them from doing a better job than they can same as Poyet did.
Sam Vokes is a prime example when we had him people said " oh he's just shit " errrm helllllloooo twenty odd goals already for Burnley this season. Because he is in a team that play the right sort of football for this division.
We should never ever have let Barnes go either , goal scorer and goal maker, terrible decision .
Chris Woods he's cak !!!
Really ???? I don't think so, not that Oscar was here then but you get what I mean I'm sure.
All in all we dont score goals because we are

A. Extremely predictable
B. Restricted by another Manager who refuses to allow players to play to their own strengths and has NO plan B AGAIN !!!!
C. Pretty unfit by the looks of it, at this level anyway.
D. Have some players in the squad who are League 1 at best.
E. Has started rotating the squad at this level of football WTF ???????? Leaving out perfectly good players like Dale Stephens yesterday WHY ???
F. Has an assistant Manager who is fecking mental !!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Yes I agree, I groaned at the starting line up, but was placated a bit by Lopez being given a creative central role. When Buckley went off to be replaced by JFC, we may as well have told 'Boro, look this match is yours if you want it as we're setting up not to lose. I actually thought JFC did okay when he came on. I guess my biggest issue is ANDREWS. I do not know how he is getting as much game time as he's getting. We'd have looked better with JFC and Ince starting.

Why didnt he bring on Rodriguez when Buckley went off instead of JFC. Most peole are saying it should have been Lua Lua or March but I think the speed of Rodriguez would have been crucial.

The pace bit is the crucial aspect for me. It felt like it was blindingly obvious, even to my 7 year old son, that we need some pace on the pitch. Not sure which of those 3 would have been preferable - any of them other than sticking JFC on and putting Lopez out wide. I really don't know what OG was thinking - probably how to keep it even tighter than we were, when really we should have been more concerned with our lack of goal threat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports