Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] NOT the 25 Man Squad - Loans, transfers and rumours

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I always see Matt Clarke as a bit of an insurance purchase. Yes in an ideal world he'd have progressed to say least make the PL squad occasionally, but in a less than ideal world where we got relegated we'd have had a very good championship CB on tap as the vultures circled dunk et al.
Ostigard and Clarke as your championship CBs is pretty decent.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I keep seeing references to Van Hecke not being in Potter's plans, and imminent loan out etc etc.
However, I have never seen anything from the club about it.
Have I missed it?

Can someone point me in the direction of an official quote or similar, or is this another classic case of somebody speculating on NSC on a thread and people subsequently taking the speculation as gospel?

As others have said, the club very rarely speculate on ins and outs. The (credible) source for this is Naylor.

https://twitter.com/andynaylorbhafc/status/1561311246229667840?s=21&t=xVTFiVRf2Mx9BVcqeRKFSw

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I always see Matt Clarke as a bit of an insurance purchase. Yes in an ideal world he'd have progressed to say least make the PL squad occasionally, but in a less than ideal world where we got relegated we'd have had a very good championship CB on tap as the vultures circled dunk et al.
Ostigard and Clarke as your championship CBs is pretty decent.

If it wasn't for Covid, I'm pretty sure he would have been sold with a £3m profit or so maybe two years ago.

Graham was scouting him for Swansea and apparently liked what he saw and must have been the one pushing to get him to Brighton. But that was before (I think) GP had even seen his players in training - probably wasn't 100% aware of the required level to play in the PL.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
If it wasn't for Covid, I'm pretty sure he would have been sold with a £3m profit or so maybe two years ago.

Graham was scouting him for Swansea and apparently liked what he saw and must have been the one pushing to get him to Brighton. But that was before (I think) GP had even seen his players in training - probably wasn't 100% aware of the required level to play in the PL.

I prefer to think we hung onto him and pocketed a couple more loan fees so that we would end up selling for less than we paid, making sure Pompey's sell on clause was entirely worthless. But then I am pretty when it comes to the #twats.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I prefer to think we hung onto him and pocketed a couple more loan fees so that we would end up selling for less than we paid, making sure Pompey's sell on clause was entirely worthless. But then I am pretty when it comes to the #twats.

I bet you can be quite petty, as well!
However, if you mean you doll yourself up to impress Pompey....still no judgement

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Another One out the door - Matt Clarke has gone to Middlesbrough on a permanent deal. Shame for the lad really, he's done everything asked of him since joining us, and had a superb record out on loan (POTS two seasons out of three). Oh well, I hope he goes on to have a good career. Being a Champio,ship footballer ain't bad - I'm sure many of us on NSC would have bitten our arm off to play at that level!
Good luck Matt.

On a separate note, I wonder why this thread doesn't come up on searches? The'25 man squad' thread comes up when you search for this one, but the 'NOT the 25' thread - nowhere to be seen on searches!

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Three days to go now - getting exciting - who's going out on loan? There's a long list of possibles ...............

Offiah;
Tsoungui;
Turns;
Furlong;
Spong;
Miller;
Peupion;
Ferguson;
Enciso;
.........and ....... please! Andone!

Incoming? Don't expect much, except maybe someone for the 'yoof' squad (which would be more than a tad light if all, or even most, of the above do get loans!)

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I doubt many of the U21s will go on loan unless playing the U18s and getting relegated is the plan :shrug:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Three days to go now - getting exciting - who's going out on loan? There's a long list of possibles ...............

Offiah;
Tsoungui;
Turns;
Furlong;
Spong;
Miller;
Peupion;
Ferguson;
Enciso;
Koslowski;
.........and ....... please! Andone!

Incoming? Don't expect much, except maybe someone for the 'yoof' squad (which would be more than a tad light if all, or even most, of the above do get loans!)

Koslowski went to Vitesse Arnham on loan a couple of weeks ago.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I doubt many of the U21s will go on loan unless playing the U18s and getting relegated is the plan :shrug:
Exactly. If most of them went, the U21s would be more than a tad light - hence we might have to buy in some for the 'yoof' team. Don't think for a minute all of them will go out on loan though, even though they're all probably ready for one. The question is, which ones (if any) will go out?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Wasn't there some talk of Van Hecke going to Sunderland on loan? Idea seems to have been knocked on the head, but now that Sunderland have appointed Tony Mowbray (surely a shockingly backward move?) I'm sure he'd love to be re-acquainted with young JPVH! Will there be a further move from Sunderland, willing to pay the apparantly large loan fee required, or is JPVH firmly inked in for our squad for this season?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Wasn't there some talk of Van Hecke going to Sunderland on loan? Idea seems to have been knocked on the head, but now that Sunderland have appointed Tony Mowbray (surely a shockingly backward move?) I'm sure he'd love to be re-acquainted with young JPVH! Will there be a further move from Sunderland, willing to pay the apparantly large loan fee required, or is JPVH firmly inked in for our squad for this season?

Read somewhere that the loan will only happen if he signs a new contract with us first. Also that it is looking less and less likely to go ahead.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

Not going anywhere unless we sign a more experienced CB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Alzate off to WBA on loan - hope they think more of him than they do of Molumby! Good luck to th lad - back to us after his year loan? - or sold for a decent price with a year left on his contract next summer?
Zac Emmerson off to Blackpool on a permanent deal. Bit of a surprise, and nor very welcome, TBH. Hope we havea huge sell-on clause.

That looks like it now for this window.

Last edited:

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Did Alzate go?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here