Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not letting the Scots have the pound

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Your view isnt definitive, there are many that still feel that being part of the European Union is of financial benefit to us
I don't even disagree with that view. Of course there are benefits for us being part of the EU. There are some negatives too, and I don't think anyone really knows the reality of how they balance each other. My point was simply that Scotland not only get the benefits of being part of a union (with us), but they also get a massive financial boost, due to them earning less and claiming more than the rest of the country.

The one thing they could try and do, should they get independence, is become a tax haven, and tempt massive companies over there - close to London, but with huge tax breaks. No idea how well that would work though.

goldstone rocks

Feb 25, 2009
The old English currency was the groat.

The new Scottish version for the SNP fishes of Salmon and sturgeon could the Scroat

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I don't even disagree with that view. Of course there are benefits for us being part of the EU. There are some negatives too, and I don't think anyone really knows the reality of how they balance each other. My point was simply that Scotland not only get the benefits of being part of a union (with us), but they also get a massive financial boost, due to them earning less and claiming more than the rest of the country.

The one thing they could try and do, should they get independence, is become a tax haven, and tempt massive companies over there - close to London, but with huge tax breaks. No idea how well that would work though.

I tend to agree with your view, however I too was fed similar stories of imminent prosperity or imminent poverty depending on who you believed on the Euro debate and I suspect the Scottish debate offers something of the same.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I've got a few questions over this issue.

Firstly, how is the U.K bullying Scotland by saying there will be no monetary union if Scotland votes for independence. Surely it's well within the U.K's right to decide that?

Secondly, it's been stated that if the U.K don't let Scotland keep the pound then the newly independent Scotland won't accept any of the U.K's debt, debt accrued while Scotland was a full and active part of the U.K. Isn't that a) more of a bullying tactic than the U.K electing to not join monetary union with Scotland and b) isn't that a bit like the political equivalent of going into admin? They rack up a debt with the uk then split and start afresh with no debt?

Third) What are the legalities of Scotland refusing to pay their share of the U.K's debt? If it's legally acceptable that they don't have to, what would happen if the week before the Scottish vote for independence the English, Welsh and Northern Irish each had their own vote on independence and left Scotland holding the U.K flag and the entirety of its debt?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I think the currency issue is Westminsters ace card.

With so many Scottish nationals unsure of which way to vote, insecurity and concerns about a new currency and what issues that may bring will probably mean a no vote.

I agree, but I would have kept quiet on the whole currency issue. Leave it as a huge unknown.

I don't think UK government is boxing very clever on this one. Saying that you can't have the pound injects fear into the camapign (and anger) and that can work negatively and incite the unknowns into voting yes - especially if the SNP table an alternative, no matter how half brained it will be.

Also, I think Cameron was very unwise to make his speech on keeping the Union from London. By all means say something about it, but do it in Scotland, not in London. London represents everything that so many people despair of - whether you're a Cornishman, Welshman, Yorkshireman, Scotsman, Northern Irish or even from Sussex, London is seen to be the be all and end all of the UK and it's a problem that needs addressing. I think it's a powerhouse for the UK (and should remain so as it does benefit us all), but somehow UK government needs to ensure it is looking outside of the M25 and focusing on the needs of all UK citizens rather than just London.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I've got a few questions over this issue.

Firstly, how is the U.K bullying Scotland by saying there will be no monetary union if Scotland votes for independence. Surely it's well within the U.K's right to decide that?

Secondly, it's been stated that if the U.K don't let Scotland keep the pound then the newly independent Scotland won't accept any of the U.K's debt, debt accrued while Scotland was a full and active part of the U.K. Isn't that a) more of a bullying tactic than the U.K electing to not join monetary union with Scotland and b) isn't that a bit like the political equivalent of going into admin? They rack up a debt with the uk then split and start afresh with no debt?

Third) What are the legalities of Scotland refusing to pay their share of the U.K's debt? If it's legally acceptable that they don't have to, what would happen if the week before the Scottish vote for independence the English, Welsh and Northern Irish each had their own vote on independence and left Scotland holding the U.K flag and the entirety of its debt?

Surely it's not the UK bullying Scotland, it's the ruling UK government. As Scotland is part of the UK, it can't be the UK that's doing the bullying.

It's not even Wales, England and Northern Ireland bullying Scotland, as no formal representative government for these nations exists.

All a bit messy.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
they can **** off for all i care

I think we should care.

I'm quite worried about how a Yes vote would reignite issues within Northern Ireland. Already Gerry Adams has made a number of statements about the UK unravelling, and this could only add to incite republicans there further. We don't want a return to the troubles that have only just started to recede there. It's still a healing wound and this could pull that apart.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I think we should care.

I'm quite worried about how a Yes vote would reignite issues within Northern Ireland. Already Gerry Adams has made a number of statements about the UK unravelling, and this could only add to incite republicans there further. We don't want a return to the troubles that have only just started to recede there. It's still a healing wound and this could pull that apart.

Can we not get rid of Northern Ireland too, like say a spring clean .....

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Should we have the British pound, and them have the Scottish pound - both starting from the same point, and then it's up to the markets to determine what happens to them afterwards? If they're going to be independent, of course we shouldn't have to keep sharing the pound.
Secondly, it's been stated that if the U.K don't let Scotland keep the pound then the newly independent Scotland won't accept any of the U.K's debt
That's just ludicrous. Of course salmon would like that, but it's crazy. How about we reply with 'no, we'd like you to stay, but if you want independence, you take all of the debt'. Idiots.

Third) What are the legalities of Scotland refusing to pay their share of the U.K's debt?
As a common layman, you'd have to think that's impossible. How about England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland all declare independence from the UK, leaving the UK as, say, Cornwall. We all have zero debt, and Cornwall goes bankrupt. We then help out poor Cornwall, as we're nice like that. I don't think that would wash, and equally, a part of our country can't simply walk away without their share of the debt.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Can we not get rid of Northern Ireland too, like say a spring clean .....

I think many of the Protestants many of whom trace their roots back to Scottish and English settlers might object. :)

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
How will they split the gold in the BOE even if Gordon sold half of it?

What will they do with the oil revenues?

Will they take Greer back?

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Surely it's not the UK bullying Scotland, it's the ruling UK government. As Scotland is part of the UK, it can't be the UK that's doing the bullying.

It's not even Wales, England and Northern Ireland bullying Scotland, as no formal representative government for these nations exists.

All a bit messy.

Its the ruling UK government bullying the Scottish Nationalists.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here