Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] NOT the 25 Man Squad - Loans, transfers and rumours

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
Strange signing Clarke. Had 2 championship loans when he was outstanding. As a left footer thought he may be needed but instead loan a player from Chelsea.signed. £2m for a CB that has proved himself in championship for 2 seasons seems very cheap. We may have paid more for Gordon Greer.

We paid £250,000 for Greer

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
If both head elsewhere this summer does that leave just Colwill as centre back cover for when we play a back three/five? Or am I missing anyone obvious from the senior squad?

Dunk, Webster, Veltman as the back 3, with Colwill as the back up feels short to me. But I guess Estupinan could play left of a back 3, or other youngsters like Turns and Tsoungui might be seen as options.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Dunk, Webster, Veltman as the back 3, with Colwill as the back up feels short to me. But I guess Estupinan could play left of a back 3, or other youngsters like Turns and Tsoungui might be seen as options.

I guess we will keep Van Hecke now rather than another loan for him.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Clarke perm to Boro - £2.25m apparently.

[tweet]1562034045856382977[/tweet]

Good move for him I think, good opportunity to re-start his career
Re-start it? It's never stopped - he's been going fine for the last three years in The Championship, including POTS twice. Terrific bargain for Middlesbrough, getting him with three years top championship experience for less than we paid to pluck him out of League 1. I suppose loan fees, and however much of his wages the loaning clubs paid will have lessened the losses.
Always the feedback from where he was on loan was that he gave absolutely 100%. Shame he never got so much as a sniff of the PL with us, but good luck to him. I'm sure he'll have a great career at Championship level - and at the end of the day, that's not a bad thing!

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Re-start it? It's never stopped - he's been going fine for the last three years in The Championship, including POTS twice. Terrific bargain for Middlesbrough, getting him with three years top championship experience for less than we paid to pluck him out of League 1. I suppose loan fees, and however much of his wages the loaning clubs paid will have lessened the losses.
Always the feedback from where he was on loan was that he gave absolutely 100%. Shame he never got so much as a sniff of the PL with us, but good luck to him. I'm sure he'll have a great career at Championship level - and at the end of the day, that's not a bad thing!

And at least he escaped from Portsmouth!!!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Shame he never got so much as a sniff of the PL with us, but good luck to him. I'm sure he'll have a great career at Championship level - and at the end of the day, that's not a bad thing!

He might go on to play many EPL games. However, if you look at the ceiling of our recent signings (think Cucu, Pervis and Caicedo) we’re looking at top six level. I’m sure he’d be good enough for a Bournemouth or Fulham but we look for a different level now.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He might go on to play many EPL games. However, if you look at the ceiling of our recent signings (think Cucu, Pervis and Caicedo) we’re looking at top six level. I’m sure he’d be good enough for a Bournemouth or Fulham but we look for a different level now.

In which case I'd rather we'd sold him to a club on that level - double the fee at Least!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We don’t know what level of wages we’ve covered or have been paid by Derby and West Brom. Additionally we don’t talk about wages we’ve paid someone like Cucurella when we sold him, we just compare the two transfer fees. So I don’t really see the point of worrying about wages when we look at what we’ve made/loss when one of our loan army gets sold.

We don't talk about wages when we nuy a player for £15M and sell hin fr £60M less than a year later, that's true - but the sustainability project, as some have told us on NSC over and over again, is based on buying cheap and moving them on, often without playing for the Albion, and turning over small profits by consistantly doing that. Hopefully there will be a succession of big ones - White, Biss, Cucu and whoever's next, just as there's going to be occasions when we drop a bollock - Locadia, Jahanbakhsh, etc. - but the core is small profits for core business.
So making a loss (if we have) isn't good.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A bit low yes, but last year of his contract isnt it? and obviously not in our first team plans. Kind of limits the leverage we have to ask for a better fee.

Probably the biggest , or one of the biggest fees in the Champ this summer. Nearly all the EFL business these days and in recent season has been loans, frees or small fees.
Yes, I get the last year of his contract bit (except apparantly it isn't - we've got a one year option. Apparantly).

Yes, I get that the Championship clubs (those without parachute payments of course\) are skint - but so are many households and that doesn't stop Tesbury's asking and getting 10% more for a loaf of bread, back of spuds, jar of coffee, whatever. I'm not saying the club do not know what they're doing (so please don't feel the need to come storming to their defence) but I will stick to my original opinion that Middlesbrough have got themselves one helluva good bargain!

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
If we loan Van Hecke, surely we’ve got another CB incoming.

I keep seeing references to Van Hecke not being in Potter's plans, and imminent loan out etc etc.
However, I have never seen anything from the club about it.
Have I missed it?

Can someone point me in the direction of an official quote or similar, or is this another classic case of somebody speculating on NSC on a thread and people subsequently taking the speculation as gospel?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
We don't talk about wages when we nuy a player for £15M and sell hin fr £60M less than a year later, that's true - but the sustainability project, as some have told us on NSC over and over again, is based on buying cheap and moving them on, often without playing for the Albion, and turning over small profits by consistantly doing that. Hopefully there will be a succession of big ones - White, Biss, Cucu and whoever's next, just as there's going to be occasions when we drop a bollock - Locadia, Jahanbakhsh, etc. - but the core is small profits for core business.
So making a loss (if we have) isn't good.

I think you've got the way we are going to become a sustainable club completely wrong. No Premier League club will be sustainable by making micro profits on the players that are not quite good enough. Sure we hope every once in a while we get a Leo Ostigard or an Ales Mateju who we move on for a decent profit despite them never really bothering the first team. In an ideal world we make a small profit on the rest but that is not always possible so losses along the way are inevitable.

The real sustainability will come from the profits we make from the likes of Ben White, Yves Bissouma, Marc Cucurella and in the future the likes of Robert Sanchez, Moises Caicedo and those that follow. The players that make and improve the first team, push us further up the table and command the big transfer fee's, plus the likes of Lewis Dunk and Solly March who cost nothing and then spend a majority of their careers improving with us meaning we earn more in prize money and Television revenue and can continue to attract the players that will eventually earn us the big transfer fees.

Putting it another way, how many Matt Clarkes would we have to sell to turn enough of a profit to buy a Marc Cucurella or a Pervis Estupiñán? They aren't the ones that will hopefully make the club sustainable. They are the loss leaders that inevitably come with trying to develop cheaper players (by normal Premier League fees) that might make it into the next big things, only a few are ever going to make it. What we've effectively done is taken the traditional academy system that used to lead to one or two boys being kept on beyond 16 and put it on steroids to try and find those gems.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I keep seeing references to Van Hecke not being in Potter's plans, and imminent loan out etc etc.
However, I have never seen anything from the club about it.
Have I missed it?

Can someone point me in the direction of an official quote or similar, or is this another classic case of somebody speculating on NSC on a thread and people subsequently taking the speculation as gospel?
No club quotes - but they rarely comment on rumours anyway.

Story in local Sunderland press and ( I think ) Naylor said Yes.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think you've got the way we are going to become a sustainable club completely wrong. No Premier League club will be sustainable by making micro profits on the players that are not quite good enough. Sure we hope every once in a while we get a Leo Ostigard or an Ales Mateju who we move on for a decent profit despite them never really bothering the first team. In an ideal world we make a small profit on the rest but that is not always possible so losses along the way are inevitable.

The real sustainability will come from the profits we make from the likes of Ben White, Yves Bissouma, Marc Cucurella and in the future the likes of Robert Sanchez, Moises Caicedo and those that follow. The players that make and improve the first team, push us further up the table and command the big transfer fee's, plus the likes of Lewis Dunk and Solly March who cost nothing and then spend a majority of their careers improving with us meaning we earn more in prize money and Television revenue and can continue to attract the players that will eventually earn us the big transfer fees.

Putting it another way, how many Matt Clarkes would we have to sell to turn enough of a profit to buy a Marc Cucurella or a Pervis Estupiñán? They aren't the ones that will hopefully make the club sustainable. They are the loss leaders that inevitably come with trying to develop cheaper players (by normal Premier League fees) that might make it into the next big things, only a few are ever going to make it. What we've effectively done is taken the traditional academy system that used to lead to one or two boys being kept on beyond 16 and put it on steroids to try and find those gems.

Yes, I never once tried to say the big money sales aren't handy - too right they are. We had White on the books for what, six years? Two and a half out on loan, the rest of time with us; not on huge wages I'm sure, but the training ground and the massive development team doesn't run itself without costing money. Looan fees and loan clubs paying his wages? - I shouldn't think Newport paid much, if anything. Leeds, a bit maybe.
So even the £50M wasn't all profit - all in all it probably covered what we lost on Locadia, and maybe part of what we lost on Jahanbakhsh. The core business of a lower level turnover remains just that - core.
Our incoming costs are going up too, which is something else to remember when selling bargains to Middlesbrough. We've paid more than that for some of our U21s!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

GT49er has previously said the club should make a profit on every player because thats apparently the "model". Good luck reaching into his brain with this basic information on how the reality works.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
GT49er has previously said the club should make a profit on every player because thats apparently the "model". Good luck reaching into his brain with this basic information on how the reality works.

Actually GT49er has never said that (although it would be a good aim, but obviously not possible in every case). Best get back to that spliff, Swannee, must be a good one tonight.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Yes, I get the last year of his contract bit (except apparantly it isn't - we've got a one year option. Apparantly).

Yes, I get that the Championship clubs (those without parachute payments of course\) are skint - but so are many households and that doesn't stop Tesbury's asking and getting 10% more for a loaf of bread, back of spuds, jar of coffee, whatever. I'm not saying the club do not know what they're doing (so please don't feel the need to come storming to their defence) but I will stick to my original opinion that Middlesbrough have got themselves one helluva good bargain!

Ha! Came storming to club defence and was a bit grumpy so deleted !!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here