Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] not sure what arsenal are moaning about

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Shirt pulling goes on at every single corner but refs don't give penalties at every single corner. If they did then the shirt pulling will stop. Unfortunately refs are clueless and inconsistent.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Happy to be corrected, but if allowed within the rules I wish I had known when I played as a left back. Would have made marking pretty simple if I could have held on to opponent’s shirt for 90 minutes.

They’re laws not rules. ???

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Everyone loves moaning about how unfair it all is don’t they? Credit to Potter er al for not encouraging that kind of culture to set in here.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
This debate is itself evidence enough that they do have cause to complain. Even with VAR, and having seen it again, opinion is divided. For me that's too soft to be a pen. It's not like he ripped the shirt off his back, and he was flopping down in the standard 'I've been shot' fashion that's so familiar now. Ref was also quick to card Arsenal players and less so for City players. On top of all that, the result, which City can hardly argue they deserved, does the so-called title race no favours whatsoever.

Thought Arsenal were unfortunate. They're an example of how sticking with a plan through a lot of noise about the manager can pay off - or at least look like it's going to at the moment. The red was idiocy pure and simple, though. Booked for scuffing up the penalty spot, FFS.

The issue for me is that it’s a foul on the City player but the dive after was pathetic, so why don’t refs start giving these regardless of whether a player falls over or not? Pundits started the trend years ago with comments such as “ the ball was running away from him...” or “ it wasn’t a goal scoring chance...” implying that such fouls shouldn’t result in penalties. The test should be if it’s a foul anywhere else on the pitch then it’s a penalty.

The not given penalty against the City goalkeeper was a very close call but he did appear to just play the ball first so that one was a lot more subjective.

Either, very funny watching Arsenal implode with a crazy sending off!

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
The issue for me is that it’s a foul on the City player but the dive after was pathetic, so why don’t refs start giving these regardless of whether a player falls over or not? Pundits started the trend years ago with comments such as “ the ball was running away from him...” or “ it wasn’t a goal scoring chance...” implying that such fouls shouldn’t result in penalties. The test should be if it’s a foul anywhere else on the pitch then it’s a penalty.

The not given penalty against the City goalkeeper was a very close call but he did appear to just play the ball first so that one was a lot more subjective.

Either, very funny watching Arsenal implode with a crazy sending off!

I'm fairly certain he never touched the ball. He kicked the attacker's foot onto the ball.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Shirt pulling goes on at every single corner but refs don't give penalties at every single corner. If they did then the shirt pulling will stop. Unfortunately refs are clueless and inconsistent.

watford just shafted as well ....it just gets worse.

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
even though it was a pen the ref should have still booked him for diving as a shirtpull doesnt result in a full lenght swallow dive

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No, it's a horrendous decision. Diving should not be rewarded - if he had stayed on his feet there would not be any discussion at all. There will be contact like that between defenders and attackers on the box many times in every match

If Xhaka hadn’t pulled his shirt, it wouldn’t have been given, as would have stayed in the realm of ‘subjective’. Arsenal can have zero complaints IMO, except with their own player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here