Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] NOT the 25 Man Squad - Loans, transfers and rumours

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't know what to make of Matt Clarke or if he has a future here. It is almost as if his signing slipped through the system as a mistake and yet he seems a reasonable player.

I think he'll leave.
Yep - almost the forgotten man. Portsmouth swapped Adam Webster for him from Ipswich, and I'm sure I read some comments from Pompey fans that they rated him higher than Webster.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I don't know what to make of Matt Clarke or if he has a future here. It is almost as if his signing slipped through the system as a mistake and yet he seems a reasonable player.

I think he'll leave.

I do remember that GP was watching/scouting him just before he joined us. I also think he'll leave this window.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I'd happily see Ostigard/Van Hecke/Clarke added to our squad to fight for a place. Dunk, Veltman & Duffy are all 30+ so preparing a longer term replacement would be ideal

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'd happily see Ostigard/Van Hecke/Clarke added to our squad to fight for a place. Dunk, Veltman & Duffy are all 30+ so preparing a longer term replacement would be ideal

I think Osti is as good as gone, but I'd be happy with the other two. Van Hecke, I think, is very likely to feature - Clarke, not so sure, but would certainly be useful LCB cover while Roberts - our other lefty - goes out for a much needed loan to see if our early optimism about him becoming a first-teamer was justified (I'm beginning to have doubts).

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Naylor has this morning re-tweeted about his article in March highlighting that we are allowed a maximum of 8 loans to overseas clubs this season ( with further restrictions happening in the future ).

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Naylor has this morning re-tweeted about his article in March highlighting that we are allowed a maximum of 8 loans to overseas clubs this season ( with further restrictions happening in the future ).

Isn't there a limiting factor regarding age and HGP status to help us mitigate around such restrictions. I don't think that having less out on loan would be a massive impact to our first team but may mean that someone else can get into the Championship team of the year in CB rather than another of our loans

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Isn't there a limiting factor regarding age and HGP status to help us mitigate around such restrictions. I don't think that having less out on loan would be a massive impact to our first team but may mean that someone else can get into the Championship team of the year in CB rather than another of our loans

Naylor goes into how the exemptions work in his article.

I think the takeaway from all this is that we will be loaning out slightly less players in the future as the restrictions slowly tighten over 2-3 seasons.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Naylor goes into how the exemptions work in his article.

I think the takeaway from all this is that we will be loaning out slightly less over 21 players in the future as the restrictions slowly tighten over 2-3 seasons.
Age matters!

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Yep - almost the forgotten man. Portsmouth swapped Adam Webster for him from Ipswich, and I'm sure I read some comments from Pompey fans that they rated him higher than Webster.

Derby and Leeds fans were arguing a couple of seasons back about which of them had the best CB. Both thought they had the best CB in the division, and both were Brighton players on loan, Matt Clarke and Ben White. I think Matt Clarke has been unlucky in that we just have not needed him, I feel he was bought with half an expectation that Dunk would be headhunted by one of the bigger clubs, but with Burn sold, maybe this is his chance?
I am guessing we will want four CB's in the squad, obviously Dunk and Webster are starting most games, and assuming Ostigard is sold, it will be interesting to see which of Duffy, Van Hecke, Clarke and Roberts go or stay, all of them have just one year remaining of contract, my guess is Clarke and Duffy remain, and the other two go on loan, and longer term, I think we may well offer new contracts to all except Duffy.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Derby and Leeds fans were arguing a couple of seasons back about which of them had the best CB. Both thought they had the best CB in the division, and both were Brighton players on loan, Matt Clarke and Ben White. I think Matt Clarke has been unlucky in that we just have not needed him, I feel he was bought with half an expectation that Dunk would be headhunted by one of the bigger clubs, but with Burn sold, maybe this is his chance?
I am guessing we will want four CB's in the squad, obviously Dunk and Webster are starting most games, and assuming Ostigard is sold, it will be interesting to see which of Duffy, Van Hecke, Clarke and Roberts go or stay, all of them have just one year remaining of contract, my guess is Clarke and Duffy remain, and the other two go on loan, and longer term, I think we may well offer new contracts to all except Duffy.

Roberts needs to go out on loan, 100%. Hasn't had a sniff of PL action, even though occasionally on the bench. He hardly did a 'Ben White' on loan at Rochdale, so this is a big season for him. If we can find a good home for Duffy, I think that time has come.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
For some reason I thought he was a striker. But actually, that makes even less sense. That's probably Utrecht's strongest area.

Fair enough - I can see from your location that you will know a lot more about Utrecht's squad than I do! It appears that Utrecht are keen enough to offer to take him though. If he does opt for Utrecht we'll be relying on you for reports!

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Fair enough - I can see from your location that you will know a lot more about Utrecht's squad than I do! It appears that Utrecht are keen enough to offer to take him though. If he does opt for Utrecht we'll be relying on you for reports!

Yeah a couple of us Albion fans are season ticket holders. They have a youngish midfield already. The only possibility is if Quinten Timber goes off (The brother of Justin Timber who is linked to United) to PSV and Ajax and they feel Leonard will supplement that position.

I did see Leonard was linked to NAC Breda in April. I'm still curious why that didn't materialise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here